Pointless Prize Thread 2024

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Pointless Prize Thread 2024

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Serdar
    Participant

Hi everyone! Welcome to the Pointless Prize Thread 2024!

For the first-year participants who wonder what Pointless Prizes are, I am happy to share that Pointless Prizes (AKA Reindeer Games) are entertaining activities the Freezing Saddlers enjoy in and out of a saddle. Below are the answers to some questions you might have.

Question
    Who can participate in Pointless Prizes?
    Answer
    Any participant of Freezing Saddles, including Friends of Freezing Saddles, is eligible to participate in Pointless Prizes unless otherwise specified by the sponsor of the specific prize.

Question
    Who can sponsor a Pointless Prize?
    Answer
    Anyone can sponsor a prize. In addition, participants and non-participants of the Freezing Saddles 2024 can sponsor a prize.

Question
    What are Pointless Prizes about?
    Answer
    Pointless Prizes can be about anything! They can range from serious topics like Immigrant Heritage to fun ones like Daily Photo Scavenger Hunt. What unites all topics is that every pointless prize is educational. So rest assured that you will learn, share your knowledge, and have fun by playing along.

Check out last year’s thread to see examples.

On this thread, I will keep <b>a list of the Pointless Prizes 2024</b>. If you have an idea for a game and need some help posting it, please feel free to direct message me on this forum. I will be happy to help you post a new thread.

Prize Name (Sponsor) – Description #Hashtag

1. Rescuing Food by Bike (Henry) – pick up excess food and deliver to local social service agencies, #foodrescue

2. Pizzaneuring (lordofthemark) – ride for pizza, eat pizza, and post a photo, #pizza

3. PublicArtFinder FS2024 Pointless Prize (karenbikes2@gmail.com) – ride a bike to find public art and post a photo on the forum, #publicartfinder

Only Freezing Saddlers can play this game.

4. Ross Hill Loop 2024 (randomduck) – ride the most number of laps of the Ross Hill Loop segment in Rock Creek Park, #rosshillloop

5. Tandem Rides (shirag) – Tag your tandem rides with #Tandem

6. Singlespeed (jlamb) – Tag your singlespeed rides with #singlespeed

7. Golden Spike award (arlcxrider) – ride your bike to a metro or train station and post a photo, #goldenspike

8. Meh-diocrity Pointless Prize (Steve O) – for those right in the meh-dle of the pack, no hashtag for this game is needed

9. Bicycle Bingo (cvcalhoun) – ride your bike and play Bingo, #Bingo

10. Photo Scavenger Hunt (Kelley and Serdar) – ride your bike to find the word of the day and post its photo on the forum, #scavhunt, ATTENTION! For this prize, you should be a participant in Freezing Saddles ’24. Friends of Freezing Saddles can post, but only actual participants can win prizes.

11. Socks! (Jessica Hirshhorn) – Take a photo of you in your cycling socks, #socks

12. Fire bad! (AlanA) – ride your bike and take photo of the fire stations, #fire

13. The Extra Mile FS 2024 (epilsk) – share a compelling story (or stories) of how you overcame challenges to get your daily mile(s) recorded, or to fail while trying valiantly to do so, #extramile

14. Flag (bigredboiler) – Take a photo of a flag on your ride, #flag

15. Wandrer’ About (Dachs6) – Ride your bike, outdoors…basically the same rules as Freezing Saddles, no hashtag is needed

16. Calvinball (kwarkentien) – find and hide Calvinball, no hashtag is needed

17. Street #Treats (Boomer2U) – find a street treat out in the wild while riding your bike, #treats

18. IT’S MY BIRTHDAY (JANUARY 21) (Godzilla) – Every person who rides the sponsor’s AGE IN YEARS in MILES on that day will get a prize. #happybirthdayandy

19. Pointless Prize for February only (bikingjenn) – Post a photo of something or someone HOT and #fever in your Strava feed any day in February of FS24 when the outdoor Fahrenheit temp exceeds 38 degrees (which is considered fever in Celsius), #fever

20. Roasted (ceustis) –  how much gear we could roast, no hashtag needed

P.S. Keep checking this thread! I will be adding new prizes as the sponsors announce them.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

Just to clarify, “participant” for this purpose includes Friends of BAFS, unless otherwise specified by the sponsor. It’s an opportunity for those who don’t feel they can commit to being part of a team (or this year, who are unable to register due to the 250-person cap) to join in the fun. Instructions for becoming a Friend of BAFS can be found here. @Serdar 226601 wrote:

Question
    Who can participate in Pointless Prizes?
    Answer
    Any participant of the Freezing Saddles 2023 can participate in Pointless Prizes.

Serdar
    Participant

@cvcalhoun 226607 wrote:

Just to clarify, “participant” for this purpose includes Friends of BAFS, unless otherwise specified by the sponsor. It’s an opportunity for those who don’t feel they can commit to being part of a team (or this year, who are unable to register due to the 250-person cap) to join in the fun. Instructions for becoming a Friend of BAFS can be found here.

Thank you! I edited my post.

Serdar
    Participant

Please, check this thread for newly added pointless prizes. We have 14 of them now.

Serdar
    Participant

Bumping up this thread for I added three more new pointless prizes. Check them out in the first post.

Big thank you to sponsors who volunteer their time and efforts to motivate winter riding!

bikingjenn
    Participant

moved…

jlamb
    Participant

Does anyone know how to change the pointless prize leaderboards? Singlespeed is ranking by number of rides, but this year it’s by mileage only. Maybe the easiest way to fix it would be to delete the number of rides column?

cvcalhoun
    Participant

@serdar, Public Art Finder is apparently also limited to participants in Freezing Saddles, not Friends.  You may want to edit.

obscurerichard
    Participant

Can we get this thread pinned somehow?

Serdar
    Participant

Yes. I will ask Henry now.

Serdar
    Participant

Thanks, @cvcalhoun. I edited my post.

Serdar
    Participant

Can we get this thread pinned somehow?

Pinned kindly by @Henry

Laurie E.
    Participant

What’s #fever?  I don’t see it in this list.

Serdar
    Participant

What’s #fever? I don’t see it in this list.

Laurie, #fever pointless prize is number 19 on the list.

Jessica Hirschhorn
    Participant

Hello to Serdar or anyone else who can help me find the SOCK entries.  I went through the Forum #socks and found 143 entries.  But in STRAVA there are 235 #socks on rides.  Is there a way to find just the rides with #socks in the title so that I can pull the entry photos?   Cannot figure it out.  Many thanks.

Please respond via email hirhoward@yahoo.com or text 240 286-4815

Regards, Jessica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.