Pointless Prize: Singlespeed

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Pointless Prize: Singlespeed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    jlamb
    Participant

2023 was the inaugural year of the singlespeed pointless prize. I wasn’t sure whether anyone would be interested, but participation was quite robust. 2024 promises to be bigger than ever. Think of it as training for the Singlespeed World Championships (SSWC). http://singlespeedworldchampionship.com/

Rules:
    1. Tag your singlespeed rides with #singlespeed.
    2. Both freewheel and fixed gear count.
    3. No singlespeed bike? Complete a ride without shifting, and it counts. But be warned–it’s nearly impossible to resist the urge to shift when it’s available.
    4. Most singlespeed miles wins.
    5. Post your tales of gear-mashing glory to this thread (optional). Photos encouraged.

Note the difference from last year–it’s total miles this time, not number of rides. The leaderboard was tracking mileage, and I was too lazy to figure out how to track number of rides. So let’s just go with miles.

Prize:

Just like the SSWC, the winner will be forced* to accept either a tattoo or branding. Do not win, if you do not want the tattoo or branding.

*No one will actually be forced to do anything. I’d rather not be charged with felony assault and battery. Plus, tattoos are expensive, and I don’t want to pay for one. But feel free to pay for your own tatoo or branding if you win. Or even if you don’t.

Godzilla
    Participant

I think you could probably make it a tangible prize with a custom temporary tattoo kit?

Meh
    Participant

More than one #singlespeed per day or no? Last year was no.

jlamb
    Participant

More than one ride per day is fine. Just counting total miles during FS.

jlamb
    Participant

Maybe I’ll award a temporary tattoo of Elsa from Frozen. The cold never bothered her anyway.

Sunyata
    Participant

@jlamb 226440 wrote:

Maybe I’ll award a temporary tattoo of Elsa from Frozen. The cold never bothered her anyway.

Oooh… I might be able to help with a custom temporary tattoo for this prize.

#SSOD

jlamb
    Participant

@Sunyata 226498 wrote:

Oooh… I might be able to help with a custom temporary tattoo for this prize.

Custom would be great. Much better than what I had in mind:

https://www.partycity.com/frozen-2-tattoos-1-sheet-863780.html?extcmp=pla%7CGoogle

jlamb
    Participant

Has anyone tried to use a quick release with track fork ends? With an internal cam QR skewer and a Surly tuggit chain tensioner (QR compatible), I think it should work. Just curious if any other singlespeeders have tried it.

My trusty bolt on wheel has died, and finding a disc 29er solid axle tubeless wheel with 135 spacing has been impossible.

pedrocz
    Participant

@jlamb 226626 wrote:

Has anyone tried to use a quick release with track fork ends? With an internal cam QR skewer and a Surly tuggit chain tensioner (QR compatible), I think it should work. Just curious if any other singlespeeders have tried it.

My trusty bolt on wheel has died, and finding a disc 29er solid axle tubeless wheel with 135 spacing has been impossible.

Yes, I run a quick release all the time and it has never slipped. Fixed gear, so no chain tensioner.

SarahBee
    Participant

1/2/24 #singlespeedc8c2f3397e25d4acace7b998f0c0d39a.jpg
    Got this a few years ago because I never worry about it being stolen and all you really need is 1 gear to get across the mall. That said, I’m a big baby and had to put on a smaller front chainring and larger freewheel in the back. Fingers crossed haven’t had any meetings at the postal museum yet…

drevil
    Participant

@jlamb 226626 wrote:

Multiple times, on different bikes (Surly Karate Monkey, Jamis Exile, Matt Chester Mutinyman, etc.). It sucks if you have a disc brake because even if you have a chaintug on the drive side, when you use the disc brake, the wheel slips backwards on the disc side. And it happens even if you have the internal cam, steel head Shimano skewers.

I did a ride in Tahoe on a frame with track fork ends (Jamis Exile), and EVERY TIME I USED THE BACK BRAKE, the wheel slipped and the tire would quickly start rubbing the left chainstay. After about the 50th time it happened, I was ready to throw the bike off the cliff :D

After the trip, I converted an XT hub to a solid axle with nuts, and built it into a wheel. The problem went away, but I ended up giving the bike to my nephew.

BTW, I tried to convert another SS bike of mine into geared a few years ago, and I had a hard time finding a disc, 135mm, bolt on, geared rear hub beside the XT w/ solid axle conversion. I ended up giving up and not wanting to spend any more money on it, so I sent it to my brother as a singlespeed, who I’m 99% sure hasn’t ridden it at all :D

Looking up and down the internets, and this is the only one I could find: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283584814998

I also have an older Hope rear geared hub that I converted to bolt on with this kit: https://www.modernbike.com/product-2126292753

jlamb
    Participant

@drevil 227251 wrote:

Multiple times, on different bikes (Surly Karate Monkey, Jamis Exile, Matt Chester Mutinyman, etc.). It sucks if you have a disc brake because even if you have a chaintug on the drive side, when you use the disc brake, the wheel slips backwards on the disc side. And it happens even if you have the internal cam, steel head Shimano skewers.

I did a ride in Tahoe on a frame with track fork ends (Jamis Exile), and EVERY TIME I USED THE BACK BRAKE, the wheel slipped and the tire would quickly start rubbing the left chainstay. After about the 50th time it happened, I was ready to throw the bike off the cliff :D

After the trip, I converted an XT hub to a solid axle with nuts, and built it into a wheel. The problem went away, but I ended up giving the bike to my nephew.

BTW, I tried to convert another SS bike of mine into geared a few years ago, and I had a hard time finding a disc, 135mm, bolt on, geared rear hub beside the XT w/ solid axle conversion. I ended up giving up and not wanting to spend any more money on it, so I sent it to my brother as a singlespeed, who I’m 99% sure hasn’t ridden it at all :D

Looking up and down the internets, and this is the only one I could find: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283584814998

I also have an older Hope rear geared hub that I converted to bolt on with this kit: https://www.modernbike.com/product-2126292753

I went ahead and ordered a QR rear wheel. It’s arriving in a couple days. Maybe it will work. If not, I’ll just refrain from using the rear brake and fly over the handlebars with front brake only stopping. Should be fun.

It would probably be easier to just buy a whole new cheap singlespeed bike at this point.

jlamb
    Participant

@SarahBee 227097 wrote:

1/2/24 #singlespeedc8c2f3397e25d4acace7b998f0c0d39a.jpg
    Got this a few years ago because I never worry about it being stolen and all you really need is 1 gear to get across the mall. That said, I’m a big baby and had to put on a smaller front chainring and larger freewheel in the back. Fingers crossed haven’t had any meetings at the postal museum yet…

The cheaper the singlespeed, the more fun it is to ride. Mine is a Nashbar. And there’s no shame in low gearing.

jlamb
    Participant

Glad to see some singlespeed miles already. I’m waiting for a new rear wheel to arrive for my singlespeed, so I haven’t logged any miles yet. I just don’t have the discipline to refrain from shifting on my geared bicycles.

drevil
    Participant

@jlamb 227446 wrote:

I went ahead and ordered a QR rear wheel. It’s arriving in a couple days. Maybe it will work. If not, I’ll just refrain from using the rear brake and fly over the handlebars with front brake only stopping. Should be fun.

It would probably be easier to just buy a whole new cheap singlespeed bike at this point.

You can stop like the one guy I played bike polo with: he’d jam his foot between the rear tire and the upper part of the seat tube to skid his rear tire. It was simultaneously the stupidest and amazing stopping technique I’ve ever seen [emoji23]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.