Pointless Prize: Ross Hill Loop 2024!

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Pointless Prize: Ross Hill Loop 2024!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    randomduck
    Participant

Greetings! For the second year in a row I’m sponsoring a Pointless Prize for the rider who does the most laps of the Ross Hill Loop segment in Rock Creek Park. This segment would also count for those approaching from the south – but no double-dipping, please.

This is a 3.6 mile loop that starts and ends at the intersection of Beach Drive and Joyce Road NW. It runs clockwise, so it does the climb up the Ridge Road lacets. Each lap has 264 feet of climbing.

Simply tag your rides with the #rosshillloop hashtag to put the ride in consideration (you don’t have to use the hashtag but hashtags are cool… right?). The prize will be worth the climbing. Photos not necessary but not discouraged, either.

randomduck
    Participant

And for those who believe in bad translations, here’s the basic summary:

Good morning! This is the second year Rock Creek Park has sponsored a race for runners completing the Ross Hill Loop. But look beyond that.

It is an 8.6 mile walk that begins at the intersection of Beach Drive and Joyce Road NW and runs in a clockwise direction. So go to the link. Each loop has 264 feet of reinforcement.

Just draw the car.

I’d go by the original directions if I were you… ;)

antibozo
    Participant

Is there a way to see a leaderboard for this competition?

merlin
    Participant
    antibozo
    Participant

Thanks! FWIW it’s too late to change it, but just my opinion: it’s safer to do this loop counter-clockwise. This way you are descending on Ridge where there is more traffic, and climbing on Ross where there is less.

randomduck
    Participant

It is counted either way, be it clockwise or counterclockwise.

OK, looked at both segments and they are both clockwise. And now that I’ve going back through my notes as to why I chose that way it’s because the descent is less technical if done clockwise – i.e. Ross Drive is a far gentler descent than going down Ridge Road, easier on those with less confident descending skills.

And yes, that means the climb up Ridge Road is a bit more challenging – but it’ll warm you up and isn’t this whole Freezing Saddles thing full of challenges?

merlin
    Participant

nm

antibozo
    Participant

Thanks—i don’t mind the climb either way, and i sometimes do the Ridge climb regardless; it’s just that my experience is that there are a lot more idiot motorists passing me dangerously climbing Ridge than climbing Ross. Maybe next year we could consider counting both directions. :^)

DCAKen
    Participant

A few years ago, there was the Poggio challenge, which is the uphill climb on Ross Drive. This could be revived for next year along side this one.

arlcxrider
    Participant

Whoever called that the “Poggio” has an over-active imagination. 🙂

sszibler
    Participant

Does it count if you start at the ridge road climb at broad branch and go clockwise to the Ross descent, but instead of completing the segment back to broad branch immediately, head north and later come back and finish the segment on beach drive? That’s kind of how Arlington Loops work, but I seem to be missing a loop and was wondering if that climb was for naught so I don’t do it again if that’s the case.

merlin
    Participant

A climb is never for naught but, well, your climb was for naught.

sszibler
    Participant

Uh, why? What is your understanding of how this is set up?

DCAKen
    Participant

This is not set up like the Loopy for Arlington where you can piece together smaller segments to make a loop. There are only two segments allowed…a full loop starting at the Ranger Station or a full loop starting at Broad Branch.

CCRider50
    Participant

I don’t see my Ross Hill loops on the leaderboard, have included the # on strava.  what can I do to reconcile? thx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.