2024 Pointless Prize: Street #Treats

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition 2024 Pointless Prize: Street #Treats

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    Boomer Cycles
    Participant

Treats
    This game is about finding perfectly good, orphaned #treats while riding your bike that are “lost” or dropped UNintentionally by people as they go about their daily life. While “treats” are subjective, intentionally discarded trash or garbage doesn’t count as it is not “lost” and therefore cannot be “found”. The exception to this rule is if you rescue something from someone else’s trash and give it another life by re- or up-cycling it … thus diverting its fateful destination to a landfill.

Some common street #treats are money, usually coins, and orphan gloves or hats. I’ve found $20 bills, sunglasses, a six-pack of unopened beers and a brand new pair of Speedplay Zero cleat covers. I even found a pair of Barr Mitts once,too.

How to play:
    1. Find a street treat out in the wild while riding your bike. This means a random item that was “lost” by someone and “found” by you, not something that you intentionally went out to find like a friend, or intentionally discarded as trash unless you re- or up-cycle it (i .e. put it back into use).
    2. Hashtag your ride title #treats on Strava
    3. Post a picture (1 only, please) of the street treat with some part of your bike in it to this thread and/or your Strava post.
    4. Follow me and allow me to follow you back on Strava so that your street #treats can be verified.

Scoring:
    1. One #treats point per ride posted on Strava
    2. Extra point if you re- or up-cycle the street #treats and share a story of its new life about it here or on your Strava post.
    3. Bonus points if you donate the street treat to someone in need and share a story about it here or on Strava.
    4. Angel points if you return the treat to its rightful owner (as I did with Trey Harris’s Barr Mitts) and share a story about it here or on Strava.

Note: Bonus & Angel points will be arbitrary, subjective & w/out appeal but your effort and creativity will be taken into consideration.

The winner will receive a special treat TBD. Send me a PM if you want to donate your street treat to become the award for this pointless prize.

Good luck finding street #treats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SarahBee
    Participant

Bonus point if you find discarded food, eat it, and DON’T get food poisoning???

Boomer Cycles
    Participant

@SarahBee 227237 wrote:

Bonus point if you find discarded food, eat it, and DON’T get food poisoning???

LOL … but you’ll need 2 witnesses for validation;-)

bikingjenn
    Participant

1/2/24–not a real submission but I am a self-proclaimed trash picker. Babe is packing for a renovation and I spotted tons of boxes and even plastic bins on street so raced home to beat the Recycling truck…scored a dozen boex and three nice bins–did not fetch by bike but makes a nice story of repurposing and reusing all of the Christmas box trash…

CaseyKane50
    Participant

1/3/2024
    95197760df88d296553628075858ead1.jpg

While focusing on the ground for money, what to my surprise, I found a different treat. One of Santa’s reindeers had lost an antler. Immediately, I jumped off my bike and rescued the antler from Constitution Avenue.

I briefly considered adding it to my bike, but I feared that some might call me a dork. I placed the rescued antler beside the fence at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture garden. Likely, a young child will find the antler and be thrilled to have an antler from one of Santa’s reindeer.

DCAKen
    Participant

On Beach Drive, at the Broad Branch Road intersection, I came across a set of jumper cables. Sadly, I had to leave them there 5051cdaa2a1c0582973c9bce42e7901c.jpg

bikingjenn
    Participant

1/3/24 Two #treats found-used google
    lens to figure out what they were. The first looked like it could be a plastic bike pedal but more likely a piece of a Honda headlight. The other I should’ve brought home from their curbside trash to donate somewhere–Size M lumbar back brace in good shape.d5e1e17ce5969e4c18b90de8b81e6759.jpg
    d79c555837cf834a16e4d9543952100b.jpg

Boomer Cycles
    Participant

@bikingjenn 227297 wrote:

1/2/24–not a real submission but I am a self-proclaimed trash picker. Babe is packing for a renovation and I spotted tons of boxes and even plastic bins on street so raced home to beat the Recycling truck…scored a dozen boex and three nice bins–did not fetch by bike but makes a nice story of repurposing and reusing all of the Christmas box trash…

I’ve done some dumpster diving in my day, especially around construction sites when I was remodeling my home, and found lots of lumber, electrical, insulation & drywall #treats

Laurie E.
    Participant

@Boomer2U 227072 wrote:

This game is simply about finding random but perfectly good #treats that people drop or discard and you find while riding your bike.

Some common street #treats are money, usually coins, and orphan gloves or hats. I’ve found $20 bills, sunglasses, a six-pack of unopened beers and a brand new pair of Speedplay Zero cleat covers. I even found a pair of Barr Mitts once,too.

How to play:
    1. Find a street treat out in the wild while riding your bike.
    2. Hashtag your ride title #treats on Strava
    3. Post a picture of the street treat with some part of your bike in it to this thread and/or Strava.
    4. Follow me and allow me to follow you back on Strava so that your street #treats can be verified.

Scoring:
    1. One #treats point per ride posted on Strava
    2. Extra point if you reuse, up cycle or recycle the street #treats and share a story about it here or on Strava.
    3. Bonus points if you donate the street treat to someone in need and share a story about it here or on Strava.
    4. Angel points if you return the treat to its rightful owner (as I did with Trey Harris’s Barr Mitts) and share a story about it here or on Strava.

Note: Bonus & Angel points will be arbitrary, subjective & w/out appeal but your effort and creativity will be taken into consideration.

The winner will receive a special treat TBD. Send me a PM if you want to donate your street treat to become the award for this pointless prize.

Good luck finding street #treats!

Treats 1-3-24 Oranges left on the train.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31120[/ATTACH]

CaseyKane50
    Participant

1/4/2024 Balaclava found at the “Gates of Mordor” aka Eisenhower Connection

Picked the balaclava up and draped it over the handrail. Hopefully, the owner will come to retrieve it

CaseyKane50
    Participant

1/6/2024 one lonesome children’s sock. Picked it up and put it on a table that was out of the moisture

bikingjenn
    Participant

I wanted to bring the blue funnel #Treats home to reuse/repurpose. It blew off of my bike rack. I was focused on beating the rain so I left the treat for the next person..

Jan 6, 2024

bikingjenn
    Participant

bikingjenn
    Participant

y

Steve O
    Participant

Oooo. I like this PP. Last winter I found three long-fingered biking gloves: two left and one right. So I’ve had my eye out for another right.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 130 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.