Pointless Prize: IT’S MY BIRTHDAY (JANUARY 21) (UPDATED, NEW RULES)

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Pointless Prize: IT’S MY BIRTHDAY (JANUARY 21) (UPDATED, NEW RULES)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Godzilla
    Participant

Every year, I get a little older, and usually, I celebrate with friends. This year, I’m going to celebrate it with all of you!

The game is essentially “Guess How Old Andy Will Be This Year” and ride that many miles.

My birthday is January 21. I generally celebrate for a week! So every person who rides MY AGE IN YEARS in MILES the week between January 15 and January 21 will get a prize. You can combine a couple of rides to add up to the target number, so the trick will be figuring out which rides to hashtag and merge for that prize.

To be fair, I will provide the prize to anyone who rides +/- 1 mile of my actual age for their rides. I will not tell you my actual year of birth, but I will tell you I was born on a <b>Saturday</b>.

RULES: Ride your bike outdoors some number of miles between<b> January 15-21, 2024.</b>

WINNER: Anyone who rides a number of miles equal to my age on my birthday in years (+/- 1 mile), and hashtags their rides with the required tag (below) during the period will be awarded a prize. For example, if I were turning 20 years old (I am not), then any distance between 19 and 21 miles would be a winner.

REQUIRED HASHTAG: #happybirthdayandy

THE PRIZE: Will depend on the number of winners and the availability of particular items, but will be something I certainly would buy for myself if I was buying myself a present.

CLUES SO FAR:
    I was born on a Saturday.
    It was a full moon.
    I was born in NE Ohio and there was a blizzard that year.
    I am not 100 and I am not 20.

Serdar
    Participant

@Godzilla 227163 wrote:

Every year, I get a little older, and usually, I celebrate with friends. This year, I’m going to celebrate it with all of you!

My birthday is January 21. Every person who rides MY AGE IN YEARS in MILES on that day will get a prize. To be fair, I will provide the prize to anyone who rides +/- 1 mile of my actual age on that day. I will not tell you my actual year of birth, but I will tell you I was born on a Saturday.

RULES: Ride your bike outdoors some number of miles on January 21, 2024.

WINNER: Anyone who rides a number of miles equal to my age on my birthday in years (+/- 1 mile) will be awarded a prize. For example, if I were turning 20 years old (I am not), then any distance between 19 and 21 miles would be a winner.

REQUIRED HASHTAG: #happybirthdayandy

THE PRIZE: Will depend on the number of winners and the availability of particular items, but will be something I certainly would buy for myself if I was buying myself a present.

I love the idea. No one can plan a win on this one, and that’s the best part.

Boomer Cycles
    Participant

This going to take one epic bike ride … According to Monarch agent Ishiro Serizawa’s hypothesis, Godzilla was an ancient alpha predator who thrived during the Late Permian Period “over 250 million years ago” and was forced to retreat to the ocean depths after the Earth’s surface radiation levels declined because of an asteroid impact, which prevented him and …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kbikeva
    Participant

@Boomer2U 227264 wrote:

This going to take one epic bike ride … According to Monarch agent Ishiro Serizawa’s hypothesis, Godzilla was an ancient alpha predator who thrived during the Late Permian Period “over 250 million years ago” and was forced to retreat to the ocean depths after the Earth’s surface radiation levels declined because of an asteroid impact, which prevented him and …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone can get it done Boomer, you have my vote!

Godzilla
    Participant

@Kbikeva 227266 wrote:

If anyone can get it done Boomer, you have my vote!

We believe in you, Boomer!

Sunyata
    Participant

Hmm…. I love a good puzzle!

If the weather cooperates, this might be a good day for a pizza ride out in LoCo!

Godzilla
    Participant

@Sunyata 227314 wrote:

Hmm…. I love a good puzzle!

If the weather cooperates, this might be a good day for a pizza ride out in LoCo!

As pizza is my favorite food, I support this!

I, however, probably won’t be able to join you in LoCo. I’ll be out for a morning ride, gotta be back in time for my wife to go and start her indoor climbing classes.

I will probably get my local club out for a spin though. Huzzah huzzah!

Godzilla
    Participant

Bumping this up to remind everyone that tomorrow is my birthday and that if you manage to ride a number of miles as the years I’ve been alive (plus or minus one), then you can get a pointless prize!

I’ve given one clue: I was born on a Saturday. The other clue I offered is that it was a full moon (technically the first night of the Wolf Moon, which is gnarly). Figure out the year, ride miles equal to how many years it has been.

I will be doing part of that distance with members of our team, BAFS2024BAMFBBCCVELO tomorrow morning, starting at Kaldi’s Social House in Downtown Silver Spring, meeting at 8:00AM and rolling up Beach Drive starting at 8:30Am.

I know it’s cold, but I was born in NE Ohio in the middle of a blizzard, so I’m going to lead the charge here. Have a good one, and see you out there!

bikesnick
    Participant

#HappyBirthdayAndy tomorrow.

I will not be participating in this challenge, but it was fun to try finding your age based on the crumbs of information you left for us. It will be interesting to see if I am right. Thanks for the fun.

Glad you are cycling and enjoying it.

Godzilla
    Participant

Well I can tell you that I won’t be able to meet my own challenge! That cold is terrible… Depending on numbers, I may just have to award a prize to whoever gets closest. We’ll see!

Nadine
    Participant

1/21/24

FWIW I often ride my age in miles within a coupla weeks of my birthday but not on the exact date. For example my last birthday was a biggish one so my  daughter came to visit. At this point riding my age in miles is kinda a whole day event, so even though it was perfect weather I waited I think a week & a half  to ride my birthday miles.

Andy, you have my permission to do the same 😁🎂🎉🎁🎊

Godzilla
    Participant

I might retool this to a range of dates and give people the opportunity to go back and update their hashtags.

Once I get the numbers I’ll see if we need to expand it.

Godzilla
    Participant

There, I expanded the rules. See above!

cvcalhoun
    Participant

@godzilla wrote:

I was born in NE Ohio in the middle of a blizzard

As one who grew up in NE Ohio, I can say that isn’t much of a clue. Any time between Thanksgiving and Easter is probably in the middle of a blizzard!

Godzilla
    Participant

So we have two winners! Carol and Merlin both got within the range… I turned 46 this year, and the two of them were able to cobble together rides that amounted to a number of miles between 45 and 47. I will have prizes for them at the happy hour!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.