Pointless Prize 2024 – #Flag

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Pointless Prize 2024 – #Flag

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,341 total)
  • Author
    bigredboiler
    Participant

March 15 update – IMPORTANT UPDATE — TIEBREAKER — NEW RULE for March 16-17 ONLY

For one day (rider’s choice) – either Sat or Sun, March 16-17, you can get as many flags as you see on your ride.

Details:

• You can only do this one day (your choice; either Sat or Sun).
    • You only need to post one flag to forum.  Tell me how many flags you are claiming though.
    • I will check your Strava to verify.
    • I will add all valid flags to your total in the Google tracker spreadsheet.
    • Same rules as always…needs to be a “real” flag
      • Basically at least 3’x5′ rectangle…can be other shaped sometimes
      • Generally on a pole (my discretion  for other mounts)
      • The goal is making sure it’s a “real” flag (not a banner, tiny yard sign, etc.)

Hit me up with any questions.  I’ll try to keep monitoring the forum…..Kris

March 14 update — check the Forum Friday late afternoon/evening for tiebreaker details.  I’ll post here and in-line as a new post.  Everyone has done such an impressive job riding & finding flags each day.

Jan 23 update — I’ll keep up the “tracker” tab of the Google Sheet (every day or two typically), but I can’t keep up with the “detail” sheet given all the participation (thank you all….happy to see the interest!).

The detail sheet was my way to make sure a person only posted a certain flag once, but it’s too time consuming to maintain daily.

Jan 9 update — Sorry formatting is poor now.  New forum doesn’t allow me to edit and preserve prior formatting or use color 🙁  I didn’t even make a material update.  Just reminder to include date & flag name in the post.

A New Pointless Prize – Go find some flags!

In a nutshell:

• Take a photo of a flag on your ride (only 1/day will count)
    • Post the photo to this thread in the forum (identify the date + flag (especially if the flag is not obvious)
    • Hashtag your Strava ride #Flag

Rule update Jan 3: Flag must be on a flag pole (vertical pole or angled mounted to a building)….already posted “other” flags count…but let’s make this more “traditional” flag size/style going forward (e.g. no more little yard banners, etc.)
    Rule update Jan 4: My discretion to count any flag not on a traditional pole (rule update above).  Generally, I’ll count “real” flags (think full size, representing a generally known entity/cause)

If / When forum is down –> Just post to forum (with date of ride/photo) when it’s back up. I’ll update everything after that (…and keep adding photo & #flag to your Strava as normal)

More Details:

• A particular flag type will only count once per person (e.g. only one USA flag, one MD State flag, etc.)
    • You can only count up to 3 flags from a specific place during the competition (e.g. max 3 flags from the US Capitol, or a specific Embassy, or Gov’t building, etc.)
    • You need to be able to identify the flag to me (if it’s not obvious)….again, so we know it’s not a duplicate
    • Any flag is fine (must be in flag” form…e,g. not a bumper sticker, sign, etc. ….but a physical flag). I’ll be the sole decider of what counts or not if something is questionable.  ***Note rule updates from Jan 3-4…more details on “real” flags
    • Here is a Google Sheet I’ll use to keep track and all to see/follow along
    • You must post the flag the day of the competition (e.g. no sandbagging a week, a month, etc. and posting all at once).

Winner: The one with the most #Flag rides

• Prize is likely a bike related gift card (unless I think of something better)
    • Jan 3 update: Looks like I might need to come up with a tiebreaker 🙂 ….I’ll brainstorm something…thanks to all for the ideas/suggestions

Let me know questions and I’ll edit this post to clarify details as needed.

Kris

cvcalhoun
    Participant

@bigredboiler 226897 wrote:

A New Pointless Prize – Go find some flags!

In a nutshell:

• Take a photo of a flag on your ride (only 1/day will count)
    • Post the photo to this thread in the forum (identify the flag if it’s not obvious)
    • Hashtag your Strava ride #Flag

More Details:

• A particular flag will only count once (e.g. only one USA flag, one MD State flag, etc.)
    • You can only count up to 3 flags from a specific place during the competition (e.g. max 3 flags from the US Capitol, or a specific Embassy, or Gov’t building, etc.)
    • You need to be able to identify the flag to me (if it’s not obvious)….again, so we know it’s not a duplicate
    • I’ll make a Google Sheet to keep track and post a link here for all to see
    • You must post the flag the day of the competition (e.g. no sandbagging a week, a month, etc. and posting all at once).

Winner: The one with the most #Flag rides

• Prize is likely a bike related gift card (unless I think of something better)

Let me know questions and I’ll edit this post to clarify details as needed.

Kris

Are we talking only official (country, state, or county) flags? Or would for example a flag of a sports team count? A POW flag? A flag of one of the branches of the military?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

bigredboiler
    Participant

Any flag is fine….I updated the post to clarify.

AlanA
    Participant

Yay! That will give me something fun to do this Winter. I like simple games.

p.s. I was out on a walk today and I was surprised at how many different flags I saw. It will be interesting to see what people come up with.

Indiana
    Participant

Re: A particular flag will only count once (e.g. only one USA flag, one MD State flag, etc.)

Is that once per competitor? I.e. can multiple competitors count the same flag?
    Or once per competition? Meaning retiring the flag once someone posts it?

Thanks for sponsoring!!

cvcalhoun
    Participant

1/1/2024
    Marriott flag from the Marriott on Pooks Hill Road, Bethesda.

2382f14cf2794f5247a8d9fa7da20377.jpg

bigredboiler
    Participant

@Indiana 226936 wrote:

Re: A particular flag will only count once (e.g. only one USA flag, one MD State flag, etc.)

Is that once per competitor? I.e. can multiple competitors count the same flag?
    Or once per competition? Meaning retiring the flag once someone posts it?

Thanks for sponsoring!!

Each competitor can only get a particular flag once.
    Meaning everyone could find a USA flag once.

Kris

Sent from my moto g 5G – 2024 using Tapatalk

consularrider
    Participant

#flag – Papal/Vatican States in front of St James Catholic Church rectory on Park Ave, Falls Church

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30944[/ATTACH]

CBGanimal
    Participant

#flag 1/1/24 Football team(s) flag

d28f25941306f80838846bb671486f23.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rumpuscat
    Participant

1/1/2024 – Buffalo Bills flag, Riverdale Park, MD

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30954[/ATTACH]

Serdar
    Participant

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30957[/ATTACH]
    The Tree Flag (or the Appeal to Heaven Flag) was one of the flags used during the American Revolution. The flag, which featured a pine tree with the motto “An Appeal to Heaven,” or less frequently “An Appeal to God”, was originally used by a squadron of six frigates that were commissioned under George Washington’s authority as Commander-in-chief of the Continental Army in October 1775. (Wikipedia)

1/1/23 #flag
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30960[/ATTACH]
    University of South Florida, Freetown Dr, Reston, VA

matteblack
    Participant

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30959[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30961[/ATTACH]

Christmas Begins with Christ

I’m not sure how this is going to work out for me, most of the flags on my ride out here in the wilderness of suburbia are US flags. Oh well, at least it makes for a more “in the present” ride looking for flags vs just putting in the miles over the next 2+ months.

DCAKen
    Participant

Old Glory looking a little twisted

0bd8e698b360b7e274bcb29422f71c08.jpg

LeftyLaura
    Participant

#flag, 1/1/2024, Greece[ATTACH=CONFIG]30965[/ATTACH]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,341 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.