Pointless prize: Fire bad!

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Pointless prize: Fire bad!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 615 total)
  • Author
    AlanA
    Participant

We all realize that a fire is a bad thing. Luckily, there are many FD’s and VFD’s around to help put them out.

Your job is to take a picture of one of them while on a bike ride.

In addition to taking pictures of PO’s, I also like to take pictures of FD’s. It’s another a great way to keep track of where I’ve been. I’ll probably play along, but I won’t give myself a prize.

Here are the basic rules (subject to change if I get a lot of questions):

1. One station per day.
    2. No repeating the same station. However, I realize that many counties/cities have multiple locations. A different station in the same county/city would be fine.
    3. I really don’t care about you or your bike. I want to see the name of the station somewhere in the picture. I’ll accept a sign, but I’d prefer the actual building.
    4. You don’t have to post a picture on this thread, but it would be appreciated. I like to see what people come up with. It’s also a great way to interact with others.
    5. If somone is getting so many pictures but not posting on here, you need to let me have access to your Strava feed so I can see if all looks legit. Trust me, it will only be for a short time. I don’t follow many people.
    6. Use #fire on your Strava post and make sure to post the picture to your activity. (Assuming the admins say that #fire is ok)
    7. As usual, prizes to be determined. Most likely for top 3 unless there is very little interest.
    8. I’d say bonus points if you see a real fire, but like the title says: Fire bad!
    9. Feel free to stop by a station and thank the people for what they are doing. No points for that, but it should make you feel good.
    10. (added per below post) A picture of a FD in action or on a call will also work. However, make sure you get the name of the Company in the picture. No going back to the building and taking another picture of the same company. I don’t want people taking random pictures of fire trucks on the road. On this addition, if you post a picture of someone’s house burning down or something even worse, you will be disqualified. I’m doing this for fun, not to be depressed.
    11. You can find the leaders at: https://freezingsaddles.org/pointless/hashtag/fire

p.s. A picture like this would be just fine!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30940[/ATTACH]

Kbikeva
    Participant

@AlanA 226779 wrote:

We all realize that a fire is a bad thing. Luckily, there are many FD’s and VFD’s around to help put them out.

Your job is to take a picture of one of them while on a bike ride.

In addition to taking pictures of PO’s, I also like to take pictures of FD’s. It’s another a great way to keep track of where I’ve been. I’ll probably play along, but I won’t give myself a prize.

Here are the basic rules (subject to change if I get a lot of questions):

1. One station per day.
    2. No repeating the same station. However, I realize that many counties/cities have multiple locations. A different station in the same county/city would be fine.
    3. I really don’t care about you or your bike. I want to see the name of the station somewhere in the picture. I’ll accept a sign, but I’d prefer the actual building.
    4. You don’t have to post a picture on this thread, but it would be appreciated. I like to see what people come up with. It’s also a great way to interact with others.
    5. If somone is getting so many pictures but not posting on here, you need to let me have access to your Strava feed so I can see if all looks legit. Trust me, it will only be for a short time. I don’t follow many people.
    6. Use #fire on your Strava post and make sure to post the picture to your activity. (Assuming the admins say that #fire is ok)
    7. As usual, prizes to be determined. Most likely for top 3 unless there is very little interest.
    8. I’d say bonus points if you see a real fire, but like the title says: Fire bad!
    9. Feel free to stop by a station and thank the people for what they are doing. No points for that, but it should make you feel good.

p.s. A picture like this would be just fine!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30940[/ATTACH]

Hot idea, Alan!

How about taking a photo of a fire dept vehicle out on a run? (as opposed to parked at the grocery store while they shop…)? It wouldn’t show the firehouse, but it would still be cool…er…hot…but not bad?

AlanA
    Participant

@Kbikeva 226786 wrote:

Hot idea, Alan!

How about taking a photo of a fire dept vehicle out on a run? (as opposed to parked at the grocery store while they shop…)? It wouldn’t show the firehouse, but it would still be cool…er…hot…but not bad?

I’m pretty easy going. I’ll go ahead and add this to the rules. However, I don’t wan’t to see any picture of someone’s house burning down or people in distress. This is supposed to be something fun and not depressing!

Kbikeva
    Participant

@AlanA 226795 wrote:

I’m pretty easy going. I’ll go ahead and add this to the rules. However, I don’t wan’t to see any picture of someone’s house burning down or people in distress. This is supposed to be something fun and not depressing!

Oh yikes, no we don’t want that! I think most of the time I see our local crew going out it’s over before it really gets started, thank goodness!

jlamb
    Participant

I hereby resolve that the rules be amended to award bonus points for visiting every fire station in a city or county, proportionate to the number of stations in said jurisdiction.

AlanA
    Participant

@jlamb 226862 wrote:

I hereby resolve that the rules be amended to award bonus points for visiting every fire station in a city or county, proportionate to the number of stations in said jurisdiction.

I really like that idea. However, what I don’t like is extra work on my part. Determining what would count as a jurisdiction sounds like too much work as does trying to keep track of all the areas that people ride in. I like to keep things simple and just ride my bike.
    That being said, if you (or someone else) happens to get every station in a place that has more than 15 stations and bring it to my attention here, I’ll make sure you at least get a mention at the closing happy hour (and maybe something else).
    I’m not including this in my original post as a rule. If someone else chimes in about this, I may make a clarification.

consularrider
    Participant

#fire – Arlington/FCC Station #6 located next to the W&OD between Langston Blvd and Little Falls St. The station is at the end of the drive. they scrambled shortly after the picture was taken and I was passed on Washington Blvd in Westover by a fire dept SUV and ambulance, heard lots of sirens behind me. Wreck on I-66?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30943[/ATTACH]

CBGanimal
    Participant

#fire 1/1/24 Neenah – Menasha station 31 two of the cute towns along the Fox River

5b9ad1db9901d73ab6e1e49eb958d3eb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AlanA
    Participant

I got lucky and got a fire engine, too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30969[/ATTACH]

LeftyLaura
    Participant

#fire 1/1/2024, I need clarification!@! Is a safety center a fire station? It looks right, it has a fire engine bay but also has other interests.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30972[/ATTACH]

SarahBee
    Participant

545de8e1e4c5ec65dd2100f70f133824.jpg
    #fire – Clearly @consularider and I were on the same trails today :)

CaseyKane50
    Participant

Alexandria Fire Station #201 Prince Street, Alexandria, VA
    e25f901798ebb28819f8dc6d4ac145ca.jpg

DCAKen
    Participant

DCFD Engine Company 288655297d7882eccc3ea0a5ed814de0d9.jpg

AlanA
    Participant

@CBGanimal 226982 wrote:

#fire 1/1/24 Neenah – Menasha station 31 two of the cute towns along the Fox River

5b9ad1db9901d73ab6e1e49eb958d3eb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had to look that up to see where it was. I guess it wasn’t cold enough for you around here.

AlanA
    Participant

@LeftyLaura 227004 wrote:

#fire 1/1/2024, I need clarification!@! Is a safety center a fire station? It looks right, it has a fire engine bay but also has other interests.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30972[/ATTACH]

It works for me, and it’s my game!

Just curious, where is this? The picture was too small for me to figure it out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 615 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.