Weekly Coffee Gatherings

Our Community Forums Events Weekly Coffee Gatherings

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 338 total)
  • Author
    Smitty2k1
    Participant

Oh where is the FS calendar? I just clicked the calendar link on the forum navigation bar and it has nothing newer than 2020

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25309[/ATTACH]

Steve O
    Participant

@Smitty2k1 210564 wrote:

Oh where is the FS calendar?

go to freezingsaddles.org and scroll down

accordioneur
    Participant

I am posting just the opening paragraphs, not the whole article because I respect the NYT’s copyright – but the opinion expressed should be understandable to those of us who attend coffee clubs (the author is a little friendlier to electric blowers than I’d like):

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/25/opinion/leaf-blowers-california-emissions.html

The First Thing We Do, Let’s Kill All the Leaf Blowers
    By Margaret Renkl

“NASHVILLE — Into these perfect October afternoons, when light gleams on the red dogwood berries and the blue arrowwood berries and the purple beautyberries; on the last of the many-colored zinnias and the last of the yellow marigolds and the last of the white snakeroot flowers; on the shining hair of babies in strollers and the shining ponytails of young mothers and the tender, shining heads of old men walking dogs — into the midst of all this beauty, the kind of beauty that makes despair seem like only a figment of the midnight imagination, the monsters arrive.

They come in a deafening, surging swarm, blasting from lawn to lawn and filling the air with the stench of gasoline and death. I would call them mechanical locusts, descending upon every patch of gold in the neighborhood the way the grasshoppers of old would arrive, in numbers so great they darkened the sky, to lay bare a cornfield in minutes. But that comparison is unfair to locusts. Grasshoppers belong here. Gasoline-powered leaf blowers are invaders, the most maddening of all the maddening, environment-destroying tools of the American lawn-care industry.”

consularrider
    Participant

It was almost comical watching a guy with a leaf blower on Connecticut Ave, NW yesterday trying to blow leave and grass cuttings. The 25 mph winds made it the work of Sisyphus.

Steve O
    Participant

@accordioneur 211573 wrote:

and the tender, shining heads of old men

(no comment)

Steve O
    Participant

Whole Foods Thursday (WTF) Coffee Club returns.
    As of Nov. 4, we meet at Whole Foods – Pentagon City
    Hope to see you there.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Steve O
    Participant

@Steve O 211610 wrote:

Whole Foods Thursday (WTF) Coffee Club returns.
    As of Nov. 4, we meet at Whole Foods – Pentagon City
    Hope to see you there.

Evidently, if you fail to attend HDCC, you may not know where to go on Thursday.
    For Thursday, Nov. 11, we are back at Pentagon Row by the ice rink.

CaseyKane50
    Participant

@Steve O 211652 wrote:

Evidently, if you fail to attend HDCC, you may not know where to go on Thursday.
    For Thursday, Nov. 11, we are back at Pentagon Row by the ice rink.

And we will gather at 8 am on November 11.

lordofthemark
    Participant

So it was mentioned this morning that Whole Foods Thursday CC will usually be indoors for the winter (outside this AM, because nice weather). I am wondering which CC’s are planning to remain outdoors, which indoors, and for those that vary with the weather, if anyone could (I know this is a difficult ask) somehow specify the weather conditions that will lead to indoors (or to outdoors)?

For the benefit of those of us willing go to CC again, but not quite ready to eat indoors, even with vaxxed friends (or waiting to get boosted).

TIA

Judd
    Participant

@lordofthemark 211681 wrote:

So it was mentioned this morning that Whole Foods Thursday CC will usually be indoors for the winter (outside this AM, because nice weather). I am wondering which CC’s are planning to remain outdoors, which indoors, and for those that vary with the weather, if anyone could (I know this is a difficult ask) somehow specify the weather conditions that will lead to indoors (or to outdoors)?

For the benefit of those of us willing go to CC again, but not quite ready to eat indoors, even with vaxxed friends (or waiting to get boosted).

TIA

Tuesdays are at Mah Ze Dahr on Crystal Drive and inside when it’s cold. The decision on inside or outside is based on negotiation among attendees on whether it’s nice enough outside or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

komorebi
    Participant

@lordofthemark 211681 wrote:

TIA

It’s probably safe to assume that CC will be indoors for the next few months, unless it’s at least 50 degrees outside and there’s sun at the outdoors location.

Indoors locations are (I think) as follows: Mondays at Swing’s on E. Monroe, Tuesdays at Mah Ze Dahr on Crystal Drive, Wednesdays at Best Buns in Shirlington, Thursdays at Whole Foods in Pentagon City, and Friday at Misha’s on Prince Street. I generally keep my mask on when we’re indoors.

lordofthemark
    Participant

@komorebi 211683 wrote:

It’s probably safe to assume that CC will be indoors for the next few months, unless it’s at least 50 degrees outside and there’s sun at the outdoors location.

Indoors locations are (I think) as follows: Mondays at Swing’s on E. Monroe, Tuesdays at Mah Ze Dahr on Crystal Drive, Wednesdays at Best Buns in Shirlington, Thursdays at Whole Foods in Pentagon City, and Friday at Misha’s on Prince Street. I generally keep my mask on when we’re indoors.

I mean if I could take my caffeine intravenously ……

To be clear – I had my two shots months ago, and have been doing more things since then. But at least one member of my household is very COVID cautious, and I respect that – mostly I have been waiting to get my booster, and to see local case #s go down a bit further before unmasked indoor dining – ALX is down to 10 cases per 100,000 people per day, but national case #s are up (yeah, I know vax vs unvax, cases vs hospitalizations, etc – in my household we would like a lot more infor on long COVID) Plus I have this OCD thing where I insist on dining in one of those “igloos” before full indoor dining – we missed that last winter when we didn’t go out to eat at all – I haven’t managed that yet. Hopefully I will get my booster in the next few days, and we can manage an igloo meal soon, and then I can discuss it with my HH.

OTOH 40 and cloudy seems like its fine for outdoor coffee, to me. :)

CaseyKane50
    Participant

@lordofthemark 211684 wrote:

To be clear – I had my two shots months ago, and have been doing more things since then. But at least one member of my household is very COVID cautious, and I respect that – mostly I have been waiting to get my booster, and to see local case #s go down a bit further before unmasked indoor dining – ALX is down to 10 cases per 100,000 people per day, but national case #s are up (yeah, I know vax vs unvax, cases vs hospitalizations, etc – in my household we would like a lot more infor on long COVID) Plus I have this OCD thing where I insist on dining in one of those “igloos” before full indoor dining – we missed that last winter when we didn’t go out to eat at all – I haven’t managed that yet. Hopefully I will get my booster in the next few days, and we can manage an igloo meal soon, and then I can discuss it with my HH.

OTOH 40 and cloudy seems like its fine for outdoor coffee, to me. :)

Come early and be an influencer. I am sure some could be talked in to drinking outside. Last winter, several of us gathered most days in temperatures well below 40 and enjoyed good company and hot beverages.

komorebi
    Participant

@lordofthemark 211684 wrote:

I’m not a coffee drinker, and I’m usually not hungry that early in the morning. So coffee club for me is actually more like “hang out with friends and buy a pastry to eat later” club. But that doesn’t roll trippingly off the tongue. :)

Steve O
    Participant

@komorebi 211686 wrote:

So coffee club for me is actually more like “hang out with friends and buy a pastry to eat later” club. But that doesn’t roll trippingly off the tongue. :)

Then just use the acronym: HOWFABAPTEL

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 338 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.