W&W London Bridge Pointless Prize Log

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition W&W London Bridge Pointless Prize Log

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 271 total)
  • Author
    wheelswings
    Participant

@consularrider 133872 wrote:

I will have to defer on definition to W&W who created this Pointless Prize. I think a fall should include both the bike and the rider hitting the ground/snow/pavement.

What constitutes a “fall” for the London Bridge prize?

To me it means you don’t catch yourself with your feet and stay upright … you actually go down in one way or another. I have no interest in getting lawyerly and technical. If you feel it was a fall, and you live to tell the tale, that is good enough for me.

I don’t care about your bike… I mean, I do care, but not for this prize. If your bike magically stays upright in a snowbank while you topple over the handle bars, then that counts too (and I’d love to see the video :)).

I hope you do not get hurt… I hope everyone falls into nice deep fresh snow! But I know a lot of us are getting banged up, bruised, scraped, cracked…. It all counts.

Be safe! Happy riding. w&w

vvill
    Participant

I’m on one. Bike came to an unintentional stop on a gentle uphill in snow/slush about 10 feet into a ride. Didn’t unclip in time. Hopefully my next door neighbors didn’t see it.

Anonymous

I believe per the definitions offered, one for me.

I put a foot down on invisible ice. Foot went sliding one direction, bike went sliding the opposite direction. Bike wound up on the ground and while I kept most of my body off the pavement, I had to catch myself with my hands (and maybe put a knee down) and carefully crabwalk off the slippery part before I could stand back up again and then retrieve the bike. It was all slow enough that it was more of a gentle lowering to the ground rather than truly falling, but it was certainly unintentional and neither me nor bike remained upright.

Steve O
    Participant

@wheels&wings 133878 wrote:

I have no interest in getting lawyerly. .

(psst, everyone. ‘dja know she’s got a Harvard JD?)

Boomer Cycles
    Participant

I went down twice on Snowmaggedon Friday on my commute home from DC. Once on 4MR where I failed to navigate the S turn leading up to the sewage plant (right shoulder is still a bit tender from that one). The second fall was after I hurried to cross Lee Highway on the WOD, and couldn’t brake fast enough after clearing the busy intersection (wounded pride, as I was out in the open and had a line of cars staring right at me). Luckily I was on my steely hybrid, El Gordito, and he didn’t care one way or the other.

Oh, and my real name is Bruce, and I’m from Nu Joisey, too.

Terpfan
    Participant

Also, given our definition, I will rescind my one fall since I don’t feel it really counted. I’m more cautious since my last fall involved stiches, then again that was on a beautiful warm day without any snow.

Kitty
    Participant

I have 4 total, all related to the pre-blizzard ice night:

Wed Jan 20 (Ice Night)
    *Going uphill on Pershing between Garfield and Highland — first fall on this bike since I got her in May
    *Going downhill on Clarendon after Courthouse (past the road closure with the flares :rolleyes:) — bike and rider slid down the pavement for a few yards with the rider shouting a sarcastic “weeee”
    *A block from my apartment in Rosslyn — couldn’t get traction on an iced over subway grate

Thurs Jan 21 (aftermath)
    *New Hampshire through GWU — explained to my boss why I was walking funny and he asked “Isn’t…isn’t there another way you can get to work?”

Dickie
    Participant

2 for me (so far)… both this morning. First on the WOD between Carlin Springs and 50. My bike followed an ice rut directly into the snow bank which didn’t end well…. did the exact same thing near the tennis courts at Shreve.

jlevine
    Participant

Shortly after learning about this pointless prize just this morning, the black ice got me as I was making a slow, right turn on to Westmoreland St. from Fairfax Dr. It confirmed my intent not to win this prize, and to go back to studs on morning rides.

JonRobot
    Participant

oh man, if i knew my terrible bike handling skills would come in handy, i would have stayed out longer on the blizzard saturday. i only fell three times (full on sideways falls into piles of snow). a woman who was shoveling her stairs saw me one of the times and asked if i was just learning to ride a bike. awkward

Steve O
    Participant

two

DrP
    Participant

Two so far.

Both on pre-blizzard snow/slick road night.
    First on Fairfax after getting off Bluemont because a car slipped on the road and I tried to avoid it and went down.
    Second on Harrison trying to go up hill and tire slipped for three or more attempted pedal rotations.

BTC_DC
    Participant

Only one so far that truly counts.

I stubbornly insisted on riding over ice sheets on Crystal Dr during the pre-blizzard Thursday morning refreeze. Made memorable given the metro bus which (to me) seemed to be following too close behind. Nice thing about ice, you keep sliding forward after falling.

Dickie
    Participant

Make that three! Hit the slush last night at speed near the tennis courts at Shreve on the WOD….it was dark, I was rolling too fast, and I’m an idiot. Got sideways and ended up in the ditch…. which was filled with ice cold water and slush. I emerged half soaked and really cold. Had to strip down on the trail and put on the spare clothes from my backpack…. well at least the ones that were on the dry side of the back pack….. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF*&K

Mikey
    Participant

Wow! sorry to hear that Dickie, I bet it looked freaking hilarious to everyone but you!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 271 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.