#PublicArtFinder FS2024 Pointless Prize

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition #PublicArtFinder FS2024 Pointless Prize

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 682 total)
  • Author
    CCRider50
    Participant

Art on corner of Old Georgetown Road and Glenbrook Road[ATTACH=CONFIG]31027[/ATTACH]

Kbikeva
    Participant

1/2/24 Publicartfinder

This mural is on the wall of a DIY car wash. The woman who owns the car wash came out and told me that it was painted in honor of a man, Dustin, who died of a heart attack. You can see the imagery of the heart with the knife or arrow. His daughter was a newborn at the time. Her mom brings her every year to have her photo taken with the mural.50181a5b5966000b6003698514f92ba3.jpg

Note: Between my two rides today, I did ride 10 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robbie Rob
    Participant

1/2/24–#publicartfinder
    The Fredrick Douglas Bridge playing in the Anacostia River.b37171b15006979e6164eceef0a662fa.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Kbikeva
    Participant

@karenbikes2@gmail.com 227093 wrote:

Haha, the sponsor (that would be me, ahem) who included the bike-in-photo requirement failed to include my bike in the photo. I have since removed the #publicartfinder hashtag.

Yes, please delete the photo and hashtag, and thanks.

I did delete both. But it makes me really sad because it was such a beautiful mural. At one point when I was taking photos I actually considered putting my bike in it (just because we do that as cyclists) but decided not to as I thought it would be disrespectful to such a culturally significant piece. If I’d only gone ahead and been insensitive. LOL…

Laurie E.
    Participant

Pig 1-2-24 In Clinton, MD

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31045[/ATTACH]

Serdar
    Participant

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31051[/ATTACH]

New2Me mural on Mount Vernon Trail in Old Town. Thanks to pedrocz for posting it yesterday.

Sophie CW
    Participant

Found this in the playground at Croydon Nature Center in Rockville, but it looks like art to me:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]31055[/ATTACH]

Indiana
    Participant

1/2/24

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31057[/ATTACH]

Sometimes public art is flashy and in your face. Other times it’s as simple as a sprinkling of stars marking the path forward under a flying V of geese.

Boomer Cycles
    Participant

1/2/24 – WAVE ARBOR by Douglas Hollis (2011) Long Bridge Park, Arlington VA
    740d846fec7db34ca20ffd78208faf54.jpg
    Made of anodized aluminum, stainless steel, painted steel w/ solar powered LED lighting. The “wings” move in response to the wind and allow light to pass through them, creating shadows below. Lights at the ends of each
    “wing” register the motion of the wind at night.

@Kbikeva 227204 wrote:

I did delete both. But it makes me really sad because it was such a beautiful mural. At one point when I was taking photos I actually considered putting my bike in it (just because we do that as cyclists) but decided not to as I thought it would be disrespectful to such a culturally significant piece. If I’d only gone ahead and been insensitive. LOL…

I hear you, it is indeed a gorgeous mural. Any chance you can redo it with your bike? You whole bike doesn’t need to be in the pic, just a portion of it – seat, part of handlebars, etc.

Kbikeva
    Participant

@karenbikes2@gmail.com 227272 wrote:

I hear you, it is indeed a gorgeous mural. Any chance you can redo it with your bike? You whole bike doesn’t need to be in the pic, just a portion of it – seat, part of handlebars, etc.

We’ll see. I’ll be out of commission for riding for the next couple of days but when I get back, I might try it. But this place has a WORLD of great public art, so no shortage!

@Kbikeva 227193 wrote:

1/2/24 Publicartfinder

This mural is on the wall of a DIY car wash. The woman who owns the car wash came out and told me that it was painted in honor of a man, Dustin, who died of a heart attack. You can see the imagery of the heart with the knife or arrow. His daughter was a newborn at the time. Her mom brings her every year to have her photo taken with the mural.50181a5b5966000b6003698514f92ba3.jpg

Note: Between my two rides today, I did ride 10 miles.

Dang, Kelley, another gorgeous mural, and this time with your bike :) And I love the story behind it, thanks for sharing that! BUT alas, an art find on a ride that’s less than 10 miles does not count, even if you ride multiple rides in a day that total 10 miles or more. Evidently that wasn’t crystal clear in the original post of the rules so I’ll let this post count. I’ve modified the post to clarify: “An art find on a ride that’s less than 10 miles does not count, even if you ride multiple rides in a day that total 10 miles or more.”

bikingjenn
    Participant

1/2/24-#publicartfinder
    some people consider graffiti is art. This art (until painted over) can be found abutting the Custis Trail on the wall of the Key Bridge Marriott parking lot in Rosslyn.

a02a2a7139f7bafbb690587ff3b13a7e.jpg

@SarahBee 227122 wrote:

I took the post down and removed the hashtag from my Strava ride.

Are you enforcing the at least 10 mile ride rule on Strava only?

Yes, the 10-mile rule is in effect. I revised the rules to make it clear that the art find will only count if it’s on a ride that’s at least 10 miles long.

bikingjenn
    Participant

@karenbikes2@gmail.com 227280 wrote:

Yes, the 10-mile rule is in effect. I revised the rules to make it clear that the art find will only count if it’s on a ride that’s at least 10 miles long.

@karenbikes2
    @gmail.com
    Did I read correctly that 1/1 art must be posted to forum on 1/1 and so forth?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 682 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.