My Morning Commute

Our Community Forums Commuters My Morning Commute

Viewing 10 posts - 6,781 through 6,790 (of 6,790 total)
  • Author
    Tania
    Participant

@bentbike33 194158 wrote:

This guy says he went across.

I hope he rode straight down the yellow middle line, just because he could. Or zig zagged back and forth, whistling.

mstone
    Participant

@Tania 194151 wrote:

I learned of the county boil orders AFTER making coffee.

Assuming a coffee maker, you should be fine–most will get the water more than hot enough to kill stuff in the water. (Recommendations to boil water for 10 minutes or whatever are bs: 158 degrees for one minute will kill to 5 9s. Bringing the water to a full boil is a mechanism to ensure you hit the 158 degree point in the absence of a thermometer; leaving it at a boil for a minute adds a safety factor; boiling longer than that means you have access to cheap energy.)

Crickey7
    Participant

@Tania 194164 wrote:

I hope he rode straight down the yellow middle line, just because he could. Or zig zagged back and forth, whistling.

That’s how I broke my finger on the old Indian River Inlet bridge on the Delaware shore. It was closed to car traffic until it could be torn down, so we cyclists were jauntily cruising down the middle of the highway when I hit some construction debris that, ironically, wouldn’t have been there if it had been open to traffic.

secstate
    Participant

@Dewey 193518 wrote:

Tried out the new pedestrian/bike bridge by the Kennedy Center. It was great, a useful connection between the waterfront path and the Roosevelt Bridge path and a safe crossing of Rock Creek Pkwy.

It seems like this is going to be a fair-weather connection rather than true transportation infrastructure. It was roped off today, and the last time there was any ice, it was also roped off. I don’t think the Kennedy Center has any real intention of maintaining it in the winter, unless necessary for one of their events.

Dewey
    Participant

This morning I discovered the path around the Netherlands Carillon near the Iwo Jima memorial is closed for construction, previously I had been able to ride through the work area. So this morning’s Winter Bike to Work Day included a bit of Cyclocross through waterlogged muddy ground, adding a sandy gritty noise to my rim brakes usual squeal, I recommend riding back and around Iwo Jima
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21186[/ATTACH]

Steve O
    Participant

9 am Monday morning in Colorado Springs.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21749[/ATTACH]

I am standing literally in the middle of the road.

Dewey
    Participant

Been a while but getting back in the saddle to ride to work, today is the first day of medical school at GW and the crowd of 180 excited first year students was delightful to push my bike through.

As I work in Foggy Bottom I thought I’d mention riding in from Memorial Bridge is currently being made difficult due to simultaneous closures of the Rock Creek Pkwy Trail, and road works on either side of the State Dept building on both 23rd St, and 21st St, blocking the northbound lane of both roads. Safest route I’ve found currently is to cross Constitution, ride north up 21st and take the sidewalk across the front of the State Dept entrance, because then at least you can reach the PBL’s north of Virginia Ave, on 21st, G St, and 20th St NW. Terrible coordination between State & DDOT for them to schedule to block three parallel routes like this.

GP_Slowride
    Participant

I must be one of the only few people who commuted, at least partially, by bike yesterday and today. I had the goal of riding from DC to Falls Church but after taking a look at the Custis and then seeing how bad Wilson Blvd. was, I elected to take my bike on the train. Arlington and Fairfax County didn’t do as good a job at clearing roads and sidewalks as DC did but that doesn’t mean DC is perfect. Even with studded tires conditions were very hazardous yesterday AM and somewhat hazardous today. Hopefully this evening I won’t have to spend any time walking.

lordofthemark
    Participant

@Steve O 202573 wrote:

9 am Monday morning in Colorado Springs.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21749[/ATTACH]

I am standing literally in the middle of the road.

Not for the first time.

I biked to work today. Seems like it’s been two years. But that would be crazy.

Viewing 10 posts - 6,781 through 6,790 (of 6,790 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.