My Morning Commute

Our Community Forums Commuters My Morning Commute

Viewing 15 posts - 6,766 through 6,780 (of 6,790 total)
  • Author
    phog
    Participant

Reminds me of the heroic Bicycle Repairman by Monty Python ! De he stop on a venture after seeing you pushing your disable bike along, or did you flag him down? And if so, how did you know he’d have a chain tool or a link, or a spare chain of the correct gauge? Most commuters are in such a hurry they might not think to stop.

SpaceJockey
    Participant

@phog 193705 wrote:

Reminds me of the heroic Bicycle Repairman by Monty Python ! De he stop on a venture after seeing you pushing your disable bike along, or did you flag him down? And if so, how did you know he’d have a chain tool or a link, or a spare chain of the correct gauge? Most commuters are in such a hurry they might not think to stop.

Great reference! Here it is for nostalgia and indoctrination purposes:

[video=dailymotion;x2pk2t9]https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2pk2t9[/video]

Crickey7
    Participant

I stopped to patch someone’s tube this morning. They’d never seen a tube before. And they asked if I used the same pump to fill the tube and the tire.

zsionakides
    Participant

@dasgeh 193563 wrote:

I was surprised to see you connect to the TR bridge rather than continue onto the main street. That’s going to make the TR Bridge suck more.

One of the unexpected side effects I’m noticing of the new Rock Creek connection at the Kennedy Center is a huge uptick in runners using the bridge (5-10X). Yesterday I even saw a couple tourists on the bridge, which I almost never see. My thought is with direct access to the Rock Creek trail, it creates a loop route with the other bridges, whereas before the TR bridge path would dump you out in the middle of VA Ave. While passing a runner/pedestrian (either way) isn’t as bad as another bicycle, every passing on that bridge requires extreme caution. Increasing bridge traffic on the TR needs serious consideration for safety improvements, as any bad incident is likely going to be fatal with the low railings.

Dewey
    Participant

Lovely fall color this morning approaching Iwo Jima
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]20459[/ATTACH]

Crickey7
    Participant

Wimps. I saw a grand total of 5 riders on the CCT this morning. On the plus side, it did allow me to belt out many a stanza of “Baby Shark”

Sunyata
    Participant

@Crickey7 194013 wrote:

Wimps. I saw a grand total of 5 riders on the CCT this morning. On the plus side, it did allow me to belt out many a stanza of “Baby Shark”

I literally saw one other bike commuter (an e-bike, nonetheless) this morning. Tons of runners out, though.

FFX_Hinterlands
    Participant

@Crickey7 194013 wrote:

There are an amazing number of cyclists that would never get on their bike without proper bike shorts. The problem is that they don’t ride if it’s not shorts weather. Here I am deciding which weekend to put the studded tires on my bike…

creadinger
    Participant

Welcome back to my bike commute! After 6 weeks at sea in the Arctic and 2 weeks in Alaska I was super happy to have such great fall weather to ride in today.

The good news: I made it in ok.
    The bad and weird: I was also hit by a deer that had just been hit by a car. By hit I mean it slid into my wheels, but I witnessed all of it and… jesus christ, wtf.

I was huffing and puffing up Hillcrest in SE and I feel guilty because I saw it happening before it happened and didn’t make any attempts to aver it. A deer was running through the front yards to my right and a driver coming down the hill, comes around the bend in the road up ahead. The deer veers across the road and gets t-boned by the car. Headlight plastic shatters and goes flying and the deer is suddenly rolling and sliding along the road in my direction! I stop and try to get out of the way but it slides into my wheels. Then the deer gingerly gets up, tests its legs out and limps into the woods to where it was originally heading.

Fortunately, the driver did not seem to be going excessively fast. It literally jumped out of his peripheral vision in front of his car. After the hubbub, the driver eases down the hill across from me and asks – “how bad is it?” I’d like to think he was asking about me and whether I was ok, but I’m almost sure he was asking about his goddamn car.

Welcome back to cycling in DC! Oh! And the Douglass bridge project has made things in that area even worse than ever!

dasgeh
    Participant

@creadinger 194060 wrote:

I was also hit by a deer that had just been hit by a car. By hit I mean it slid into my wheels, but I witnessed all of it and… jesus christ, wtf.

That is crazy and I’m glad you’re ok

Crickey7
    Participant

So I watched the news this morning about Chain Bridge being shut down and saw, in the background of the shot, a cyclist coming down the hill toward the Bridge and stopping. Does anyone know if they allowed cyclists across? Because all I could think about was how horrible it would be to have to turn around and head back up the steep hill and then work your way down to Key Bridge.

Tania
    Participant

@Crickey7 194150 wrote:

So I watched the news this morning about Chain Bridge being shut down and saw, in the background of the shot, a cyclist coming down the hill toward the Bridge and stopping. Does anyone know if they allowed cyclists across? Because all I could think about was how horrible it would be to have to turn around and head back up the steep hill and then work your way down to Key Bridge.

I don’t know for sure, but looking at pics on ArlNow, I doubt they’re letting anyone through. The sinkhole is massive and spans almost both lanes.

I learned of the county boil orders AFTER making coffee.

dasgeh
    Participant

@Tania 194151 wrote:

I don’t know for sure, but looking at pics on ArlNow, I doubt they’re letting anyone through. The sinkhole is massive and spans almost both lanes.

From the pics, it looks like someone could get to 41st St – i.e. the massive sink hole is south of the intersection of Glebe & 41st. I don’t know if they are worried about more road damage.

Betcha it will take less than 3 months to fix this.

bentbike33
    Participant

@Crickey7 194150 wrote:

This guy says he went across.

Crickey7
    Participant

@bentbike33 194158 wrote:

This guy says he went across.

Yay! A win for the nimble two wheeled set.

Viewing 15 posts - 6,766 through 6,780 (of 6,790 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.