My Morning Commute

Our Community Forums Commuters My Morning Commute

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 6,790 total)
  • Author
    Mikey
    Participant

@dasgeh 32067 wrote:

I was wondering while I didn’t see any cyclists in my direction this morning! Given, I headed in late, after a doctor’s appointment.

I love the little joy of walking into the OB’s office 8 months pregnant in my reflective jacket, carrying my bike helmet. I have to find some joy in going to the doctor SO OFTEN!!!

Yep I remember by the 36th week my wife was going to the OB as often as she was going to the Bathroom, which was a lot.

Good luck with the pregnancy, just don’t name the little one “Custis” or “Vernon”.

cephas
    Participant

@essigmw 32068 wrote:

Good luck with the pregnancy, just don’t name the little one “Custis” or “Vernon”.

Hmm, I like Vernon Custis… will have to discuss with the wife…

Certifried
    Participant

@cephas 32069 wrote:

Hmm, I like Vernon Custis… will have to discuss with the wife…

Custis Crescent has a nice ring to it.

vvill
    Participant

I got back from DC (via bike) a little after midnight last night, so I was dragging this morning too. I also decided to run oh, maybe 1 mile yesterday. Random parts of my low leg muscles ache.

Certifried
    Participant

Brrrrrr! I don’t know if I’m still recovering from Sunday/yesterday’s nausea, Saturday’s 50 States ride, or if it was just the cold, but damn was today slow. My quads just would not loosen up at all.

On the upside, I finally got to *really* use the jacket I’d bought on sale a while ago.

this was cool looking
    8023185838_ede1296afa.jpg
    DSCN0451 by certifried, on Flickr

Terpfan
    Participant

Today was such an obstacle course. Between commuter buses running reds, trash trucks backing up without actually looking and tow trucks randomly backing up the wrong way down the street, well, I was happy to arrive in one piece.

Yesterday riding home I did notice the same guy in front of me from last week. He’s always conducting business by a cell phone conversation. I’m still trying to figure out how on earth the other person can make out what he’s saying with all the city traffic. At the same time, I’m thinking, shoot, if it got me out of work and I could safely bicycle, I would be willing to do that too.

Certifried
    Participant

was he at least using a bluetooth headset? Or just one-handed riding?

Terpfan
    Participant

@Certifried 32135 wrote:

was he at least using a bluetooth headset? Or just one-handed riding?

Blue tooth and aside from going a little slower than probably necessarily, seemed very cognizant of traffic and all. Actually riding better than some folks I see everyday. So more of observation than a complaint.

Certifried
    Participant

@Terpfan 32174 wrote:

Blue tooth and aside from going a little slower than probably necessarily, seemed very cognizant of traffic and all. Actually riding better than some folks I see everyday. So more of observation than a complaint.

well, at least he’s hands free and not texting or something, like most of the drivers I see

by the way, why are my right toes always the first things that cramp?! ARGH, OK, I get it, I didn’t hydrate enough, but my body really has to make me pay by having my little toes cramp?! HURTS. SO. BAD

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

Oh man, I was dragging so hard today. I’ve biked every day since last Wednesday, and today’s commutes will put me over 250 miles for the week, which is waaaay more than I’m used to and is a personal best for me. But I reeeeallly needed at least one rest day in there, but since the wife is out of town with the car, that wasn’t happening. But we’re out of town starting tomorrow, so I won’t be on a bike until next Tuesday….kinda looking forward to the break, but I know I’m going to get antsy to ride after a day or two.

dasgeh
    Participant

I saw a guy two days ago bike on street (given, quiet street, no cars around), using both hands to text. I.e. no hands on handlebars. No idea how he did it.

Today I discovered a new discomfort — little Tummy Baby decided he wanted to be front and center for this morning’s commute, with some sharp body part under my ribs, and another pounding on my lower organs. Ugh. I kept sitting up, arching my back, moving my hips, trying to get him to move. I’m sure it was quite a show for all the runners…

krazygl00
    Participant

@dasgeh 32222 wrote:

I saw a guy two days ago bike on street (given, quiet street, no cars around), using both hands to text. I.e. no hands on handlebars. No idea how he did it.

He probably practices by riding rollers and playing wii sports:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3OJdiGtFzk

Today I discovered a new discomfort — little Tummy Baby decided he wanted to be front and center for this morning’s commute, with some sharp body part under my ribs, and another pounding on my lower organs. Ugh. I kept sitting up, arching my back, moving my hips, trying to get him to move. I’m sure it was quite a show for all the runners…

Wow, it sounds like you have an extremely odd child-seat setup. :p

cephas
    Participant

@dasgeh 32222 wrote:

Today I discovered a new discomfort — little Tummy Baby decided he wanted to be front and center for this morning’s commute, with some sharp body part under my ribs, and another pounding on my lower organs. Ugh. I kept sitting up, arching my back, moving my hips, trying to get him to move.

You’re a brave woman! My wife gave up after the 4th or 5th month…

KelOnWheels
    Participant

Arr! Today there be commuting ‘pon the high trails on the good ship Rincon!

Zipping past all the people stuck in traffic on the GDubs is rather satisfying.

Being stuck behind someone on the trail that’s going too slow but at the same time JUST fast enough so that you’re pretty sure if you pass them they’ll just pass you right back is not.

Managed not to run over a very fresh ex-squirrel, so that was a plus. We saw half a bat on the Mem Bridge when we were running on Sunday. Don’t know where the other half went.

Hit a large invisible bump getting onto the Penn Ave cycletrack this morning. Darn landsharks.

Got stuck in stop & go traffic by the courthouses at the end of my ride and kept clipping out badly, culminating in a stylish wrong-side dismount. :P I gave up and transformed into a pedestrian at that point.

How YOU doin’?

DaveK
    Participant

I drove to work today. I can’t remember the last time that happened. I just couldn’t figure out a way to transport a 40-lb bag of dog food with my current rack and pannier setup. Usually I combine the pet store trip with others but I’m not planning on driving anywhere this week after work and I don’t want to give the puppy Pedigree or some other junk from CVS to last until the weekend.

Really wished I was riding, although if it does pour this afternoon I think I’ll be fine with the decision.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 6,790 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.