Lets hope the weather forecast is wrong…

Our Community Forums Bike to Work Day Archives Bike to Work Day 2014 Lets hope the weather forecast is wrong…

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 203 total)
  • Author

@Brendan von Buckingham 85518 wrote:

I’m just going to throw out there that bike commuting is the smart choice, so bike commuters are generally smart, reasonable people. I live at Lubber Run right before it joins Four Mile Run and I’ve never seen it roar so high before as I just saw now. It’s actually whirlpooling and flowing backwards. Did I mention it’s cold too? No way. WP’s radar though does show promise that the train of rain might pass by DC’s western burbs by 7:30. So maybe there’s still a glimmer of hope.

Screw that. The rain paused for 10 minutes at 7:45 so I hit the bike. Then it started to pour again. Only a couple people at the Canal Park Pit stop at 3rd and M Street SE, but the volunteers were able to set up under some steps so they had decent cover.

And maybe it’s not that God hates bicycles, but that God hates guns. Memorial Avenue is the road that connects Memorial Bridge with Arlington Cemetery. Where it crosses crosses the channel west of the circle is the District/Virginia line. DC government set up crowd control barriers at the border and blocking the sidewalk. The barriers had signs warning people of DC’s statutes against certain types of guns. Apparently a gun rights group was planning a march on Washington today. They had eight people.

mstone
    Participant

I think that’s called a “companionable stroll” rather than a “march”.

lordofthemark
    Participant

@Brendan von Buckingham 85679 wrote:

Screw that. The rain paused for 10 minutes at 7:45 so I hit the bike. Then it started to pour again. Only a couple people at the Canal Park Pit stop at 3rd and M Street SE, but the volunteers were able to set up under some steps so they had decent cover.

When were you there? I was the short middle-aged dude in the blue windbreaker and drenched khaki pants with the Kona Dew, I was there about 8:45 or so.

bobco85
    Participant

Some pics from today’s Bike to Work Monsoon Day

me and GB (we are coworkers) at the Rosslyn pit stop being photobombed by another cyclist – note that one of us is dry and warm in his rain gear whereas the other is shivering because he wasn’t prepared ;)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5635[/ATTACH]

Mother Nature was determined to stop cyclists from riding today – tree down on the Custis trail (top) and Four Mile Run flooding in the Wilson Blvd underpass on the W&OD (bottom)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5636[/ATTACH]

East Falls Church pit stop, sheltered from the rain by the overpass – main table with Metro goodie bags (top) and Metro police table giving out free U-locks to those who registered their bikes (bottom)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5637[/ATTACH]

Ballston pit stop, hosted by Freshbikes
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5638[/ATTACH]

successfully keeping my work clothes dry by triple-bagging them (top) – the loot from 3 pit stops (bottom)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5639[/ATTACH]

Alright, picture portion finished, it’s time to head to Westover for the BTWDHH!

rcannon100
    Participant

14199478682_02a62aa35b.jpg

14222125523_6a589a08bf.jpg

14015359250_6c0c430f79.jpg

14201981895_56318b4593.jpg

rcannon100
    Participant

14015361490_0b82f36b9d.jpg

14198703821_3b970f32a5.jpg

14199484612_3ede1af39d.jpg

14178854756_ee78e8ae30.jpg

rcannon100
    Participant

14015331378_8ebea47043.jpg

14222134553_bf45c153f0.jpg

14178856866_0b0c0fd5f8.jpg

Steve O
    Participant

@bobco85 85695 wrote:

Ballston pit stop, hosted by Freshbikes
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5638[/ATTACH]

I was recruited to volunteer at Ballston, starting at 5:30am. At 5:15 the sky opened and it was pouring. My wife asked if I really needed to do this. I would have felt guilty not knowing if they would have enough volunteers. I opted to not bring my 2002-2013 complete set t-shirt collection, since that was just more to carry, and I didn’t expect a lot of people to ooh and aah over it.

Well, the Ballston stop had plenty of volunteers–more than necessary for the pared down effort. We had no cyclists, though. I had to leave about 7:15. By then I think maybe 10 cyclists had shown up. Hopefully more came later. Compared to last year, it felt kind of sad and pathetic. Sounds like there was better swag at Rosslyn.

Steve O
    Participant

@rcannon100 85706 wrote:

14015331378_8ebea47043.jpg

One of these is not like the others.

Fast Friendly Guy
    Participant

@Steve O 85721 wrote:

One of these is not like the others.

Okay, Steve,…I’ll bite! –

Only one:

-is wearing black
    -works on Capitol Hill
    -has a dislocated shoulder and a half acre of road rash hidden tastefully under jacket and pants

Fast Friendly Guy
    Participant

@Subby 85651 wrote:

They should have a design contest for next year’s BTWD shirt. Not that I don’t appreciate the shirt, I do. Just think you are missing a fun opportunity to make something cool and interesting, sourced from the community.

The ‘car free’ table at Rosslyn was giving some very cool black T-shirts with a jumble of small white writing listing all the ways to manage without a car–when you stepped back the writing jumble merges into a white bike against the black background.

Riley Casey
    Participant

Now thats a covet.

@Fast Friendly Guy 85723 wrote:

The ‘car free’ table at Rosslyn was giving some very cool black T-shirts with a jumble of small white writing listing all the ways to manage without a car–when you stepped back the writing jumble merges into a white bike against the black background.

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

@Brendan von Buckingham 85679 wrote:

And maybe it’s not that God hates bicycles, but that God hates guns. Memorial Avenue is the road that connects Memorial Bridge with Arlington Cemetery. Where it crosses crosses the channel west of the circle is the District/Virginia line. DC government set up crowd control barriers at the border and blocking the sidewalk. The barriers had signs warning people of DC’s statutes against certain types of guns. Apparently a gun rights group was planning a march on Washington today. They had eight people.

That would explain why I saw a couple grumpy-looking older guys (scruffy beards, beer bellies, unkempt appearance) with “Impeach Obama” signs walking down an escalator yesterday. Actually they were blocking the escalator by standing side-by-side. I don’t care if people have differing political or social opinions, but the “impeach” stuff just gets old (unless a president has actually committed an impeachable offense).

And yes, it does mean that I didn’t bike all the way to work yesterday. I did bike back in the evening, on CaBi, although I had more difficulty finding a bike downtown than usual.

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

@Fast Friendly Guy 85723 wrote:

Pics or it didn’t happen…

@Rockford10 85659 wrote:

Yep – I’ve ended up with 2 BTWD shirts, but remember our family of 5 set out this morning looking for goodies and I think we only have a total of 2 BTWD shirts right now. I also ended up with water bottles, blinkies, a U lock, a bandana, a lot of wet clothes and an imprint of my pedal on my leg. FABB tweeted this picture of phatboing and me in Tysons (he caught me going up Gallows). Then my office re-tweeted it. Keeping it classy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5633[/ATTACH]

I’ve been at non-BTWD events where they were handing out leftover BTWD T-shirts from previous years. I picked up a few last year and gave them to nieces and nephews.

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

@Rockford10 85659 wrote:

Yep – I’ve ended up with 2 BTWD shirts, but remember our family of 5 set out this morning looking for goodies and I think we only have a total of 2 BTWD shirts right now. I also ended up with water bottles, blinkies, a U lock, a bandana, a lot of wet clothes and an imprint of my pedal on my leg. FABB tweeted this picture of phatboing and me in Tysons (he caught me going up Gallows). Then my office re-tweeted it. Keeping it classy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5633[/ATTACH]

I’ve been at non-BTWD events where they were handing out leftover BTWD T-shirts from previous years. I picked up a few last year and gave them to nieces and nephews.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 203 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.