Lets hope the weather forecast is wrong…

Our Community Forums Bike to Work Day Archives Bike to Work Day 2014 Lets hope the weather forecast is wrong…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 203 total)
  • Author
    Terpfan
    Participant

It looks like they’re calling for heavy rains on Friday and a high of upper 60s. Go figure it’s 90 and sunny today and then it will be 65 and raining on Friday. I guess it’s better than snow…

cyclingfool
    Participant

@Terpfan 85046 wrote:

90 and sunny today and then it will be 65 and raining on Friday. I guess it’s better than snow…

I’m not so sure. Summer here sucks. 😡 This time of year I always start dreaming of living in the PNW.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5577[/ATTACH]

cvcalhoun
    Participant

To be honest, 65 and raining sounds better to me than 90 and sunny. You can always wear rain gear, but there’s nothing much you can do about heat.

n18
    Participant

Don’t worry. It’s going to be Saturday instead of Friday. Usually the forecast is wrong about when raining starts. It’s always later than they predict, it’s like the wind is slower. So if they say it will rain in 4 days, it would be 5 days, and if they say it will start raining in the morning, it would be late morning or afternoon. If you check the hourly forecast of the weather channel website repeatedly during a day that rain is expected, you will notice that as the time gets closer(like when PM showers are expected), the start hour gets pushed further.

Hopefully it gets pushed back to the overnight hours. Here is Friday forecast at the moment for the record:

Friday May 16:

Day:

Rain with a few rumbles of thunder. Potential for heavy rainfall. Highs in the upper 60s and lows in the low 50s.
    High: 67°F
    Chance of rain: 70%
    Wind: NNW at 7 mph
    Humidity: 63%

Night:

Partly Cloudy
    Low: 51°
    Chance of rain: 10%
    Wind: NNW at 5 mph
    Humidity: 71%

skins_brew
    Participant

Yea, I personally do not buy a forecast until I see it in person. Weather forecasters are notoriously wrong, but it looks like for something like this, it is hard to miss. I really need to get a rain jacket :p

DanB
    Participant

From BTWD website:
    Bike to Work Day is a rain or shine event! All pit stops will be open regardless of the weather. It’s strongly encouraged to pack rain gear, just in case.

The bad part is there won’t be as many people participating; the good part is that there will be more swag for those of us who do ride. 😎

rcannon100
    Participant

Answer:

What if it rains?

Bike to Work Day is a rain or shine event! All pit stops will be open regardless of the weather. It’s strongly encouraged to pack rain gear, just in case.

Terpfan
    Participant

@DanB 85087 wrote:

The bad part is there won’t be as many people participating; the good part is that there will be more swag for those of us who do ride. 😎

Correct, I think we should get double swag if the numbers are down. I’m trying to score some maintenance coupons and maybe even get them to play some more with my ever so slightly bent derailleur.

As for weather, I prefer 90 and sunny to 65 and raining. I can hydrate and speed up to create a breeze, but I can’t really stay dry no matter what I try. Flip side I suppose is rainy days mean a deserted MVT, which i do prefer.

jrenaut
    Participant

I love riding in summer rain. I do not love going to Preakness in the rain, however, so I would selfishly prefer rain Friday.

Phatboing
    Participant

@cvcalhoun 85073 wrote:

To be honest, 65 and raining sounds better to me than 90 and sunny. You can always wear rain gear, but there’s nothing much you can do about heat.

A hundred times this. I’ve chickened out of riding more times in oppressive heat and humidity than in snow and ice.

(it helps that I grew up under the monsoons, so 65-ish and rain = home)

mstone
    Participant

I greatly prefer heat. Sweat in humidity may or may not evaporate, but sweat in rain gear definitely won’t and cold rain saps heat and gives you a chill while you’re still wet and clammy from sweating in the rain gear. I also worry about reduced visibility–I get a lot more nervous around cars when there’s a driving rain because I’m concerned about how well they can see (and at the same time they need more room to stop). And then there are the trails with poop floods…

So, overall, 50-60 degree thunderstorms on friday just sounds grim.

creadinger
    Participant

I don’t spend much time looking at the numerical models, but with it being a frontal passage, it could be a few hours of heavy rain, then clearing skies after it passes, as opposed to an all-day rain event. If it happens in the middle of the day, then commutes could be minimally affected.

BUT as several of you in this thread have already proclaimed superior expertise in weather predicting over meteorologists, I’m sure we’ll either get a hurricane, or a snowstorm.

DismalScientist
    Participant

@creadinger 85127 wrote:

I’m sure we’ll either get … a snowstorm.

Woohoo!

Greenbelt
    Participant

@creadinger 85127 wrote:

I don’t spend much time looking at the numerical models, but with it being a frontal passage, it could be a few hours of heavy rain, then clearing skies after it passes, as opposed to an all-day rain event. If it happens in the middle of the day, then commutes could be minimally affected.

BUT as several of you in this thread have already proclaimed superior expertise in weather predicting over meteorologists, I’m sure we’ll either get a hurricane, or a snowstorm.

12z GFS and NAM looks to me like a washout for the morning, but maybe dryer by evening.

nam_namer_075_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

gfs_namer_078_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

mstone
    Participant

note that BTWD gear is also suitable for boat to work day

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 203 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.