Freezing Saddles Scoreboard backend "soft launch"

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Freezing Saddles Scoreboard backend "soft launch"

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 212 total)
  • Author
    americancyclo
    Participant

@hozn 71678 wrote:

It looks like we had a bug with profiles that include unicode data. Maybe yours does? Anyway, hopefully this is fixed; let me know if not.

just succeeded with a laptop!

KayakCyndi
    Participant

I’m playing around with this and it looks great. Thanks Hozn!

Potential bug (or maybe browser incompatibility or user error) issue: When on the “data exploration tab” I click on something like “time in saddle” and the screen flashes then goes blank and resets to elevation gain. This happens for all categories. If I pick the same category again it then works fine. Strange. I’m using Firefox but will try it in Chrome and Explorer tomorrow.

hozn
    Participant

Thanks! — And thanks for heads up on that issue. I think jrenaut mentioned this and I forgot. Something incompatible in the new styles — I will run that to ground soon. I don’t think it is browser specific, but it may be.

peterw_diy
    Participant

@hozn 71680 wrote:

Well, I think one of the things that participants liked about the competition was the social aspect. From my optic, linking to Strava profiles is something we /do/ want. We want to take advantage of social features like photos and comments that Strava provides to supplement forum discussions. I don’t think this competition caters especially to people that really don’t want any of their ride data made public

As currently designed, no, it doesn’t. I think BAFS might benefit from letting riders choose whether to expose more than just their ride count, mileage, and climbing stats. You’d more likely attract folks like me who are nervous about Strava, and IMO (though I could be wrong) would not significantly reduce the level of fun for folks who like Strava.

I think Strava has a very different vibe from this forum — it focuses on personal bests, KOM, segment speed leaderboards where this forum is much more truly social — folks offering advice, nominating others for WWPD awards, etc. Strava = competition, BA forums = cooperation. The current design of BAFS feels like a Strava app that happened to be born on this forum. I had expected it to feel more like this forum, merely using Strava as a data source.

I’ll try to let this go, especially since I’m not volunteering code. Nothing worse than whiny users going on an on about feature enhancements they’d like without contributing any source. :-)

KLizotte
    Participant

Hi programmers. There are two Kathy L’s. Any way to distinguish which is which? You could call me Kathy Li for instance.

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

@KLizotte 71698 wrote:

Hi programmers. There are two Kathy L’s. Any way to distinguish which is which? You could call me Kathy Li for instance.

I once worked in a restaurant with two servers named Erica H. On their checks, one was Erica Ha and the other was Erica Ho. Good times.

KLizotte
    Participant

@KayakCyndi 71689 wrote:

I’m playing around with this and it looks great. Thanks Hozn!

Potential bug (or maybe browser incompatibility or user error) issue: When on the “data exploration tab” I click on something like “time in saddle” and the screen flashes then goes blank and resets to elevation gain. This happens for all categories. If I pick the same category again it then works fine. Strange. I’m using Firefox but will try it in Chrome and Explorer tomorrow.

I have the same problem in internet explorer. I can get it to work in Safari if I hold down the ctrl key so as to prevent the popup blocker from working. For some reason this does not work in IE.

hozn
    Participant

@KLizotte 71698 wrote:

Some forum members may be required to change their legal names, unfortunately :)

Yeah, first initial of last name is obviously not quite enough.

So, I guess the obvious question: Is it valuable to people that we don’t use full names (assuming that you do use full names in Strava)? If so, I will do as Shaun suggests and use two letters (etc.) for conflicting names. This doesn’t matter to me either way.

I believe last year we just used names as they appeared in Strava, though I could be wrong. Also the behavior of the old APIs might have been to honor athlete’s settings wrt hiding full last names.

MattAune
    Participant

I vote for the use of full names, and complete strava integration.

Does Strava expose the instagram photos in it’s API, or would you have to call the instagram API directly and filter out ride pictures? A prize for most pictures and best picture could be fun.

Amalitza

How often is is supposed to update? I authorized around lunchtime yesterday and showed up under people almost immediately, but is still showing zero rides and zero mileage even though I do have rides and miles in Strava. Don’t know if that should be the case because it only updates every day at noon or something, or if it means there’s a bug. I am Karen Smith on strava if it’s a bug and knowing who to look at helps find and fix it.

Amalitza

Fwiw, I don’t see the benefit in using only first name and last initial on the leaderboards unless there are people who feel strongly both about wanting to use their real, full name on strava for some reason and also don’t want it showing on the leaderboards. It’s easy enough to use not-your-real-name on Strava. Karen Smith is not my real name. If someone happens to notice me logging miles somewhere exotic, they can’t search property records for my name to figure out which house it is I’m leaving vacant while I’m on vacation, for example. That doesn’t address all of peter’s privacy concerns by any means, just an opinion specifically on the use of names.

jrenaut
    Participant

@peterw_diy 71694 wrote:

I’ll try to let this go, especially since I’m not volunteering code. Nothing worse than whiny users going on an on about feature enhancements they’d like without contributing any source. :-)

I think it’s important to respect the different levels of comfort that people have with exposing data online. It’s easy to forget that just because I’m comfortable with something doesn’t mean everyone is. I’m talking to hozn about the best way to implement this to maximize everyone’s enjoyment of BAFS.

hozn
    Participant

@acl 71726 wrote:

How often is is supposed to update? I authorized around lunchtime yesterday and showed up under people almost immediately, but is still showing zero rides and zero mileage even though I do have rides and miles in Strava. Don’t know if that should be the case because it only updates every day at noon or something, or if it means there’s a bug. I am Karen Smith on strava if it’s a bug and knowing who to look at helps find and fix it.

It is supposed to update every 15 minutes. Is it possible that you are not a member of the BikeArlington Strava club? Right now we only update accounts that are a members of one of the teams (obviously BikeArlington isn’t a real team; it was just chosen as I assumed most people would belong to that club).

It’s also possible — even likely! — that there are more glitches in the sync algorithm. I noticed that we seem to have exceeded one of the Strava rate limits yesterday; I need to clean up the syncing code so that when we do the “full resync” every night we don’t actually refetch all ride segments in addition to all the rides (unless the distance for a ride somehow changed or something).

Amalitza

I am a member of the bike arlington club.

ronwalf
    Participant

@hozn 71680 wrote:

Yes, more access than anonymous users. There are limits; we can’t see private rides. I’m not sure about other privacy settings (we won’t see inside privacy zones, I don’t believe, but we’re not pulling those streams [yet]).

One of the privacy settings for Strava is to require permission to follow a user before seeing a list of their rides. I have this one set.

So you can see my rides if you follow me, have a direct link to the ride, or are a member of one of the same clubs as me (not entirely sure on the last one). The FS site adds a new way.

I think removing that page or making it only accessible to challenge members would alleviate a number of the privacy issues Peter mentioned?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 212 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.