Freezing Saddles Scoreboard backend "soft launch"

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Freezing Saddles Scoreboard backend "soft launch"

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 212 total)
  • Author
    Mikey
    Participant

@bikeeveryday 71620 wrote:

Me too. Just “signed up” but won’t be joining any team. Wanted to see how this works out.

Aw, Come on, that’s no fun. You know you want to join our stupidity and get out there with us. Otherwise we will shame you into changing your forum nickname to bikeeveryNICEday. ;)

jopamora
    Participant

@Mikey 71621 wrote:

Aw, Come on, that’s no fun. You know you want to join our stupidity and get out there with us. Otherwise we will shame you into changing your forum nickname to bikeeveryNICEday. ;)

Zing!

americancyclo
    Participant

I’m getting internal server errors on my android web browser. (can’t get to website from work computer)

hozn
    Participant

@americancyclo 71625 wrote:

I’m getting internal server errors on my android web browser. (can’t get to website from work computer)

Where (which pages) are you seeing errors? I just opened it up here and the few I tried seem fine.

americancyclo
    Participant

I can get to authorize, but after i login with my strava data, it goes to the ISE page. I’ll try tonight from a laptop and let you know!

hozn
    Participant

Ok, I will check the error logs. Very likely a problem on the server, not your end.

peterw_diy
    Participant

@Subby 71588 wrote:

Is there a way to show both the competitor’s strava name AND their forum name?

I prefer that BAFS not expose Strava profile info.
    * I’d prefer that BAFS use my forum name than my Strava name.
    * I’d prefer that BAFS use its own participant ID #s and not expose my Strava “athlete” number.
    * I’d prefer that BAFS not show the names I’ve assigned to rides.
    * I’d prefer that BAFS not expose my ride “activity” numbers, and certainly not link to the Strava display for those rides.

I’m new to Strava so I guess I’ll figure some of this out as I play with the soft-launch BAFS site, but it really gives me the heebie-jeebies thinking that BAFS could lead to exposing so much info — routes, days I ride vs. days I might be on vacation, rough home location, etc.

The site looks really nice. though. I like the ice blue color scheme. And thanks for putting the code on github. Note: I don’t see any license info; I’d suggest you clarify that so other localities can better judge whether they can just pull the code & run it on their own server.

guga31bb
    Participant

@peterw_diy 71664 wrote:

I’m new to Strava so I guess I’ll figure some of this out as I play with the soft-launch BAFS site, but it really gives me the heebie-jeebies thinking that BAFS could lead to exposing so much info — routes, days I ride vs. days I might be on vacation, rough home location, etc.

How is that different from using Strava in general?

hozn
    Participant

@peterw_diy 71664 wrote:

I prefer that BAFS not expose Strava profile info.
    * I’d prefer that BAFS use my forum name than my Strava name.
    * I’d prefer that BAFS use its own participant ID #s and not expose my Strava “athlete” number.
    * I’d prefer that BAFS not show the names I’ve assigned to rides.
    * I’d prefer that BAFS not expose my ride “activity” numbers, and certainly not link to the Strava display for those rides.

The site looks really nice. though. I like the ice blue color scheme. And thanks for putting the code on github. Note: I don’t see any license info; I’d suggest you clarify that so other localities can better judge whether they can just pull the code & run it on their own server.

Yeah, as guga31bb pointed out this data is all publicly available on Strava. That said, we can take some steps to increase privacy on the site.
    – We can use firstname and last initial instead of full names.
    – We could consider using forum names instead, but we may not have that data — and anyone could click the link to view a user’s Strava profile and see their name (Strava will always show full names to registered users, but to unauthenticated/public users there is the option to do firstname + last initial only.) You can also change your name in Strava to something that is not your name; some people certainly do that.
    – You can setup privacy circles in Strava to not reveal exactly locations where you stop/start your ride. This is of limited value if you use real names, as other will point out, but it’s something.

Sorry I overlooked the license in the source code. It’s licensed under Apache license; it’s mentioned in the setup.py, but I will add that to the source code (and add the requisite source headers). This has been very much an experimental or “duct tape” project with lots of pieces being swapped out, but the intent is always there to clean up the code and make it more generally useful (and the technology underneath is slowly solidifying).

peterw_diy
    Participant

@hozn 71672 wrote:

Yeah, as guga31bb pointed out this data is all publicly available on Strava.

We’ll see. I’ve just upped my Strava privacy settings; we’ll see if BAFS works with that, and what the difference is. Right away I see that Strava won’t show anon users my climbing stats, nor a list of my rides. From the authentication UI on Strava, it sounds like BAFS will have access to more info than anonymous strava.com visitors.

We could consider using forum names instead, but we may not have that data — and anyone could click the link to view a user’s Strava profile and see their name

Viewing the profile is only true if you add the link or otherwise expose the Strava ID #. The BAFS user table could have its own unique IDs (autoincrement int, GUID, whatever) and be designed to never disclose the Strava ID# in anything sent to a client. And you could always use something like “Rider #42” if the rider hasn’t filled out the registration form (or only use data for riders where you do have all the data you want, like forum names).

Apache license — cool. I think Freezing Saddles is a great idea, and I could easily see other regions wanting to take advantage of your work.

hozn
    Participant

@americancyclo 71652 wrote:

I can get to authorize, but after i login with my strava data, it goes to the ISE page. I’ll try tonight from a laptop and let you know!

It looks like we had a bug with profiles that include unicode data. Maybe yours does? Anyway, hopefully this is fixed; let me know if not.

peterw_diy
    Participant

Also, I think it would be good for BAFS to have a Privacy page that explains a bit about Strava’s current privacy settings, to help educate any folks like me that have not really used Strava before. You don’t want participation in BAFS leading to problems for any riders who don’t think this through. Hopefully the others who’ve signed on have though through this — e.g., hopefully Tim doesn’t mind my seeing where he bought his Christmas tree last weekend and how he got it home.

hozn
    Participant

@peterw_diy 71677 wrote:

We’ll see. I’ve just upped my Strava privacy settings; we’ll see if BAFS works with that, and what the difference is. Right away I see that Strava won’t show anon users my climbing stats, nor a list of my rides. From the authentication UI on Strava, it sounds like BAFS will have access to more info than anonymous strava.com visitors.

Yes, more access than anonymous users. There are limits; we can’t see private rides. I’m not sure about other privacy settings (we won’t see inside privacy zones, I don’t believe, but we’re not pulling those streams [yet]).

@peterw_diy 71677 wrote:

Viewing the profile is only true if you add the link or otherwise expose the Strava ID #. The BAFS user table could have its own unique IDs (autoincrement int, GUID, whatever) and be designed to never disclose the Strava ID# in anything sent to a client. And you could always use something like “Rider #42” if the rider hasn’t filled out the registration form (or only use data for riders where you do have all the data you want, like forum names).

Well, I think one of the things that participants liked about the competition was the social aspect. From my optic, linking to Strava profiles is something we /do/ want. We want to take advantage of social features like photos and comments that Strava provides to supplement forum discussions. I don’t think this competition caters especially to people that really don’t want any of their ride data made public. (Of course, you can enter only manual rides and change your Strava name if you want to minimize personal details on Strava.)

@peterw_diy 71677 wrote:

Apache license — cool. I think Freezing Saddles is a great idea, and I could easily see other regions wanting to take advantage of your work.

Yeah, if others think it would be useful, I hope they’ll adapt it to their own challenges!

rcannon100
    Participant

@peterw_diy 71677 wrote:

I think Freezing Saddles is a great idea, and I could easily see other regions wanting to take advantage of your work.

Put it in a bottle and make $M Hozn! Maybe you can launch a kick starter page!

hozn
    Participant

@peterw_diy 71679 wrote:

Also, I think it would be good for BAFS to have a Privacy page that explains a bit about Strava’s current privacy settings, to help educate any folks like me that have not really used Strava before. You don’t want participation in BAFS leading to problems for any riders who don’t think this through. Hopefully the others who’ve signed on have though through this — e.g., hopefully Tim doesn’t mind my seeing where he bought his Christmas tree last weekend and how he got it home.

Honestly, I feel that this is comprehensively covered by Strava’s privacy policy / terms of service and the authorization description that happens when you allow this application to use your data. I don’t want to have to keep this app in sync with Strava’s evolving privacy policy … we could put something up to the effect of “go read Strava’s privacy policy” if that would be helpful. I’ll take a look at what the other folks in this space are doing. If someone wants to write a privacy policy page, jrenaut or I will be happy to consider pull requests. :)

The firstname + last initial has been implemented, although it’ll need to be revised since apparently we have two “Chris R” users, for example. Perhaps I’ll keep full names in the backend database and only have the display values truncated. And add logic to add letters to the last names to disambiguate.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 212 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.