Bike to Work Day – Best Pitstops

Our Community Forums Bike to Work Day Archives Bike to Work Day 2012 Bike to Work Day – Best Pitstops

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    dbb
    Participant

A new rider in the office is much better prepared through the generosity of the CC BID. He stretched to get a nice bike and the CC swag is getting him really ready for the trails. Thanks CC BID!

I saw Dirt on his pink fixie last night at the Jefferson. I was able to keep up with him on the bridge but then he put the hammer down heading south. The boy was doing more than 25 mph on a clear stretch of the MVT on a fixie!

Building on my experience on the Custis with him a couple of weeks ago (when I was able to keep up and he was on his fat tire fixie), the experimental hypotheses seem to be:

Width of the tires is a controlling variable- I was able to keep up with him on his fat tire fixie but not the thin tire fixie.
    Fixed gears are a controlling variable – When this variable is held constant, the results are mixed. I am now removing this variable from the experiment.
    Dirt is a much better rider than me – This remains a plausible explanation

That said, it is always a pleasure to see others on the trail, if only for a moment.

rcannon100
    Participant

Bottle, Shirt, and Banana today in CC.

So…. do you suppose U have to be there to win tomorrow? And if so, what time.

baiskeli
    Participant

@dbb 19809 wrote:

I saw Dirt on his pink fixie last night at the Jefferson. I was able to keep up with him on the bridge but then he put the hammer down heading south. The boy was doing more than 25 mph on a clear stretch of the MVT on a fixie!

It’s scientifically proven that pink reduces aerodynamic drag.

Mikey
    Participant

@baiskeli 19827 wrote:

+ 2 points for using “pink” and “drag” in an unconventional way.
    :)

KelOnWheels
    Participant

OK. I think I’m ready.

Home to CC stop via 4 Mile Run & MVT: 5.3 miles
    CC to Ronald Reagan Building stop via MVT, 14th St Bridge & 15th St: 4.25 miles
    RRB to Mount Vernon Triangle stop via Penn Ave & 7th St: 1.3 miles
    MVTri to work via 5th St: 1 mile

It sounds much less alarming broken up into little pieces :)

I’m going to give myself LOTS of time for wrong turns & such – planning to hit CC at 7 AM and then just mosey on in.

I am firmly avoiding thinking about the return trip tomorrow evening… ;)

Dirt
    Participant

@dbb 19809 wrote:

I saw Dirt on his pink fixie last night at the Jefferson.

Nice to see you yesterday, sir. :D I was shocked to have over 1/2 mile of MVT completely to myself at that time of day. Things slowed down significantly after that, but it was fun while it lasted. :D I did get a couple of good sighting photos, but haven’t had my camera near a computer yet to download.

Rock on!

Dirt
    Participant

I think my BTWD plan is set too. Meeting a friend in Vienna at 0630, then rolling to Ballston and Rosslyn. I’ll stop off at the RayGun building, then head back for Friday Coffee Club. Gonna roll nice and easy on the fat, squishy bike. :D

jrenaut
    Participant

My plans tomorrow depend on daughter #2. She’s home sick today with my wife. If she’s better tomorrow, I’ll stop at the Reagan building around 830. If she’s not better, I’ll stay home with her. If she’s better but not “go to daycare” better, I might put her in the trailer, hit the Reagan Building, then Friday Coffee Club, then maybe even another BTWD stop if she’s still happy or sleeping.

Dirt
    Participant

New addition to my route… Just found out my friends Christy and Adam from Bikes Belong will be at the NoMa stop near the Metro Branch trail at the Bikes Belong booth. Gonna swing by and do a Bikes Belong photo op. :D

KelOnWheels
    Participant

@Dirt 19838 wrote:

Gonna roll nice and easy on the fat, squishy bike. :D

So only 20 MPH then? ;)

ETA: Pretty sure I would have to be on fire to go that fast. :D Which would make for a short ride.

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

@baiskeli 19827 wrote:

Scientificuh-lee speakin’, pink attracts honeybees and gnats. They will congregate and swarm on the pink fabric, expecting to find nectar. Frustrated by not finding nectar, they will call on their compatriots to help in the search. More and more bees and gnats will swarm, eventually creating a rough textured biomass of bees and gnats. Not only is this huge mass of bees/gnats non-aerodynamic, it’s also kind of uncomfortable. But it does provide a steady source of protein for longer rides. You just have to be careful while eating the stingers.

consularrider
    Participant

@PotomacCyclist 19893 wrote:

Scientificuh-lee speakin’, pink attracts honeybees and gnats. They will congregate and swarm on the pink fabric, expecting to find nectar. Frustrated by not finding nectar, they will call on their compatriots to help in the search. More and more bees and gnats will swarm, eventually creating a rough textured biomass of bees and gnats. Not only is this huge mass of bees/gnats non-aerodynamic, it’s also kind of uncomfortable. But it does provide a steady source of protein for longer rides. You just have to be careful while eating the stingers.

That explains Dirt’s secret powers.

KelOnWheels
    Participant

Darn it, I knew I should have gotten the pink tire levers instead of the yellow ones…

@consularrider 19894 wrote:

That explains Dirt’s secret powers.

SpokeGrenadeSR
    Participant

@PotomacCyclist 19893 wrote:

if they all spread the wings in sync, you can fly too.

KelOnWheels
    Participant

Made it to Crystal City! Got a banana and a patch kit. [ATTACH]1068[/ATTACH]

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.