Bike to Work Day – Best Pitstops

Our Community Forums Bike to Work Day Archives Bike to Work Day 2012 Bike to Work Day – Best Pitstops

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Mikey
    Participant

I thought I would open a thread to discuss past pitstop giveaways so that you can help plan your B2WD route.

As a rule, Arlington tends to have the best give-aways, I’ve gotten bikearlington blinky lights, bike maps, drawstring sacs, and reflective straps at the Rosslyn pit stop. And of course I got coffee bananas, cliff bars, and bagles here as well.

I got an aluminum water bottle last year at freedom plaza.

The afternoon pitstop in Fairfax City has had real food; Barbecue sandwiches 2 years ago, chicken wings last year, and a drawing for prizes that because of the low turnout (8-10 of us) we all won something.

I hope to make it to some new pit stops as well this year (FC, yards park).

what’s the best stuff you’ve found on B2WD?

americancyclo
    Participant

I’ve only ever been to Freedom Plaza since I’ve been leading bike convoys, but from all the chatter, I’ve made it a point to stop at Rosslyn this year, and will definitely be checking out the Falls Church City/Bikenetic stop in the evening, if convoy duties prevent me from stopping by in the morning.

consularrider
    Participant

I hit four pitstops last year, the best had to have been Old Town Alexandria. Multiple water bottle options, lots of food, lots of info. Rosslyn is a close second, with Crystal City and Ballston slightly behind. I have yet to hit an evening pitstop (didn’t even know such a thing existed). I’ll have to try and find them. FCC/Bikenetic is just off one of my extended loops, so there’s one to try.

eminva
    Participant

Weren’t we talking a couple weeks ago about a junk food alleycat race? Maybe we need to have a race between pit stops to see who can work in the most free breakfasts and gather the most swag! :)

Liz

dbb
    Participant

@eminva 16897 wrote:

Weren’t we talking a couple weeks ago about a junk food alleycat race? Maybe we need to have a race between pit stops to see who can work in the most free breakfasts and gather the most swag! :)

Liz

I’m there! Will you be forming the team?

Mikey
    Participant

Or do we grab 2 or 3 of everything and meet up at Freedom plaza to swap?

americancyclo
    Participant

Bonus points if you can get actual BikeArlington staff.

Mikey
    Participant

I recommend we come up with a B2WD swag scavenger hunt. We create a list of cool stuff that they normally give out and then see who collected the most stuff.

Stivnik
    Participant

If there are any Maryland riders, I know that Bethesda is the biggest pit stop – especially for those heading down the Crescent to DC. It was my stop for 3 years on my route from Tenleytown to my office at Marriott HQ in the Rock Springs Business Park.

But last year, I helped Marriott launch their inaugural pit stop and it was an awesome experience. Revolution Cycles provided wrench support and we had over 100 riders roll through our stop. I know it isn’t as many as Bethesda and pales in comparison to Freedom Plaza, but our grand prize was a Trek Atwood – a steel-framed, urban “throwback” ride. So do the math -those are pretty good odds for winning a bike!

We will have a DJ, pastries and fruit, and more raffle prizes- including Marriott gift certificates – and you can still roll down to Bethesda and get stuff there (if you don’t mind long lines). But you must register and ride to our Marriott HQ pit stop at 10400 Fernwood Rd to enter and win our raffles. We’ll be picking out a bike from Revolution shortly, so hit me up for more details, or follow me via Twitter @marrvelo for more news and noise: would love to hear from any riders who roll down Fernwood, Bradley, Tuckerman, Old Georgetown Road, or work in North Bethesda – be sure to look for our Marriott jerseys during your commutes and say “Hey, MarrVelo!”

We had a lot of NIH riders last year, which was awesome – great jerseys! Hope to see you all again this year!Our “pit shop” will take place 6:30-9:30 a.m. Register here: http://www.biketoworkmetrodc.org/. Again, remember to select “MD – Rock Springs Business Park” as your official pit stop when registering! See you May 18, if not sooner!

Keep riding!

Steve
    @MarrVelo

KLizotte
    Participant

If I were anywhere near Marriott HQ I’d definitely stop by this pit stop. Thanks Marriott and Steve for setting up what sounds like an awesome BTWD stop.

culimerc
    Participant

In the last couple of years I’ve been hitting the Dunn Loring stop, the Vienna, and Reston. Vienna seems to be the best combination of both location and food. Its right on the trail and last couple of years have had some snacks. Reston has more going on food, activity and raffle wise, but its farther out of the way if your not going to the town center.

dbb
    Participant

@americancyclo 16918 wrote:

Bonus points if you can get actual BikeArlington staff.

Tim or Zanna as swag? Probably contrary to Arlington County policy.

My day off just got rescheduled to fall on BTWD so I can now do a VA-DC based “Tour de Pitstops”. I think I’ll ride down to Old Town, double back through Crystal City, up to Rosslyn and then to Freedom Plaza. Ballston if the urge strikes me.

Sweet!

consularrider
    Participant

@dbb 17712 wrote:

My day off just got rescheduled to fall on BTWD so I can now do a VA-DC based “Tour de Pitstops”. I think I’ll ride down to Old Town, double back through Crystal City, up to Rosslyn and then to Freedom Plaza. Ballston if the urge strikes me.

Sweet!

What time are you going to get started?

americancyclo
    Participant

@dbb 17712 wrote:

I was imagining someone trying to hoist Tim on to their back and ride off to work. :p

CCrew
    Participant

@americancyclo 17714 wrote:

I was imagining someone trying to hoist Tim on to their back and ride off to work. :p

I’ve seen pictures, he has to run around in the shower just to get wet :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.