Want to be a Friend of BAFS?

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Want to be a Friend of BAFS?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    LhasaCM
    Participant

Since that page has people not on an assigned team, in theory it should be populated next week (after Tuesday’s HH/team assignments/the usual scramble to join teams and the frequent “why am I missing?!?” questions that are coming…)  Right now, everyone is thrown into the same leaderboard.

Steve O
    Participant

I don’t think there’s supposed to be. The whole point of being a “friend” is that you are not competing. And you can easily enough track your own miles in Strava. The idea of a “leaderboard” for friends is exactly contrary to the point. Friends are not part of the days/miles competition and are not on a team, so what’s the purpose of a leaderboard?

LhasaCM
    Participant

Friends can participate in the Pointless Prizes, so it makes sense for their stats to be captured somewhere on the website (since that’s easier than trying to parse the incoming to treat their data separately – still care about rides with hashtags but ignore all others?  ugh).  The separate “leaderboard” also just helps provide a list of who’s a friend, I think.

jrenaut
    Participant

The Friends leaderboard is anyone in the current year Strava group but NOT on one of the competitive teams. Since there are not competitive teams yet, EVERYONE is in the Strava group and NO ONE is on a competitive team so there is no one on the Friends leaderboard.

The purpose of the leaderboard is to make the Friends feel included – as if they are part of the fun if not the competition. Perhaps the following year, they will be so inspired by BAFS that they will join! Or they will heal from their injury or finish school or whatever kept them from competing this year will no longer be a barrier

cvcalhoun
    Participant

@steve-o I think this is a software issue. The software is picking people up from those who have joined the overall Freezing Saddles 2024 Strava club and authorized Freezing Saddles to read their miles, then removing all those who have joined individual team Strava clubs. If we eliminated their miles, we’d have nothing for it to pick up, so no way to identify those who are Friends, so no way to allow them to compete in Pointless Prizes (or to record tagged rides so they can record their entries in Pointless Prizes). That would be particularly harsh this year, because we’ve got people who tried to be on teams but may not be able to due to the cap on participants.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.