Pointless Prize 2024 – #Flag

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Pointless Prize 2024 – #Flag

Viewing 15 posts - 1,321 through 1,335 (of 1,341 total)
  • Author
    CBGanimal
    Participant

3/18/24 Flag – and the last one of the competition…It had to be the one I was saving to the end!!  The game was totally a hit in my bike riding routes.  Thank you!!

AlanA
    Participant

@cbganimal – I wanted to end with that, too.  But, I went ‘all in’ on that final day.  I wasn’t even close.  But my last flag on that was the US, so it sort of counts.

CaseyKane50
    Participant

3/18/2024 Flag University of Kentucky

CBGanimal
    Participant

Well i just read about the tie breaker…congrats to those who read the rules and somehow find out there are updates.  Still had a great time finding flags!!

Indiana
    Participant

3/18 flag on boat

Boomer Cycles
    Participant

3/18 – the Red Cross Red Cross

Thanks @bigredboiler for another year of a daily pointless prize that was accessible to all, kept my head up and made me more aware of my surroundings while grinding out the miles.

bigredboiler
    Participant

Awesome and impressive work by all.  More to come (details on winners, prizes, statistics/fun facts, etc.).  Give me a few days please.  Hopefully this coming wknd at latest.

@Cvcalhoun
    – Congratulations on the overall win.  You were certainly determined on Sunday 🙂

@matteblack
    – most impressive to find “seasonal” flags everyday this year.  I never would have guessed it to be possible.  And congrats on the big haul Saturday.  I didn’t think anyone would come close to that.

To all others who played daily (and did or didn’t realize the final twist)….thank you all for the dedication, and sorry I had to keep the “surprise” for the last minute.  I wanted to limit any mastermind route planning over days 🙂  I figured it would be tough to balance alerting everyone vs art of spontaneous surprise.

To all who played here & there along the way ….my thanks to you as well.  Always fun to see the interest and humbled to know you took the time to spot a flag on a ride, stop to photograph it, and then take even more time to share on Strava and the forum (no small task :).

Kris

cvcalhoun
    Participant

@AlanA, I had a whole list I was saving for last.  I had avoided:

• US flag
    • Maryland flag
    • DC flag
    • Montgomery County flag
    • All flags that were within a few blocks of my house.

My thought was that if there were ever a blizzard, I wanted a flag I could get to easily or one I could find anywhere.  Of course, there never was a blizzard.

And I had a list of all the embassies.  But I decided that as much as possible, I should avoid going places like embassies where I knew I’d find a flag, and instead look for ones that serendipitously appeared on my route to somewhere else.

So I was unknowingly preparing for that whirlwind day the whole time.  That day was a tour round the neighborhood ones, a brief detour to find that snorting horse for the scavenger hunt, then down one side of Embassy Row and up the other.  I had my list of embassies organized in such a way that I did all the even numbered addresses on the way down and all the odd numbered addresses on the way up so that I’d minimize street crossings.

@bigredboiler Thanks for another entertaining FS game that motivated me to get out and ride — often more miles than planned because, gosh darn it, there’s got to be a flag out around here somewhere, just another mile or two… and just another miles or two…. If you sponsor a game for next year’s FS, looking forward to whatever you concoct!

Serdar
    Participant

Hi @bigredboiler,

Thanks for sponsoring #flag prize this year.

Are you coming to the final Happy Hour on April 10 at City-State Brewing? If you do, you can announce your winners yourself. And that’s the best way. If not, I will do it for you. Could you please let me know if you are coming?

Thanks,
    Serdar

bigredboiler
    Participant

@serdar I can’t make it to happy hour 🙁  If you can announce, that would be great.

Overall winner: @cvcalhoun

Runners-up: 7 others who also played daily throughout BAFS.

@matteblack
    , @AlanA, @CBGanimal, @DCAKen, @CaseyKane50, @Indiana, @rumpuscat

To all winners – Who is going to HH?  I would like to ship a small prize to everyone.  I can ship individually and/or to one person who can distribute to others at HH.  I’ll message each of you via DM on Strava.  If you see this, you can reply to forum, my DM on Strava, or email me at cyclestein and the domain is the one owned by Google for email….

Kris

p.s. expect still another message from me here with summary/statistics of the game & a thank you.

bigredboiler
    Participant

Follow-up…I could only DM @cvccalhoun, @AlanA, @rumpuscat, @Indiana….everyone else, let me know how to reach you to get your address and/or email me (see above).  To enable DM on Strave, I had to add my birthdate (month/year) to my profile.  Probably same for you if you’re interested in enabling.

Kris

AlanA
    Participant

Kris – I already let you know that I’d be happy to hand out your prizes, but I’ll also post in here to let others know.
    If they don’t plan on going to happy hour, they should contact you instead.

CaseyKane50
    Participant

Kris, thanks for sponsoring this fun prize and for providing prizes. My head was constantly swiveling watching out for flags. Grateful for windy days to better capture some of the flags. I plan to be at the Happy Hour and will gratefully accept your prize from Alan. Thanks again!

DCAKen
    Participant

Thanks for sponsoring this pointless prize! I was trying to stick to country flags, but those are surprisingly hard to find outside of the DMV area.

I’ll be at the Happy Hour

Viewing 15 posts - 1,321 through 1,335 (of 1,341 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.