FSSB #2 – Birdges of Arlington County

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition FSSB #2 – Birdges of Arlington County

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    dkel
    Participant

Scored the 14th St bridge for team 7 today (my wife helped).
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]4467[/ATTACH]
    I had never ridden into DC from VA before. It was great! There were cars everywhere, and planes going overhead, and monuments all over…I felt like a tourist! I also did a tour of Hains Point, but because I went in on one side and out the other, I didn’t score a full lap. Whatever, though! Thanks, BAFS for getting me out where I wouldn’t have gone otherwise!

cvcalhoun
    Participant

How could the People’s Republic of Montgomery County possibly be anywhere other than the left side?

@rcannon100 74333 wrote:

Rod, I thought Maryland was on the left side….

@Rod Smith 74335 wrote:

You might be holding your map upside down. :p

@cyclingfool 74383 wrote:

Maryland – la rive gauche

Mikey
    Participant

@dkel 74491 wrote:

Scored the 14th St bridge for team 7 today (my wife helped).
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]4467[/ATTACH]
    I had never ridden into DC from VA before. It was great! There were cars everywhere, and planes going overhead, and monuments all over…I felt like a tourist! I also did a tour of Haines Point, but because I went in on one side and out the other, I didn’t score a full lap. Whatever, though! Thanks, BAFS for getting me out where I wouldn’t have gone otherwise!

There is an “unofficial crossing the ditch” ceremony, but it usually involves swimming through a pool of vanilla pudding and rolling around on your back before King Neptune buys you a beer or two. Welcome to the order of the multi-municipality!

dasgeh
    Participant

Do I get a prize if I found a bridge you missed? :-)

dasgeh
    Participant

PS – Team 9 — to the Strava discussion page!

cvcalhoun
    Participant

Sloppy Seconds hereby announces it has completed the FSSB #2 – Bridges of Arlington County challenge. (Last two rides to be uploaded shortly.) Results are as follows:

• POINT OF ROCKS (US15) – Subby (1/1)
    • KEY – acl (1/9)
    • MASON (14TH STREET) – scorchedearth (1/9)
    • ROOSEVELT (US50/I-66) – TwoWheelsDC (1/9)
    • WILSON BRIDGE (I-495) – Terpfan (1/9)
    • 11TH STREET (Navy Yard, SE) – elwbikes (1/10)
    • FREDERICK DOUGLAS (S. Capitol) – me (1/10)
    • BENNING ROAD (NE) – elwbikes (1/12)
    • ARLINGTON MEMORIAL – bikenurse, formerly mllwhnp (1/13)
    • CHAIN (VA-123) – consularrider (1/13)
    ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

@dasgeh 74630 wrote:

Do I get a prize if I found a bridge you missed? :-)

I think he stated that halfway-across bridges don’t count.

vvill
    Participant

@cvcalhoun 74644 wrote:

• 11TH STREET (Navy Yard, SE) – elwbikes (1/10)
    • FREDERICK DOUGLAS (S. Capitol) – me (1/10)
    • BENNING ROAD (NE) – elwbikes (1/12)
    • ARLINGTON MEMORIAL – bikenurse, formerly mllwhnp (1/13)
    • CHAIN (VA-123) – consularrider (1/13)

“you can repeat once each player has scored” – doesn’t that mean elwbikes can’t score Benning road until after consularrider’s done Chain? Just clarifying.

Mikey
    Participant

Congrats team 2 Sloppy seconds for completing FSSB#2!
    I hope this gave you a chance to connect on your strava page, and learn where your teammates are coming from. For some of you you found a new way into or out of the city. For everyone else fear not there will be a more challenging FSSB in the future.

Mikey
    Participant

@vvill 74660 wrote:

“you can repeat once each player has scored” – doesn’t that mean elwbikes can’t score Benning road until after consularrider’s done Chain? Just c
    Ruling… It’s okay as long as everyone on the team scored at least one different bridge and you scored a total of 10 authorized bridge.

peterw_diy
    Participant

@Mikey 74661 wrote:

Rats. I mean, congrats. Yeah, that’s it!

Thanks, Mikey, for getting me out on the bike at lunchtime to see a bit more of the Other Side. My teammates probably appreciate the extra points, too.

Mikey
    Participant

Honorable mention to team 9 from outer space. They waited until the last minute, but mounted quite a charge this afternoon. If not for the team part of the challenge, I’m sure Dirt would have had 10 crossings by the first day.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

We not only connected on our Strava page, but connected in person with a happy hour this evening. (The last bridge was crossed on the way to the happy hour.) Thanks for fostering the connection!

@Mikey 74661 wrote:

I hope this gave you a chance to connect on your strava page, and learn where your teammates are coming from. For some of you you found a new way into or out of the city. For everyone else fear not there will be a more challenging FSSB in the future.

bikenurse
    Participant

@cvcalhoun 74669 wrote:

We not only connected on our Strava page, but connected in person with a happy hour this evening. (The last bridge was crossed on the way to the happy hour.) Thanks for fostering the connection!

Kudos to my teammates for all their bridge crossings and the peer pressure. Living in PG County I would not have crossed the Arlington Mem Bridge without some incentive – like happy hour at Chadwick’s (and a 60 deg day in January for a 40 mile ride). Great to meet Carol, Emma, Chris & Chris – wonderful team mates!

Greenbelt
    Participant

@bikenurse 74670 wrote:

Kudos to my teammates for all their bridge crossings and the peer pressure. Living in PG County I would not have crossed the Arlington Mem Bridge without some incentive – like happy hour at Chadwick’s (and a 60 deg day in January for a 40 mile ride). Great to meet Carol, Emma, Chris & Chris – wonderful team mates!

Sloppy 2nds partial team photo. Chris = best non teammate ever! Jeff
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]4477[/ATTACH]

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.