FSSB #2 – Birdges of Arlington County

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition FSSB #2 – Birdges of Arlington County

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Mikey
    Participant

Ok, the polar vortex is leaving and its time for our second freezing saddles side bet. Is your team a bunch of trolls, or the brothers and sisters billy goat gruff? For this challenge you get points for each unique crossing of the Potomac and Anacostia you make. But the trick is each teammate can only take credit for one bridge. If I cross over the 14 th street bridge than someone else on my team only gets credit for a different bridge. All bridges between route 301 and Harper’s ferry are allowed. Whites ferry and the water taxi are in play if you ride to and from. Work out your list here or on your Strava page. First team to 10 wins! If you have less than 10 on your team no worries, you can repeat once each player has scored. We will check progress in a week.

DismalScientist
    Participant

Which tributaries of the Anacostia count? So, we can’t drive to White’s Ferry. What about Harper’s Ferry, Point of Rocks and Brunswick? Do the bridges half way over the Potomac at TR Island and Great Falls count (even if illegal)?

Mikey
    Participant

@DismalScientist 74137 wrote:

Which tributaries of the Anacostia count? So, we can’t drive to White’s Ferry. What about Harper’s Ferry, Point of Rocks and Brunswick? Do the bridges half way over the Potomac at TR Island and Great Falls count (even if illegal)?

I’ll look at a map tonight and give you the approved list. I’m thinking for the anacostia only counting south capital and the 11th street complex. List to follow.

Steve O
    Participant

What’s a Birdge? And does it hurt if I cross one?

Mikey
    Participant

Okay billy goats, here is the list of bridge for FSSB#2
    WILSON BRIDGE (I-495) FREDERICK DOUGLAS (S. Capitol), 11TH STREET (Navy Yard, SE), PA AVE (SE), EAST CAPITOL, BENNING ROAD (NE), MASON (14TH STREET) , ARLINGTON MEMORIAL , ROOSEVELT (US50/I-66), KEY, CHAIN (VA-123), WHITES FERRY, POINT OF ROCKS (US15), BRUNSWICK ( Berlin Turnpike/ US 17), AND HARPERS FERRY TRESSLE (Appalachian trail).

That’s 15 bridges in all. I cannot attest to the safety of any crossing West of the chain bridge, and I imagine that the General Jubal Early is not running through the iced over Potomac. That said first team to 10, and lists the bridge with the teammember who crossed it for each one and then posts the list here wins. As you can see I removed the water taxi, and minor bridges that don’t cross the center of the river are out.

Edit – I have removed the Rout 340 bridge due to safety concerns – I don’t want to encourage anyone to hurt themselves.

Steve O
    Participant

If this side bet is popular you could do a variation later in the competition in which each direction on a bridge counts separately, but the same rider cannot get credit for both directions on the same bridge.

DismalScientist
    Participant

@Mikey 74160 wrote:

I cannot attest to the safety of any crossing West of the chain bridge, and I imagine that the General Jubal Early is not running through the iced over Potomac.

The status of White’s Ferry is posted on its facebook page and is currently closed due to ice on the river.
    Do not try to cross on the US 340 bridge near Harper’s Ferry.
    You may have to walk the trestle at Harper’s Ferry, but I assume that still counts.:rolleyes:

Mikey
    Participant

And if the team competition is too confusing there will be an individual award for the person who crosses the most during the challenge. (I’m currently at 1)

Subby
    Participant

This a great idea for a challenge!

eminva
    Participant

@DismalScientist 74200 wrote:

Do not try to cross on the US 340 bridge near Harper’s Ferry.

I will take your word for it and make no such attempt, but why? Does it defy even your level of intrepidness?

Clarification for Mikey: does the ride have to be part of your commute? You mention Whites Ferry is allowed if you ride to/from. Didn’t know if that has to be a long commute home or if it can be a weekend ride.

Liz

Mikey
    Participant

@eminva 74207 wrote:

Clarification for Mikey: does the ride have to be part of your commute? You mention Whites Ferry is allowed if you ride to/from. Didn’t know if that has to be a long commute home or if it can be a weekend ride.

Liz

As with all of the side bets. You are your own referee. No, it doesn’t have to be part of your commute. And you don’t have to ride from your front door to the bridge to make it count. I leave it to everyone to determine what counts and what doesn’t. The idea is that for the ferry you had to roll on your bike and roll off, as part of a Canal/W&OD loop, but I’m not puting any restrictions on what counts.

DismalScientist
    Participant

@eminva 74207 wrote:

I will take your word for it and make no such attempt, but why? Does it defy even your level of intrepidness?

Purely a safety concern. 340 is basically a freeway that gets dumped onto a narrow and long two lane shoulderless bridge. The Harper’s Ferry railroad trestle (with pedestrian sidepath) is nearby.

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

The first person to cross the bridges in a Eulerian Path automatically wins #BAFS.

Terpfan
    Participant

@DismalScientist 74209 wrote:

Purely a safety concern. 340 is basically a freeway that gets dumped onto a narrow and long two lane shoulderless bridge. The Harper’s Ferry railroad trestle is nearby.

I would cross at it, but only if I knew a friend was driving behind me. Also, wouldn’t this route give someone credit for two bridges if they just keep going up to that Shenandoah Bridge?

With all that said, I was up there two weeks ago to see family so I probably won’t be back up to nab all the bridges there for my team.

MattAune
    Participant

So I f I am reading this correctly: We cannot have 5 teammates each cross 2 bridges, we have to have each teammate cross one bridge and one teammate cross 2 (we have 9 people).

The first scenario seems completely reasonable.. the second scenario not so much for us.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.