Freezing Saddles 2014 Rules

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Freezing Saddles 2014 Rules

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    americancyclo
    Participant

Personally, I’m aiming for sleaze rides, since I live less than a mile from the metro, and there are some days that I need the nap on the way home. On days I metro, I usually total 1.6 miles. No shame in that for me!

rcannon100
    Participant

@peterw_diy 73562 wrote:

Isn’t the point to encourage folks to ride?

The rules were created by consensus months ago. The rules are not changing at this point (except by consensus – probably through the captains).

There is no point. Seriously. This is a self organized spoof among friends who ride a lot. It is our way of laughing and having fun. Freezing Saddles is not sponsored by anyone. It does not have a purpose. It does not have a mission. It is us having fun.

We call it a sleaze ride because we have made our own rules, and then we are gaming our own rules. It is a way of laughing at ourselves. We have create a game that has no real point, has no real prizes, has no real meaning – and then we are laughing and taking it all serious for no point other than we like each others company and comradery. The term “sleaze ride” is just a laugh at and by those of us who love to cycle.

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

If you do a sleaze ride, you will be harassed. But you’ll be harassed more if you skip a day. If you boast about not missing a day, you will be harassed even more.

Arlingtonrider
    Participant

My concern was that we not change the point system. I have no problem with being sleazy! :)

dbb
    Participant

@Arlingtonrider 73593 wrote:

I have no problem with being sleazy! :)

I’ll drink to that!

cvcalhoun
    Participant

I’m announcing in advance my intention to be sleazy! I accurately stated when I joined this contest that I normally ride only two days a week, for a total of about 30 miles a week. The other five days, I normally go to the gym, which is about 2/3 of a mile from me. While I simply do not have the time to go on a long ride every day, I figure I can do a lot for my team’s points if I just start biking instead of driving to the gym. So, I’m not going to avoid sleaze rides, but will not object to random trash talk. To paraphrase Patrick Henry, “If this be sleazy, make the most of it!”

DismalScientist
    Participant

I don’t think sleaze is really meant as term of derision.

As for the trash talk, I blame Mr Cannon for not including the question “How crazy are you?”

rcannon100
    Participant

@DismalScientist 73609 wrote:

“How crazy are you?”

Well, doctor, I was born at a very young age….

…. and I have these friends. Their names?? Well their names are Dismal, and Dread, and Dirt, and AmericanCyclo….

…. and I ride laps around Hains Point….

…. and I would rather be riding down the MVT in a blizzard than in one of those damn, four wheeled sofa tin cans with heat and tunes…

… and one of our patron saints is “Crazy Ivan”…

… and I like spandex…

… and I spent more time this weekend cleaning my bicycle chain than talking to my teenager….

DismalScientist
    Participant

Why would you talk to your teenager?

rcannon100
    Participant

@cvcalhoun 73599 wrote:

To paraphrase Patrick Henry, “If this be sleazy, make the most of it!”

That’s not sleazy…. THIS! This is sleazy ->

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4412[/ATTACH]

rcannon100
    Participant

You are missing bilsko, vvill and JAntos.

Some names are inherently more suspicious then others :rolleyes:

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

@rcannon100 73612 wrote:

… and I spent more time this weekend cleaning my bicycle chain than talking to my teenager….

Of course. Chains are more responsive than teenagers.

Fast Friendly Guy
    Participant

@ShawnoftheDread 73619 wrote:

Of course. Chains are more responsive than teenagers.

…and less greasy

dasgeh
    Participant

@peterw_diy 73556 wrote:

My shortest grocery route is 1.9 round trip. With this proposed change, I’d only need treat There and Back separately (Finish/Record rather than Stop/Resume). Doesn’t seem right, especially since it means more work on your part. Better to invent me to take the scenic route and get a wee bit more saddle time.

But it’s not a sleaze ride if it’s errands. Strava told me so. http://www.strava.com/activities/104000897

jrenaut
    Participant

@dasgeh 73636 wrote:

But it’s not a sleaze ride if it’s errands. Strava told me so. http://www.strava.com/activities/104000897

Exactly.

11782242733_30bf5c11d6.jpg
    It’s not a Freezing Saddles “sleaze ride” if you drag this up a big hill by thetejon, on Flickr

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.