Freezing Saddles 2014 Rules

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Freezing Saddles 2014 Rules

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Justin Antos
    Participant

So my bike commute is down to 0.9 miles in, 0.9 miles out. I guess I better do some loop-de-loops to get over 2.0 so every day isn’t counted as sleaze for me :).

Hozn, how are runs and walks handled? Okay to put those on Strava and they’re excluded?

jopamora
    Participant

@Justin Antos 73529 wrote:

So my bike commute is down to 0.9 miles in, 0.9 miles out. I guess I better do some loop-de-loops to get over 2.0 so every day isn’t counted as sleaze for me :).

Hozn, how are runs and walks handled? Okay to put those on Strava and they’re excluded?

They reduce your riding miles by a random multiplier.

KLizotte
    Participant

Calling all Team 4 members. Please join the Strava club (Bollard Busters):

http://www.strava.com/clubs/46225

hozn
    Participant

@peterw_diy 73520 wrote:

1) Strava’s API gives distance in meters; it’s bafs that converts to miles, and from what I see, bafs does not round the numbers deliberately, so it could probably store 3219 m as something like 2.000198839275728 mi

2) You need 2 miles, no more.

Yes, correct on both. Strava appears to provide 1-decimal precision for their distances in meters too (e.g. 3218.9). But since Strava also adjusts (reduces) Garmin distances, probably better to err on side of slightly over.

hozn
    Participant

@Justin Antos 73529 wrote:

Yes, we pass over any activities that are not “cycling” type. And any activities marked “trainer” and any with #NoBAFS in the ride title.

hozn
    Participant

@rcannon100 73512 wrote:

“Sleaze Rides” is what we have been calling it since before BAFS was even formed. It dates back to the National Bike Challenge. The colloquial term is “Sleaze Rides” because you are cheezing points on a cheap ride. It usually involves a pointless ride to nowhere (you know, like riding to work). It is a ride taken for the soul purpose of bogarting those 10 points.

So the important distinction here is we are not counting a day of, say, 10 1.4 mile rides as a day where the user “earned” 10 sleaze rides. Only on a day when the ride(s) total less than 2.0 miles, but more than 1.0 does the sleaze counter increment. So this is why it is worth saying that we measure “sleaze days”, though in practice we probably expect that sleaze days are a single 1.0-2.0-mile ride.

Sorry, not trying to beat a dead horse, just want to make sure there is no ambiguity before someone wins that one.

rcannon100
    Participant

I dont know what a “sleaze day” is. There is no such thing in our game. I think the introduction of a new term by someone who is not part of the game caused confusion

In a day

If you ride < 1 mile, all you get is that distance added to your total distance. If you ride > 1 mile, you get distanced + 10 points

If you ride more than 1 but less than 2 miles, this is labeled as a “sleaze ride” by the code, which counts the number of days someone goes for a “sleaze ride.” This label has no importance other than it gets measured. There may be a pointless prize for the most sleaze rides.

A “sleaze ride” is a short ride taken for the purpose of getting the 10 points and in all likelihood it is just a participant going around the block for a sufficient distance to get the points.

hozn
    Participant

Ok, well we can adjust the definition to be a 1-2-mile ride when that is the only ride of the day. That is a bit different than what we are doing now — though likely the results will be very similar. That might be better, though, as it would exclude folks like Justin who are commuting short distances (but doing multiple rides).

Ok, I will make that change once I figure out the SQL.

peterw_diy
    Participant

Is it worth the trouble? It’s not like it would be difficult to break a 1.1 mile ride in half either by manually entering the info as two activities or using the app’s Finish button mid-ride.

My shortest grocery route is 1.9 round trip. With this proposed change, I’d only need treat There and Back separately (Finish/Record rather than Stop/Resume). Doesn’t seem right, especially since it means more work on your part. Better to invent me to take the scenic route and get a wee bit more saddle time.

Rod Smith
    Participant

Breaking your 1.9 mile ride into two 0.95 mile segments to avoid scoring a “sleaze ride” is extra sleazy.

Arlingtonrider
    Participant

@rcannon100 73546 wrote:

A “sleaze ride” is a short ride taken for the purpose of getting the 10 points and in all likelihood it is just a part icipant going around the block for a sufficient distance to get the points.

That might be true for some people, but I think that for many it is incentive to get into the habit of using their bikes to get to the grocery store, library, coffee shop, etc. in areas where many useful businesses are nearby. I like the fact that this contest encourages people to use their bikes for more purposes.

peterw_diy
    Participant

@Rod Smith 73558 wrote:

Breaking your 1.9 mile ride into two 0.95 mile segments to avoid scoring a “sleaze ride” is extra sleazy.

If done to game bafs, yes. Calling it one ride if I spend 45 minute shopping also seems weird. Isn’t the point to encourage folks to ride?

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

@rcannon100 73546 wrote:

A “sleaze ride” is a short ride taken for the purpose of getting the 10 points and in all likelihood it is just a participant going around the block for a sufficient distance to get the points.

That’s just called consistency and it’s very Pro.

hozn
    Participant

Ok, we will leave it alone. There really isn’t any shame in sleaze rides :) the contest is setup to reward those that jump on the bike daily, which is a good thing.

Ok, I am off to tow my kid in the trailer to a sledding hill!

Rod Smith
    Participant

@peterw_diy 73562 wrote:

If done to game bafs, yes. Calling it one ride if I spend 45 minute shopping also seems weird. Isn’t the point to encourage folks to ride?

Sure. I wasn’t trying to put you down. I agree with you, Kathy and Hans, about the point of the contest and why there is a bonus ten points for every day that you ride. If someone’s too busy for a longer ride, a short one to put some points on the board should be appreciated by his or her teammates. And if you’re grocery shopping by bike, you rock!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.