Freezing Saddles 2014 Rules

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Freezing Saddles 2014 Rules

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    rcannon100
    Participant

@Arlingtonrider 73470 wrote:

Ouch! (on behalf of non-slackers) I thought the extra points attached at one mile.

Yes yes. A 1 mile ride = 11 points. 2 mile ride = 12 points.

But, any ride that is 11 or 12 points gets officially relegated in Honz’s coding magic as a “sleaze ride” and the rider is forever shamed with a scarlet letter “S”. Not wanting to dishonor Team 9, I made sure to ride 3 miles (in a circle around the neighborhood). But I want to ensure that the fruits of my labor are not wasted. If I merely need to ride 2.1 miles – then that’s .9 unnecessary miles.

You see the dilemma.

hozn
    Participant

@rcannon100 73469 wrote:

Honz, you have it config’red such that a Sleaze Ride is any ride that equals 11 or 12 points. So – for us to be liberated of the disparagement of having ridden a sleaze ride – we have to have ridden 3 miles? (as opposed to say 2.1 miles). Is that correct sir?

We can change it. It was an arbitrary cutoff. I thought it was any ride that was more than one but less than 2 miles. But maybe I did less than 3. I can check.

What should it be?

sjclaeys
    Participant

@rcannon100 73469 wrote:

Honz, you have it config’red such that a Sleaze Ride is any ride that equals 11 or 12 points. So – for us to be liberated of the disparagement of having ridden a sleaze ride – we have to have ridden 3 miles? (as opposed to say 2.1 miles). Is that correct sir?

My recollection from last year is that the mileage was rounded down to the whole mile. Thus, if you are at 10.8 miles, it is worth going .2 more to get the extra point.

rcannon100
    Participant

@hozn 73473 wrote:

We can change it. It was an arbitrary cutoff. I thought it was any ride that was more than one but less than 2 miles. But maybe I did less than 3. I can check.

What should it be?

Arbitrary, in this game, I believe is a feature. I see no need to change it. I merely want to know how much effort I must waste. Do I need to hit 2.1 miles or 3? :rolleyes: (Three does seem to be a good cut off to officially not be sleaze)

Amalitza

@sjclaeys 73474 wrote:

My recollection from last year is that the mileage was rounded down to the whole mile. Thus, if you are at 10.8 miles, it is worth going .2 more to get the extra point.

Mileage is not rounded (unless hozn has changed the accounting from last year). If you ride 10.8 miles today and 10.2 miles tomorrow, you have 21 miles total, not 20. HOWEVER, you only get your 10 daily points if you ride at least one full mile (per day, not per ride). I accidentally rode 0.99miles once last year and I didn’t get my ten points for the day until I went out and rode another little bit. It still counts in total mileage, though.

sjclaeys
    Participant

@acl 73477 wrote:

Mileage is not rounded (unless hozn has changed the accounting from last year). If you ride 10.8 miles today and 10.2 miles tomorrow, you have 21 miles total, not 20. HOWEVER, you only get your 10 daily points if you ride at least one full mile (per day, not per ride). I accidentally rode 0.99miles once last year and I didn’t get my ten points for the day until I went out and rode another little bit. It still counts in total mileage, though.

I was referring to points accumulation, not miles. I fairly clearly remember riding say 12.6 miles and getting 22 points.

vvill
    Participant

I thought both this and last year, 2.5miles would round to 3 and 2.4 to 2 for points.

Which means to avoid a sleaze 2.5 miles is needed. Seems like a decent mileage for days like today, and only a slight extension to a short errand ride.

hozn
    Participant

Ok, I checked the code. So the way it is coded now (which was intended to match ronwalf’s algorithm, but of course we can agree to change) points are not rounded in the database. It is simply X + sum(mileage) where X is 10.0 if sum(mileage) >= 1.0.

I haven’t confirmed this, but i believe points are rounded down (truncated) in the display only — as is mileage (we store much more precise representation than we show). So two 2.5-point days will be 5 points. I don’t think there is any rounding in the system except for display.

A sleaze ride (as is only used for that one chart) is one where points > 11.0 and < 12.0 (no rounding happening there). So 1.0 - 2.0 miles should be the only thing that matches. Again, we can adjust. Hope that helps clarify. Let me know if you see evidence that this explanation is wrong.

peterw_diy
    Participant

@hozn 73500 wrote:

A sleaze ride (as is only used for that one chart) is one where points > 11.0 and < 12.0 (no rounding happening there). So 1.0 - 2.0 miles should be the only thing that matches. Again, we can adjust. Hope that helps clarify. Let me know if you see evidence that this explanation is wrong.

To clarify: there are not sleaze rides but sleaze days. A sleaze day is any day when a rider put in at least 1 mile but less than 2 miles. Ride exactly 2 miles (even if spread over 10 rides that day) and you’ll earn 12 points and avoid being flagged as having a sleaze day. (I’m basing this on https://github.com/hozn/bafs/blob/7d492b9aa7c4379dfae13d2e4b02341c0b53ee0b/bafs/views/chartdata.py#L193.) Team sleaze days follow the same logic (individuals riding > 1 mi but < 2 mi in one day). Ride less than one mile total on a day, and it’s not sleaze. Makes sense, since you’re not getting the 10 point bonus for < 1 mile/day.

hozn
    Participant

Yes, that is correct; thanks for the clarification. If it says sleaze “rides” anywhere we should fix that.

peterw_diy
    Participant

@hozn 73510 wrote:

Yes, that is correct; thanks for the clarification. If it says sleaze “rides” anywhere we should fix that.

Nah, at least in the master branch source I only see it being labeled correctly, as sleaze days.

rcannon100
    Participant

“Sleaze Rides” is what we have been calling it since before BAFS was even formed. It dates back to the National Bike Challenge. The colloquial term is “Sleaze Rides” because you are cheezing points on a cheap ride. It usually involves a pointless ride to nowhere (you know, like riding to work). It is a ride taken for the soul purpose of bogarting those 10 points.

As for the rounding, HONZ, that’s how I had remembered it. All ride distance is cumulative. Two rides of 2.5 on different days gets you 5 points (as opposed to 2.5 getting rounded up to 3 x 2 days = 6 points; or as opposed to just losing any distance gained after the decimal).

As far as what is a sleaze ride, I am indifferent, and if you are basing it on what Ron did, then magnificent. I just love that in your data you can measure how many sleaze rides people took – knowing that >2 miles is the magic distance, we know what is expected in order to not be disparaged. The one award I dont want to receive is the one for the most sleaze rides ridden :p

vvill
    Participant

No rounding/truncating until display – sounds good. Thanks hozn.

3300 metres would probably be rounded to 2.1 miles by Strava, so that’s probably the least you can do to avoid the sleaze moniker.

dkel
    Participant

I came home from work and put in a sleazy 2.4, only to find out it’s not sleazy at all! Best day ever! (So relieved that I didn’t lose both thumbs to frostbite on a sleaze ride.) (And why were my thumbs the only part of me that was freezing?!?) (I had decent elevation gain, though, which is good.) (Aren’t parentheses great?) ((()))(())((()))

peterw_diy
    Participant

@vvill 73514 wrote:

3300 metres would probably be rounded to 2.1 miles by Strava, so that’s probably the least you can do to avoid the sleaze moniker.

1) Strava’s API gives distance in meters; it’s bafs that converts to miles, and from what I see, bafs does not round the numbers deliberately, so it could probably store 3219 m as something like 2.000198839275728 mi

2) You need 2 miles, no more.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.