Freezing Saddles 2014 Rules

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Freezing Saddles 2014 Rules

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    rcannon100
    Participant

Consensus:

Freezing Saddles: Winter Bike Challenge
    Never Give an ELITE Cyclist an Even Break

Freezing Saddles! The Epic Adventure of a band of ELITE Cyclists, facing the challenges of the wild wild winter bike paths. Confronting the darkest of evenings, the coldest of mornings, and the stupidest of Ninjas – these brave cyclists challenge each other because, if they didnt, they might have to actually do some work during the day.

The saga runs January 1 until the last day of Winter, March 19. There will be a Happy Hour at the end with many pointless trophies.

* Tribes (teams):
    ** Composed of ~8 riders or less
    ** For riders from the WABA / Bike Arlington forum
    ** Volunteer Captains (captains will address any data problems, negotiate or cause confusion, and provide motivational seminars);
    * This is a ten-gallon hat tournament. Riders will be randomly assigned to tribes based on self declared average weekly mileage and days cycled. Tribes will be created so that each tribes’s average weekly point score is roughly equal to everyone else’s. To achieve this, tribes may be composed of differing numbers of riders.
    * No late sign ups (this year absolute – I have other things that I will have to be attending to).
    * Interested cyclists must sign up by December 24 Midnight – Tribes will be announced within a couple days.
    * All rides must be logged by DATE in order to be included
    * No sandbagging.
    * Communications will be through the forum.

Scoring: Riders will receive 10 points for each day and 1 point for each mile ridden. Minimum ride is 1 mile. The tribe’s score will be the sum of the tribe members (indoor trainers do not count- you must be freezing in the saddle outside).

La Strava
    * We will honor the “trainer” checkbox in Strava; those rides will be ignored. As will rides with #NoBAFS (case-insensitive) in the ride name.
    * Any rides with kiddos on your bike can be tagged in the ride name with #Kidical for a kidically pointless prize.
    * In order for rides to be counted, the athletes will need to authorize the Freezing Saddles application to read their Strava data. (Details coming very soon on how to do that.)
    * Also, riders will need to be a member of their “tribe” Strava club in order for their rides to count (we’ll only be showing riders that are on one of the competition teams) — and I will need the list of those team IDs for configuring the scoreboard. Of course any recorded rides will be counted retroactively if any of the team captains are late in getting the clubs formed (or late in getting me the ID of the clubs … or I’m late in updating the app configuration).

Freezing Saddles is a self organized effort of the participants. Freezing Saddles is not sponsored by anyone (it is not sponsored by Bike Arlington or by WABA). There is no organization. It is just a bunch of people coming together to be silly and ride bikes when it is really really cold. Your participation in Freezing Saddles is voluntary and at your own risk and you have not paid anyone anything to participate. Please volunteer to help make this self organized effort succeed.

Be Brave. Be Bold. Be…. questful! In the words of Hedley Lamarr:

Men, you are about to embark on a great crusade to stamp out runaway decency on the bike paths. Now you men will only be risking your lives, whilst I will be risking an almost certain Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor

blazing-saddles-665.jpg

dasgeh
    Participant

And tag any rides with kiddos on your bike as #Kidical for a kidically pointless prize.

hozn
    Participant

Just a couple of minor backend-related points:
    – We will honor the “trainer” checkbox in Strava; those rides will be ignored. As will rides with #NoBAFS (case-insensitive) in the ride name.
    – In order for rides to be counted, the athletes will need to authorize the Freezing Saddles application to read their Strava data. (Details coming very soon on how to do that.)
    – Also, riders will need to be a member of their “tribe” Strava club in order for their rides to count (we’ll only be showing riders that are on one of the competition teams) — and I will need the list of those team IDs for configuring the scoreboard. Of course any recorded rides will be counted retroactively if any of the team captains are late in getting the clubs formed (or late in getting me the ID of the clubs … or I’m late in updating the app configuration).

I will also post the rules on the scoreboard website once this is finalized.

Despite not participating this year, I’m really happy to see this is happening again. Thanks! I’m enjoying working on the software and I’m sure I’ll be back as a competitor too for the 2015 edition :)

Mikey
    Participant

Points are 10 per day where at least 1 mile were ridden, and 1pt for each mile during the challenge. If someone were to ride 0.9 miles for 10 days they would still score 9 pts for their total mileage, just no day bonus. Also if you ride two time in a day for 0.5 miles, you still get the dailybonus, plus one point for the mile. Fractions of miles count towards the total.

KLizotte
    Participant

Many thanks to rcannon and hozn for all your hard work putting this together!

dasgeh
    Participant

It was suggested to add the reg deadline to the reg page…

Terpfan
    Participant

Looking forward to it. And will definitely keep posted for the strava instructions since I last used it like oh, a year ago maybe. Shoot maybe I’ll do the monthly pay for version if it makes it easier during this time.

KLizotte
    Participant

Can someone tell me where to find the Freezing Saddles results website? I’ve registered and given authorization for the website to access my Strava data. I’ve looked on the forum but can’t find the soft launch site. Many thanks!

guga31bb
    Participant
    KLizotte
    Participant

Thanks! It’s a pretty slick website!!!

cvcalhoun
    Participant

You might want to provide instructions for how to enter here, with a link for each step. As far as I can make out, to enter you need to:

Bonus link:

Here is the leaderboard.

I’ve picked up each of these from a different place, and it actually took me quite some time even to find the links for where I did these things again. And apparently I’m not the only one who is confused, as others have for example signed up for the app and not the club on Strava. Any chance of getting one comprehensive list?

rcannon100
    Participant

FS is a collaborative volunteer effort. If you see something that needs to be done, please feel free to volunteer to do it.

Thanks

B

cvcalhoun
    Participant

I have added links to my post above, but I have no way to edit the original post in this thread, which is the one in which the information needs to appear. @rcannon100 72220 wrote:

FS is a collaborative volunteer effort. If you see something that needs to be done, please feel free to volunteer to do it.

Thanks

B

rcannon100
    Participant

Honz, you have it config’red such that a Sleaze Ride is any ride that equals 11 or 12 points. So – for us to be liberated of the disparagement of having ridden a sleaze ride – we have to have ridden 3 miles? (as opposed to say 2.1 miles). Is that correct sir?

Arlingtonrider
    Participant

Ouch! (on behalf of non-slackers) I thought the extra points attached at one mile.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.