Covet

Viewing 15 posts - 1,006 through 1,020 (of 1,034 total)
  • Author
    dasgeh
    Participant

@bentbike33 123608 wrote:

Getting back to human-powered…

The ultimate BAFS ride:

largealt2-ice15_fullfatfs_orange2.jpg

Black-ice crashes? Impossible. Snow-packed MVT? Not a problem.

Reminds me of this:
    https://twitter.com/YehudaMoon/status/638819882570674180

mstone
    Participant

@bentbike33 123608 wrote:

Black-ice crashes? Impossible. Snow-packed MVT? Not a problem.

Making it up a hill? Priceless. :D

GovernorSilver
    Participant

The new NuVinci N380 internal gear hub

http://www.nuvincicycling.com/en/products/nfinity.html

mstone
    Participant

@GovernorSilver 125978 wrote:

I refuse to believe that the tolerances are tight enough for “infinite” variability.

GovernorSilver
    Participant

@mstone 125990 wrote:

I refuse to believe that the tolerances are tight enough for “infinite” variability.

All I know is that the predecessor (N360) does its job, by all reports. It’s even said to be superior in reliability and function to my Shimano Nexus 8. It’s a mature product that has been around for several years, not a Kickstarter experiment. The only negative thing I’ve read about it is it’s not particularly conducive to going fast – which for me is a non-issue because my bike wasn’t designed for racing anyway.

No reason to believe the N380 shouldn’t be an upgrade over the N360.

sethpo
    Participant

@GovernorSilver 125996 wrote:

All I know is that the predecessor (N360) does its job, by all reports. It’s even said to be superior in reliability and function to my Shimano Nexus 8. It’s a mature product that has been around for several years, not a Kickstarter experiment. The only negative thing I’ve read about it is it’s not particularly conducive to going fast – which for me is a non-issue because my bike wasn’t designed for racing anyway.

No reason to believe the N380 shouldn’t be an upgrade over the N360.

My wife has the N360 on her bike. The range of gear ratios on both ends seems more limited than a triple ring nine speed but within those boundaries it certainly operates as if it’s “infinite”. It’s super easy and very neat. I’d guess it’s closer to a 2×10 with 12-25 cassette but it’s hard to say for sure since I’ve barely ridden it b/c the frame is way too small for me.

It’s a nice option for a low maintenance townie bike with greater gear range than a 3 or 5 speed internal hub imo.

GovernorSilver
    Participant

@sethpo 126000 wrote:

My wife has the N360 on her bike. The range of gear ratios on both ends seems more limited than a triple ring nine speed but within those boundaries it certainly operates as if it’s “infinite”. It’s super easy and very neat. I’d guess it’s closer to a 2×10 with 12-25 cassette but it’s hard to say for sure since I’ve barely ridden it b/c the frame is way too small for me.

It’s a nice option for a low maintenance townie bike with greater gear range than a 3 or 5 speed internal hub imo.

My bike (Breezer Uptown 8) is pretty much a townie, although I’ve replaced the handlebar to with a trekking bar so it looks a little less townie-ish. There was an earlier Breezer model (Uptown Infinity) that came stock with an N360 or other NuVinci IGH – but apparently it was discontinued.

The Sheldon Brown gear calculator says the N360 has better gear range (in gain ratios) than the Nexus 8 on my bike, both in the low end (2.1 vs. 2.2) and high end (7.4 vs. 6.6). The N380 is still too new to appear in the Sheldon Brown calculator but they bumped up the overdrive on that model from 1.65 or whatever it was on the N360 to 1.9 – probably still not enough for me to compete in time trials but would probably allow me to go a bit faster on the descent down Raoul Wallenberger towards E. Basin.

mstone
    Participant

@GovernorSilver 125996 wrote:

I have no opinion on any of that, just misuse of the word “infinite”.

GovernorSilver
    Participant

@mstone 126009 wrote:

I have no opinion on any of that, just misuse of the word “infinite”.

I don’t know when they started using that product name, but suffice it to say you’re several years late. ;)

Emm
    Participant

@GovernorSilver 125978 wrote:

This is 750 grams heavier (aka 1.7 lbs) than the Shimano Alfine 11 speed which I have on my bike. I already find the shimano alfine to be heavy at 3.8 lbs, this comes in at 5.5 lbs. I’m not sure it’s worth the weight for anything but a short distance townie bike–the gearing would need to be amazing to be worth it for a longer distance bike.

I’m already concerned about needing to retire my commuter with the alfine hub early if my husband and I buy a house further out in VA in the next few years. For longer rides (10-12 miles or more), the added weight really does make a difference in time and comfort. It’s AWESOME for my current 8 mile commute, but even now I sometimes switch to my old trek road bike on nice days since it’s much faster and lighter.

GovernorSilver
    Participant

@Emm 126014 wrote:

This is 750 grams heavier (aka 1.7 lbs) than the Shimano Alfine 11 speed which I have on my bike. I already find the shimano alfine to be heavy at 3.8 lbs, this comes in at 5.5 lbs. I’m not sure it’s worth the weight for anything but a short distance townie bike–the gearing would need to be amazing to be worth it for a longer distance bike.

I’m already concerned about needing to retire my commuter with the alfine hub early if my husband and I buy a house further out in VA in the next few years. For longer rides (10-12 miles or more), the added weight really does make a difference in time and comfort. It’s AWESOME for my current 8 mile commute, but even now I sometimes switch to my old trek road bike on nice days since it’s much faster and lighter.

It’s a legit concern. This brings up the one bit of bad news about the new N330 model – no weight savings over its big brother, the N360. The N380 has the higher gearing than the N360 without a weight gain, so for some that can be interpreted as good news. The Rohloff IGH is supposed to be awesome with its 14 speeds – it had better be awesome at that $1500 price.

I’ve been teased by several coworkers that I picked the wrong bike for a 12-mile commute for various reasons (34lb bike weight, limited gear range, only one hand position, etc.). I’m still saving up and keeping my eyes open for a deal on an adventure road bike – or any road bike really that will let me put on wide, cushy tires – but I like my pack mule bike enough to keep it around for grocery fetching and rainy days.

mstone
    Participant

bike weight. meh. 1st world problems.

hozn
    Participant

@GovernorSilver 126035 wrote:

The Rohloff IGH is supposed to be awesome with its 14 speeds – it had better be awesome at that $1500 price.

Possibly. A friend of mine went down this Rohloff road (he did actually get it used but then shipped it off to have it rebuilt by authorized dealer or the mfr) and had nothing but problems with Rohloff on the mtb. I don’t remember all the particulars, but I think he had to have it rebuilt a second time after just a year or so and then I believe it also was blamed for breaking his Titus Racer X frame. I rode it once; the shifting was nice, but you can definitely notice the rear-wheel concentrated unsprung weight when riding over things. I’m sure the weight issue would have been worth it if it was a more reliable setup.

ejwillis62
    Participant

Question for the group I am looking to buy a tandem for the husband and myself. We want it to be light enough and sturdy enough to use for long rides, like RAGBRAI (ride across IOWA) any suggestions on brand? or which one would be good.

Emm
    Participant

I have no need for this bike, but GAHHH it’s so pretty…

http://www.shinola.com/shop/bicycles/the-womens-runwell-bicycle.html

light blue, disc brakes, step through frame, front basket and a shimano alfine internally geared hub…

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9856[/ATTACH]

This is also so pretty, but has less features (no basket, less gears)…

http://www.shinola.com/shop/bicycles/the-women-s-bixby.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9857[/ATTACH]

One day when I am rich I will buy bikes because they are pretty, and not just due to their function. Until then, I’ll be holding on to my $3,000…

Viewing 15 posts - 1,006 through 1,020 (of 1,034 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.