2024 Photo Scavenger Hunt – Rules and Alternate Words

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition 2024 Photo Scavenger Hunt – Rules and Alternate Words

Viewing 15 posts - 2,011 through 2,025 (of 2,102 total)
  • Author
    Boomer Cycles
    Participant

3/18 – Planet Word is a place you’d go to know not only how a word is SPELT but how words became language, and also how language is alive and continues to evolve Spelt

Planet Word’s home is in the Franklin School in our nation’s capital. Originally opened in 1869 and completely rehabilitated between 2018 and 2020, it was designed by renowned architect Adolf Cluss as the flagship of eight modern urban public school buildings in Washington, D.C. The building served as a model for the modern public school system based upon a comprehensive system of universal free public education … but originally only for white boys and girls as D.C. schools were segregated at that time.

More recently, in May 2022, the North American School Scrabble Championship was held live at Planet Word when Walden Giezentanner, a seventh grader, and sixth grader Nathaniel Campos both SPELT enough words correctly to be crowned champs.

Many thanks to @Serdar & @Kelley for sponsoring this challenging pointless prize; the adaptation to Wordle was brilliant and definitely warmed up the brain before the legs for the daily ride. And elite kudos to the other players who definitely ratcheted up this year’s competition w/ artistic & witty bent!

Indiana
    Participant

3/18 spelt – Cherry cyclists under Cheery blossoms – should I have spelt that differently? Maybe not!

Aaron bikes
    Participant

3/19/24

Thanks Kelley and Serdar for a great game.

Thanks to my awesome competitors for keeping it interesting and challenging.

The Dude ABIDEs.

And today, after 76 of 78 days, and 1003 miles, my bikes ABIDE. 😀

Nadine
    Participant

@Indiana you went! You go, Girl! 💪🏼🎊🚴🏼‍♂️🚴‍♀️🚴🏼🤩

Nadine
    Participant

@Aaron bikes nice idea. This is the first photo scavenger hunt where it’s possible to continue the game after FS is over. I hadn’t appreciated that before!

I think some people might do it actually…. I don’t play wordle but  I bet I could get a friend or 2 to help me put with the daily word. I wonder, could we do that here? Or maybe on Strava & all follow each other 🤔🤷🏻

Nadine
    Participant

3/19/24

Thanks @kbikeva & @Serdar for running the contest this year, & for responding kindly & helpfully to my disgruntled comment/s. The wordle thing made it quite a different contest from what it used to be – especially from what it was the first year when @drevil led it. I guess it took me awhile to learn how to play it this way.

I hope making it wordle based made it easier for you guys to manage the contest, and makes the wrap-up simple. I loved @drevil’s contest its first year, & I’m STILL finding purple houses and pink cars 😆 but I know it took Ricky a lot of time, both during and after the contest, & that he ended up getting a lotta help from @JoM that he hadn’t realized he’d need – and I’m thinking they were probably the first ones to applaud your attempts to simplify the game & make it more manageable to lead. And of course we ALL appreciate your efforts to make it more sustainable 🤩

cvcalhoun
    Participant

@nadine, sounds like a wonderful idea!  One of the issues I have is finding places to go outside of Freezing Saddles, since I want to bike every day all year, but it gets boring without a destination.  I’ve used the previous year’s scavenger hunt (back when there were specific objects to find) or the previous year’s bingo list, but that gets repetitive after a while.  I’d love to have something ongoing–and something with others playing, which tends to give me more motivation.  Shall I set up a thread for it?  Even if it were just the two of us playing, it would help–but I bet others would join.

As for not playing Wordle, I don’t either. But the answer can always be found at https://tryhardguides.com/wordle-answers/

I have to admit, @kbikeva & @Serdar, I was a tad annoyed when I saw that the photo-of-the-day would be illustrating the Wordle-of-the-day because I’d never played it. BUT I have to admit that the longer I played #photoscavhunt, the more I appreciated and enjoyed that you used it for the game this year. And as with previous years, I thoroughly enjoyed all the creative explanations folks come up with for their photo illustrating the day’s Wordle. The one downside is that now I’m hooked on Wordle!  Thanks so much for all your hard work and dedication, I truly appreciate it!

Nadine
    Participant

@cvcalhoun yes! And thanks for the wordle link. It’s so helpful how you seem to know how stuff works – or how to figure it out 😁

Ima hafta start on Tuesday though – at least by bike.

I’m going outta town tomorrow am through Monday night. It’s a HS reunion, but since they made it in Orlando, and everything about Orlando seems to be crazy pricey, and I’m not gainfully employed, I’m driving down & camping on the way, & again on the way back. That’s why I’ll be gone so long for a 2 day reunion. Not bringing the bike…. Walking & hiking will be good for my bone density anyhow, which probably suffers during FS.

I can see if I can get others interested in  playing too. And I could probably play some while I’m away without the bike if it helps you – this is no prize time, after all

Serdar
    Participant

Thank you for your kind words! I like the idea of continuing to play Wordle. How about posting photos on this thread? I will play but I will not ride every day.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

I’ve been riding most days (and have even noted the Wordle words on my Strava, although only after midnight to avoid spoilers), but figured I’d wait to post until @Nadine came back.

3/26/24 MAYOR

Rockville City Hall is where the mayor’s office is. I did try to explain to the one in the trailer (foster dog) that a) he is not the mayor, and thus not the boss of me, and b) he was brought from home and thus ineligible anyway. But he just barked at me.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

3/27/24 STUNG

I was thinking Bee America would be a good place for this one. But I was stung when I got there to discover that it had neither a sign in front of it nor any way to see the bees from the road.

Nadine
    Participant

😆 good luck with that @Cvcalhoun…. Pretty sure your foster dog knows thinks he is the boss of you…..

Nadine
    Participant

3/27/24 – stung

I picked up a too-good-to-go share from this local organic farm this afternoon in the (mostly) rain hole. It’s an indoor farm, so the farmers never hafta worry about getting STUNG.

Here’s an inside view of the same farm. I thought it would be cool to show you a bit of the inside of the place – but if you want me to keep it to one picture, Carol, lmk, and I won’t post 2 again. I have a better pic of the inside of this farm actually – on an earlier post in the game…

cvcalhoun
    Participant

3/28/24 SPEAK

A teacher speaks to students in front of the Lincoln Memorial.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,011 through 2,025 (of 2,102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.