Report your MVT wooden-bridge accident here. Date, location, circumstances.

Our Community Forums Crashes, Close Calls and Incidents Report your MVT wooden-bridge accident here. Date, location, circumstances.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    phog
    Participant

Yikes! I had to look up what the ulna is… “long bone found in the forearm that stretches from the elbow to the smallest finger”. Hope it’s OK!

Amelia
    Participant

@phog 195793 wrote:

Yikes! I had to look up what the ulna is… “long bone found in the forearm that stretches from the elbow to the smallest finger”. Hope it’s OK!

Thanks! Reading this thread in the ER sent me down the rabbit hole and I saw that the timeline for bridge replacement is 2022!! I saw another note that there are probably dozens of crashes there after rain. I’m lucky, could’ve been much worse. But what can we do, if anything, activism wise to move that process up? Anyone have NPS connections?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwarkentien
    Participant

So sorry this happened. This is a notorious spot. Heal well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunyata
    Participant

@Amelia 195792 wrote:

Just went down on the curve coming northbound this afternoon… probably fractured my ulna, hit my head (in a helmet thankfully), and bruised legs. Still waiting on my x-ray.

Two teenagers had just gone down before me apparently going south. They checked on me. Then a scooter user almost went down going south.

I’m annoyed. I had two miles left on my Arlington loop…

Oh no! Hopefully it is just a bruise and not a break. Heal quickly!

baiskeli
    Participant

@phog 195793 wrote:

I was going to make a joke, but I don’t think this is an appropriate time to be humerus.

Brett L.
    Participant

@baiskeli 195969 wrote:

I was going to make a joke, but I don’t think this is an appropriate time to be humerus.

At what point does a known dangerous situation that is not addressed become negligence? Whether it be bridges that are too slippery to ride on without breaking bones or intersections/roads that result in high rates of car/pedestrian collisions, at some point those responsible for rectifying a dangerous situation should be held accountable, no?

Emm
    Participant

It took me 7 years of regularly riding on the MVT wooden bridges, but I finally went down on one.

The final bridge just north of Mount Vernon got me Saturday morning. That bridge for those of you who don’t ride it often has a lip, AND requires a turn once you get on it. You also come at it from a slightly curvy downhill. I was heading south, and hit a slick spot from the recent rain and my bike slid out.

I can’t remember how I landed since I immediately jumped back up to evaluate my injuries (yay adrenaline, but this is a habit I need to fix in case I really do break something someday), but I do know my palms had bruises. I’m worried I put my hands out to brace myself, but I honestly can’t say for sure since it also could be from jerking forward into the hoods when I fell. Both of my knees are bruised, my elbow is torn up (only injury that broke through ALL the layers of skin), and my left shin is torn up. My right hip got it the worst though with a cantaloupe sized bruise and some road rash. Also lots of other random bruising on both my legs.

After falling I got off the trail to evaluate my injuries and my bike, only to watch 2 more cyclists go down on that exact same spot moments later.

My bike’s right brake level got shoved over on impact which was an easy fix, but it is now acting up (shifting fine, but when I brake it acts normal, and then suddenly pulls ALL the way in), so it may need to get to the shop to get looked at. Otherwise, my pretty new pink warbird survived without a scratch. I had an ortlieb on the side that went down which I think cushioned the blow a little.

On a positive note, no broken bones, and my garmin watch sent an SOS immediately to my boyfriend when it detected the fall, although he was really alerted due to me screaming for him (he was ahead of me) and not the text. I was able to finish the last 12 miles of the ride, and clean off after. PLUS my expensive new manicure survived the crash!

Bruisey fun:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21591[/ATTACH]
    That one is the size of a cantaloupe on my thigh/hip

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21592[/ATTACH]
    Elbow–only place I went through ALL the layers and had to bandage.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21593[/ATTACH]
    Knee. This one snuck up and arrived a day later.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21594[/ATTACH]
    Left shin. Didn’t go through all the layers of skin though luckily.

drevil
    Participant

@Emm 201968 wrote:

It took me 7 years of regularly riding on the MVT wooden bridges, but I finally went down on one.

The final bridge just north of Mount Vernon got me Saturday morning. That bridge for those of you who don’t ride it often has a lip, AND requires a turn once you get on it. You also come at it from a slightly curvy downhill. I was heading south, and hit a slick spot from the recent rain and my bike slid out.

I can’t remember how I landed since I immediately jumped back up to evaluate my injuries (yay adrenaline, but this is a habit I need to fix in case I really do break something someday), but I do know my palms had bruises. I’m worried I put my hands out to brace myself, but I honestly can’t say for sure since it also could be from jerking forward into the hoods when I fell. Both of my knees are bruised, my elbow is torn up (only injury that broke through ALL the layers of skin), and my left shin is torn up. My right hip got it the worst though with a cantaloupe sized bruise and some road rash. Also lots of other random bruising on both my legs.

After falling I got off the trail to evaluate my injuries and my bike, only to watch 2 more cyclists go down on that exact same spot moments later.

My bike’s right brake level got shoved over on impact which was an easy fix, but it is now acting up (shifting fine, but when I brake it acts normal, and then suddenly pulls ALL the way in), so it may need to get to the shop to get looked at. Otherwise, my pretty new pink warbird survived without a scratch. I had an ortlieb on the side that went down which I think cushioned the blow a little.

On a positive note, no broken bones, and my garmin watch sent an SOS immediately to my boyfriend when it detected the fall, although he was really alerted due to me screaming for him (he was ahead of me) and not the text. I was able to finish the last 12 miles of the ride, and clean off after. PLUS my expensive new manicure survived the crash!

That sucks. I’m glad you escaped without (relatively) serious damage, and that you have remained positive. Those wet wooden bridges are more treacherous than some of those rocky trails I mountain bike on! ;)

How did F escape going down? He shoulda warned you! :)

bikesnick
    Participant

@Emm 201968 wrote:

So sorry to read this, but glad you did not get hurt more. Heal quickly.

KWL
    Participant

Oof. Posting a “dislike” might give the wrong impression, as may my “like.” Whatever, I am glad you have just minor injuries.

Emm
    Participant

@drevil 201969 wrote:

That man hits a small curb, blows 2 tires and goes down hard, and yet somehow gets through actually treacherous conditions with no issue. I have no idea what magic he uses.

Starduster
    Participant

@drevil 201969 wrote:

That sucks. I’m glad you escaped without (relatively) serious damage, and that you have remained positive. Those wet wooden bridges are more treacherous than some of those rocky trails I mountain bike on! ;)

I ran the whole of the Mt. Vernon Trail Saturday for my #sizzlingsummercentury ride. While so many of us are (understandably) fixated on Trollheim by the T. R. Bridge, I wondered how all these other boardwalk-over-wetland sections would be in the wet. I think I know which area you’re referring to- just before Ft. Hunt, with steep and twisty sections between boardwalk.

#Emm, I am grateful for you that even the damage that showed up a day later wasn’t worse. Heal up.

Boardwalk that is *diabolical* when wet. Why should this be? If the Powers That Be say, “this cannot be fixed”, tell them they are *dead wrong*. It has been. Attached, my image of the causeway between Chincoteague and Assateague Island, VA. *Concrete* planks, cast to look like wood. Much better grip, period. [ATTACH=CONFIG]21595[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21596[/ATTACH]

NickBull
    Participant

@Brett L. 195974 wrote:

At what point does a known dangerous situation that is not addressed become negligence? Whether it be bridges that are too slippery to ride on without breaking bones or intersections/roads that result in high rates of car/pedestrian collisions, at some point those responsible for rectifying a dangerous situation should be held accountable, no?

If there was some spot that had as many car accidents with people injured as the various wooden bridges, the Park Service would fix it. But since we are just piece-of-s!*t bicyclists they don’t give a … On the plus side, at least they’re not actively killing us.

chris_s
    Participant

@NickBull 225977 wrote:

If there was some spot that had as many car accidents with people injured as the various wooden bridges, the Park Service would fix it.

Counterpoint: https://www.arlnow.com/2022/10/04/cars-keep-crashing-and-flipping-in-the-usual-spot-on-the-gw-parkway-in-arlington/

consularrider
    Participant

@chris_s 225983 wrote:

Counterpoint: https://www.arlnow.com/2022/10/04/cars-keep-crashing-and-flipping-in-the-usual-spot-on-the-gw-parkway-in-arlington/

In my uninformed opinion, speeding on wet roads is a contributing factor to 100% of the cashes there.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.