Post pics of your bike thread

Our Community Forums Pictures & Videos Post pics of your bike thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1,066 through 1,080 (of 1,101 total)
  • Author
    Boomer Cycles
    Participant

Here’s my latest N+1, a Bike Friday Pocket Companion, being modeled by the QOM @SarahBee [emoji219]. I found it on Craigslist for $300, and it was suffering from flat tire Juju until I installed new tires and squirted Slime all over it.b6e05702255061daa4b73318e8d050a8.jpg22ea6f7d5905bc4331478f0be5ecd7bf.jpg6ffba93f322cd05521a91ca7b6c7b38e.jpg7e2b6fba5e5d73a815bcae8e3193b658.jpg

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

trailrunner
    Participant

@ginacico 184228 wrote:

Co-Mo shmo-mo, Santa brought me THIS gem. Complete with a matching red (also previously used) bow, some new drivetrain parts, and decent knobby tires. I’ve verified that it will navigate dirt and gravel (though I discovered I’m afraid of big roots).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18684[/ATTACH]

What kind of fork is on that bike? A Mag21?

I have two 1990s steel mountain bikes that I’m keeping up. One is a beater commuter. The other one was a nice Stumpjumper that came with a Mag21, which I replaced with a rigid fork and is now a nice, light bike for local paths.

drevil
    Participant

@trailrunner 184762 wrote:

What kind of fork is on that bike? A Mag21?

I have two 1990s steel mountain bikes that I’m keeping up. One is a beater commuter. The other one was a nice Stumpjumper that came with a Mag21, which I replaced with a rigid fork and is now a nice, light bike for local paths.

Ha! I was playing the “guess the parts” game also. I was thinking the fork is a Rock Shox Mag 21 also, but possibly a 20, but hard to tell from pic. As for the frame, I was thinking early 90s Trek (OCLV?) or same era Marin because of the three main tubes/lugs colorway. Ano blue 135mm stem? Earlyish 90s fo sho :)

Any guesses for the cranks? Ritchey? Most likely Shimano drivetrain cuz they were the king back then.

Gina, spill the beans :)

trailrunner
    Participant

@drevil 184766 wrote:

Ha! I was playing the “guess the parts” game also. I was thinking the fork is a Rock Shox Mag 21 also, but possibly a 20, but hard to tell from pic. As for the frame, I was thinking early 90s Trek (OCLV?) or same era Marin because of the three main tubes/lugs colorway. Ano blue 135mm stem? Earlyish 90s fo sho :)

Any guesses for the cranks? Ritchey? Most likely Shimano drivetrain cuz they were the king back then.

It’s a Trek (pretty sure), but not an OCLV. Marin might’ve made a bike like this, but I wasn’t familiar with that brand. If I remember my 90s properly, the OCLV was the first all-carbon frame (OCLV=optimum carbon, low void). Her bike came before OCLV and was an early approach to making a carbon bike, using simple carbon tubes bonded to lugs. I remember being in a race and seeing a guy was carrying his de-bonded frame back to the start.

It’s pre 1995 or so since it doesn’t have V-brakes. I bought my steel Stumpjumper in December 1995 and then next year they came out with V-brakes. I took my frame to Papillion and they brazed some new cable stops for me to convert to V-brakes.

I’m pretty sure that’s a Mag fork of some vintage because the Judys were generally yellow. I overhauled my Mag fork once, although I had to take one of the legs to Metropolis to get it unstuck from the upper. I think my Mag21 had one inch of travel, and I thought that was great!

Can’t tell about the cranks, but I don’t think they are Shimano. I could be wrong though. SunTour was still alive in the very early 90s. Ritchey is a good guess.

ginacico
    Participant

@drevil 184766 wrote:

Ha! Totally would if I knew anything, but this bike has been a mystery since it was bought in the early 90s. No labels, parts may or may not have been swapped. Even its past is Shady :D

Def Rockshox mag something.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18745[/ATTACH]

Also definitely steel. The handlebars are original and were a deep purple, now very faded on top.

Cranks are Shimano.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18747[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]18746[/ATTACH]

drevil
    Participant

@trailrunner 184773 wrote:

It’s a Trek (pretty sure), but not an OCLV. Marin might’ve made a bike like this, but I wasn’t familiar with that brand. If I remember my 90s properly, the OCLV was the first all-carbon frame (OCLV=optimum carbon, low void). Her bike came before OCLV and was an early approach to making a carbon bike, using simple carbon tubes bonded to lugs. I remember being in a race and seeing a guy was carrying his de-bonded frame back to the start.

It’s pre 1995 or so since it doesn’t have V-brakes. I bought my steel Stumpjumper in December 1995 and then next year they came out with V-brakes. I took my frame to Papillion and they brazed some new cable stops for me to convert to V-brakes.

I’m pretty sure that’s a Mag fork of some vintage because the Judys were generally yellow. I overhauled my Mag fork once, although I had to take one of the legs to Metropolis to get it unstuck from the upper. I think my Mag21 had one inch of travel, and I thought that was great!

Can’t tell about the cranks, but I don’t think they are Shimano. I could be wrong though. SunTour was still alive in the very early 90s. Ritchey is a good guess.

Yes! Another 90s mountain bike nerd ;)

OCLV = Optimum Compaction Low Void. As far as I can tell, the first OCLV Trek was the 9800 in ’93: http://www.vintage-trek.com/images/trek/93/Trek93.pdf, but after seeing it in the catalog, it’s definitely not that. Then I was leaning toward the 8300, but the rear brake cable stop and top tube routing is different from Gina’s.

After doing a bit of Googling, I’m pretty sure it’s a 1993 Marin Pine Mountain, Eldridge Grade, whatevs. Definitely a Marin from that era:
    http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/12573-2/1993.pdf

I still have my ’94 Fat City Yo Eddy Team Fat Chance, partially built and sad in my basement. It only comes out for the occasional retro MTB ride :) Oh yeah, I worked at Metropolis in the mid-mid 90s so there’s a tiny chance we might’ve talked.

ginacico
    Participant

@trailrunner 184773 wrote:

I overhauled my Mag fork once, although I had to take one of the legs to Metropolis to get it unstuck from the upper.

We need to do that actually, one side of the fork is completely shot. I think you can get a kit with the innards for about $50? A shop wanted $100 to do the overhaul, but we’ll (at least try to) do it ourselves.

This is a beater bike, given to me to play with for sh!#s and grins. It’s about par with my MTB skills.

josh
    Participant

Have you not cut your hair since that photo, drevil?

trailrunner
    Participant

@ginacico 184786 wrote:

We need to do that actually, one side of the fork is completely shot. I think you can get a kit with the innards for about $50? A shop wanted $100 to do the overhaul, but we’ll (at least try to) do it ourselves.

This is a beater bike, given to me to play with for sh!#s and grins. It’s about par with my MTB skills.

Overhauling it was pretty easy, except for my stuck leg. There was some tool or mount at Metropolis that they used to get it off. I had struggled with it for a long time, but using that tool took about 30 seconds.

Personally, I’d replace the fork with a cheap rigid fork, like I did with my bike. Or fill the air chamber with Elmer’s glue.

trailrunner
    Participant

@ginacico 184781 wrote:

Cranks are Shimano.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18747[/ATTACH]

Biopace!

drevil
    Participant

@trailrunner 184818 wrote:

Biopace!

Biopace is the new Absolute Black :)

trailrunner
    Participant

@drevil 184785 wrote:

Yes! Another 90s mountain bike nerd ;)

OCLV = Optimum Compaction Low Void. As far as I can tell, the first OCLV Trek was the 9800 in ’93: http://www.vintage-trek.com/images/trek/93/Trek93.pdf, but after seeing it in the catalog, it’s definitely not that. Then I was leaning toward the 8300, but the rear brake cable stop and top tube routing is different from Gina’s.

Ah yes, compaction, not carbon. I think they had some sort of bladder system to push out the air bubbles, or something like that.

@drevil 184785 wrote:

I still have my ’94 Fat City Yo Eddy Team Fat Chance, partially built and sad in my basement. It only comes out for the occasional retro MTB ride Oh yeah, I worked at Metropolis in the mid-mid 90s so there’s a tiny chance we might’ve talked.[/quote]

I had the same jersey that you have on in the photo (except I’m not sure about the “Quest”). Here I am at the watershed in that jersey, April 1996:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18755[/ATTACH]

I also had the Judy jersey in this photo:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bikecentric/310873388/in/photostream/

This was at the end of the Seagull century, 1997:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18756[/ATTACH]

Metropolis was a great store. I remember Fred showing me how to remove and replace a headset. He let me in the basement and let me hang out with him.

I also noticed this photo:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bikecentric/310871123/in/photostream/

I remember when Whitetail opened up for mountain biking around that time and I remember riding there. I was still riding my first mountain bike, which did not have any suspension at all. My forearms would be toast by the time I got to the bottom. I think I only rode there a couple of times.

ginacico
    Participant

@trailrunner 184817 wrote:

Personally, I’d replace the fork with a cheap rigid fork, like I did with my bike. Or fill the air chamber with Elmer’s glue.

Yeah, except part of the point was I’ve never had a suspension bike and am curious. We just need to get its squish back.

@trailrunner 184818 wrote:

Biopace!

Right?!?! I don’t feel the mechanical difference much, but there’s this notable sound of “whoom whoom”. And… toe clips. This bike makes me giddy.

Any tips where to take Shady to ride and not be miserable? I’m hesitant on anything remotely technical.

trailrunner
    Participant

@ginacico 184828 wrote:

Any tips where to take Shady to ride and not be miserable? I’m hesitant on anything remotely technical.

That would be a good bike for Laurel Hills. I think the trails there flow well, and they are not technical (IMO). Here’s a photo I took there one winter:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18757[/ATTACH]

Steve O
    Participant

@trailrunner 184829 wrote:

That would be a good bike for Laurel Hills. I think the trails there flow well, and they are not technical (IMO). Here’s a photo I took there one winter:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18757[/ATTACH]

Not technical? Looks like your bike fell over.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,066 through 1,080 (of 1,101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.