Pointless prize: Fire bad!

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Pointless prize: Fire bad!

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 615 total)
  • Author
    bigredboiler
    Participant

3-16 South Metro (Denver) #40

Plenty of snow to go around

LhasaCM
    Participant

3/17/2024 – Cherrydale Volunteer Fire Department (in Arlington)

I’ll need to double check, but I think with this, I’ve now visited all of the current/active “municipal” fire stations within the original Washington DC boundary.  This includes all of DC Fire and EMS, Arlington (including the separate Cherrydale VFD location), and the 6 Alexandria stations within the diamond.  I did not attempt to get terrible/distant photos of the fire stations on Fort Myer, JBAB, or at DCA (for example).

DCAKen
    Participant

3/17/24 Arlington County Fire Station 5

CaseyKane50
    Participant

3/17/2024 Fire Norfolk Fire Station #2

CBGanimal
    Participant

3/17/24 Fire – Norfolk FS 2

bigredboiler
    Participant

3-17 West Douglas Co #4 (Colorado)

Nothing special. Wide-angle to at least get a red door

LhasaCM
    Participant

3/18/2024 – The former home of Arlington County Fire Station #7 (Fairlington)

When I randomly rode by this yesterday, I thought it looked like a fire station, but the signage is for a STEM school of sorts.  Lo and behold, when I was checking my list of what’s inside the diamond, I noticed that Arlington’s list skips #7.  A quick Google search later, and sure enough, this building was #7.  So that meant going back again today for a picture.

The station closed a few years ago because it apparently was structural unsound as a fire station (the sleeping quarters were below the garage, and as equipment got heavier, there was concerns about safety).  The building at least was (eventually) repurposed.

bikingjenn
    Participant

3/18/24-Happy to happen by FS 6 in DC today!!! 

AlanA
    Participant

@lhasacm – Thank you for all your profound knowledge regarding the FD.  Just curious, how do you know all this stuff?  You may have posted it early on, but I don’t recall seeing anything.
    You’ve also secured at least a tie for first.   Just curious – do you drink booze or beer?  lol, not that it may have anything to do with your prize.  Just checking.

To the rest of you:

I’ll be posting something shortly about the top 3.  I want to make sure everyone has had a chance to upload rides.

LhasaCM
    Participant

@AlanA – Prior to this year’s Freezing Saddles I knew very little about fire departments, other than there were a couple near my home.  Heck – I didn’t even know about the 3rd one near City-State (which also means near home) until I printed a map of DC’s locations.  Suffice to say, it’s amazing what you can find on the internet!  And I think my wife would prefer I answer “booze”

But the real prize has been the miles ridden along the way, right?  (After all – that’s what Freezing Saddles is all about – having fun, and pushing yourself to do more than you thought you could.  And Good Lord did this take over my life…)

CBGanimal
    Participant

3/18/24 Fire – Norfolk Fire Station No 7

CBGanimal
    Participant

So… like LhasaCM I have enjoyed looking for Fire Stations.  It made me go to areas I never thought I’d venture to and I felt lucky to have traveled out of the area to find interesting places to ride to just to get the “station”.  I’m more impressed with LhasaCMs vigil to find all the stations in DC and then Arlington!!

AlanA
    Participant

@CBGanimal – Nice job.  It’s amusing that the top two were named Chris.
    I’m glad I provided you some entertainment.  Sometime those rural FD’s are off the beaten path.

I’ll also ask the same random question about the beer or booze.  Again, not that it has anything to do with the prize.
    Do you drink booze or beer?

CaseyKane50
    Participant

3/18/2024 Norfolk Fire Station #7

Fire 

CaseyKane50
    Participant

Alan, thanks for the fun game! Chasing down fire stations extended many of my rides and had me going to parts of the area that I had never ridden before. Always fun to find new and interesting things. Road trips always included finding fire stations.

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 615 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.