Pizzaneuring

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    lordofthemark
    Participant

@arlcxrider 226616 wrote:

Every Pointless Prize seems to descend into legalistic hairsplitting about “the rules.” Like what constitutes “public art.”

As much fun as 50 pages of talmudic debate on what constitutes “pizza” would be, I don’t think I have the bandwidth for it this year. I expect to use menu descriptions and/or yelp, in cases of uncertainty. But certainly side chatter on what is or is not pizza is welcome.

arlcxrider
    Participant

@cvcalhoun 226617 wrote:

Yeah, and ultimately it is in the judgment of whoever sponsors the prize–no one else’s opinion matters. And the sponsor can even make determinations after the fact. Given that every person who sponsors a prize is a volunteer and pays the cost of the prize from their own funds, I am not about to question how they run their competition–not even in one instance in which a determination was made after the fact to disregard one of my entries.

Indeed, that’s the Prime Directive. Decisions of the prize sponsor are final. :)

LhasaCM
    Participant

After Alexandria’s formal declaration of war on DC this morning, the unlikely to apply tiebreaker for this pointless prize is taking on much more meaning…

lordofthemark
    Participant

@LhasaCM 226648 wrote:

After Alexandria’s formal declaration of war on DC this morning, the unlikely to apply tiebreaker for this pointless prize is taking on much more meaning…

Oh dear. Pizza starting to get salty?

I will take this input into account and modify the rules

In the event of a tie in the GLOBAL competition the winner will be based on the following – the sum of pizza places in Alexandria City (because the original meme), pizza places in Brooklyn (because I can) and pizza places in Baltimore City, within 1 mile (by bike, as per Google Maps) from the location where the Baltimore Bullets used to play. (I am pretty sure I remember the location, but will check before Jan 1) Plus as noted above, rides to pizza places that ALSO involve going to a meadery in Hyattsville (any meadery in Hyattsville) That should be easy to remember, right?

Edit. The old Baltimore Civic Center is at Howard and Lombard. Amazingly it’s still there. Its about as old as I am, and it’s on its fifth name. Wow. (There appear to be a few pizza places nearby, but it doesn’t quite match the pizza density of Del Ray)

(FYI, for those not following the Alexandria discourse, the City appears divided between A. “sports team subsidies are generally bad, but lets look at the spreadsheets and see what this does for us” vs B. “OMG, this will destroy the City, crime, traffic, its another conspiracy by the evil density loving Mayor to force us out of cars” And I, as BPAC chair, am going to mostly focus on “What can we get out of this in terms of bike/ped infra.” As a citizen beyond that, I will be “this only makes sense if WMATA is actually functioning, so the Commonwealth had better step up to the plate on funding”)

LhasaCM
    Participant

Thank you for taking my tongue-in-cheek complaint seriously and updating your rules accordingly. Which you have absolutely zero obligation to do because, as has always been the case, the rules for a pointless prize are entirely up to the prize sponsor.

But while you’re taking feedback…would you give consideration to this extremely unlikely tiebreaker to also including any and all pizza places within a mile of the original home of the Capitals in Landover? (There’s one!) :)

lordofthemark
    Participant

@LhasaCM 226676 wrote:

But while you’re taking feedback…would you give consideration to this extremely unlikely tiebreaker to also including any and all pizza places within a mile of the original home of the Capitals in Landover? (There’s one!) :)

Hmm, a suburban location that STOLE an inner city team? I will have to think about that ;)

(and just so you know, Alexandria online discourse was absolutely exhausting yesterday, “a spiral of unhingedness”)

Kbikeva
    Participant

I love pizza. Pretty much any kind of pizza. This could be very dangerous for me to try to win, but to keep my tires in for motivation, I can do this! No chance of me winning given my distance from any of those garden spots referenced, but if it gets me to a) ride my 10 miles per day for my team and b) discover as yet undiscovered pizza places, it’s a WIN.

And for cvcalhoun, the only time I seriously, vehemently, and vociferously dis those from MD is when they’re trying to kill me in their cars as they try to drive around the Reston area. I have yet to experience a person on a bike from MD who has treated me in a similar fashion. :-)

LhasaCM
    Participant

@lordofthemark 226682 wrote:

(and just so you know, Alexandria online discourse was absolutely exhausting yesterday, “a spiral of unhingedness”)

Have people been pointing out how JBG Smiths’ renderings obliterate the bike lanes on Potomac Ave? They’ve rendered a double-wide parking lane. Unforgivable!

chill-dad
    Participant

I have four kids who love pizza almost as much as I do and insist we pick it up by cargo bike every week, all year.

Taking the whole crew inside to eat is, um, a bad idea.

pkuelbs
    Participant

Yumm! Detroit-style pizza in the DMV! Might have trouble consuming pizza on the premises here tho. Lol

pkuelbs
    Participant

@CaseyKane50 226479 wrote:

Great idea. Here is a relative new one in Alexandria for folks to try.

23604ddfcfda75b7e4ab6825d6b25bb1.jpg

I’ve been needing an excuse to try this place! Any indoor seating or is it just takeout?

Boomer Cycles
    Participant

@Judd 226614 wrote:

This might be the pointless prize I play this year seeing as I am in ground zero of the Alexandria pizza boom.

We may need adjudication on who lives closer to pizzaneuring ground zero between Judd and I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lordofthemark
    Participant

@LhasaCM 226699 wrote:

Have people been pointing out how JBG Smiths’ renderings obliterate the bike lanes on Potomac Ave? They’ve rendered a double-wide parking lane. Unforgivable!

Potomac Avenue was always going to be rebuilt with development – the attorney for the developer said in the past “it depends on the nature of the development” (back when they were looking for approvals for the VTech campus” For the Arena project, we don’t have a traffic study yet, AFAIK, let alone a tranportation plan. Rest assured some folks with concerns for bikes are formulating “asks”

CaseyKane50
    Participant

@pkuelbs 226755 wrote:

I’ve been needing an excuse to try this place! Any indoor seating or is it just takeout?

Sorry for the tardy response. Unlike Judd and Boomer, I do not live at Pizza Ground Zero. I had to add miles to check on the service at Jet’s. It is takeout or delivery only.

c5a8a4c93f095ca43beb9c1736a0e50c.jpg

consularrider
    Participant

#pizza – 01/05/2024 – A slice of cheese Sicilian at the Italian Store in Westover.  I struck out on Thursday in Del Ray, two shops not open at noon, one permanently closed.  Settled for a quiche Lorraine at Gustave’s on Mt Vernon at Del Ray

Westover Italian Store

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.