pit stop tasting notes

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    dkel
    Participant

I was there, and thought it was bonkers. Now, days later, I saw the pic above and literally laughed out loud: it’s a veritable sea of cones! Visually, it’s really difficult to discern what is happening, and I’m now recalling that’s the problem I had as I was approaching–even slowly. Sheesh!

mstone
    Participant

@Terpfan 116260 wrote:

After seeing the photo, wow, what a dick. I would have thrown his cones off the trail and happily taken whatever nonsense ticket he would write.

Yup, this isn’t just whining, it really was a ridiculous and stupendously stupid move. There were actually two groups of cones like that, the picture shows only one of them. As I wrote above, can you imagine him making an obstacle course like that for cars? (Well, the cars would just run over them, but that’s not the point.)

americancyclo
    Participant

I received the following email in response to my communication with NVRPA.

I am in receipt of your email to the WO&D Trail Director & Park Manager Karl Mohle regarding the placement of cones on the WO&D Trail for Bike to Work Day on Wednesday, May 15.
    (image)
    As you stated in your email the Falls Church Police Department did put cones on the trail near the stop sign regulating the intersection of the WO&D Trail @ Grove Ave (on May 15) as a means of slowing down the cyclist traffic flow through the small celebratory stop designated on Bike to Work day. The cones were put there as a measure of warning and to slow cyclists from speeding through the stop sign and through the pathway (Grove Ave) where a number of City workers, tents, supporters, news reporters, stopped cyclists and community members had gathered. The method in which the cones where laid out was changed as the day evolved but the intention was to slow the cyclists because as you can imagine, commuters (in a car or bike) can hyper-focus on time and efficient of a crossing and not expect a community supporter and/or other cyclist to suddenly stop or walk out in front of them mistakenly.

As an avid trail Runner/Cyclist I support the Bike to Work Day events and community support. As a Chief of Police I also error on the side of safety and caution when it comes to trail safety, the safety of all the surrounding supporters at that festive stop outweighed the inconvenience of slowing a commuting cyclist on that specific day at that specific time.

May 15 was a day of celebratory expression and fun for the WO&D Trail, the Park Authority, the Friends of the WO&D and the City workers who support ~You~ as a smart commuter. The WO&D is the crown jewel of our Regional Parks and the Little City. We behold the WO&D Trail, its creators, supporters and workers as one of the City’s greatest assets and the backbones for our day to day commuters on foot and cycle. The slowing down of the cyclist traffic was intentional to avoid a collision and injury. Again the layout of the cones was intentional yet the formation did changed to accommodate the goal of calming speed and ensuring safety.

I welcome your comments and I hope you always feel free to communicate your needs as a commuter of the trail. I meet regularly with advocates for the trail and we discuss safety each and every time, I welcome all and each comment.

Thank you for your time.

Mary Gavin
    Chief of Police
    City of Falls Church Police Department
    300 Park Ave
    Falls Church, VA 22046
    [URL=”tel:703%20248%205069″]703 248 5069[/URL]

dkel
    Participant

This response seems to miss the point of the complaint entirely: the decision to deploy cones to slow traffic was not the problem; the way that those cones forced two-way traffic into a confusing single-lane, head-on interaction is the problem. I’m stunned!

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

You’re stunned that a bureaucrat would simply repeat her agency’s original justification of its actions in response to public complaints about those actions?

I’m stunned that you’re stunned.

Steve O
    Participant

The City “beholds” the W&OD so much that the Chief of Police does not even know what it is called.

Perhaps some best practices could be shared. I believe 78 other pit stops somehow managed to safely organize the flow of cyclists to, from and through. Maybe Falls Church could learn from them how they did it.

rcannon100
    Participant

We should probably start a new thread – and let DBB craft this – but I believe we should start something along the lines of the “Orange Cone’ award for truly moronic transportation behavior. Or better yet, it can be like the stanely cup, where the names of the winners continue to be added to the sacred cone. Could be a grand competition.

We could even make a golden sproket award for ELITE behavior.

I’m stunned that you’re stunned that he is stunned!

dkel
    Participant

@ShawnoftheDread 116604 wrote:

You’re stunned that a bureaucrat would simply repeat her agency’s original justification of its actions in response to public complaints about those actions?

I’m stunned they thought I wouldn’t see through it.

americancyclo
    Participant

@rcannon100 116607 wrote:

We should probably start a new thread

this seems like a good one!

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?1308-W-amp-OD-in-Falls-Church-Chock-full-of-coney-goodness

chris_s
    Participant

For those trying to decide which pit stops to hit in 2016, I present this thread of “tasting notes” about pit stops in 2015.

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@chris_s 139625 wrote:

For those trying to decide which pit stops to hit in 2016, I present this thread of “tasting notes” about pit stops in 2015.

A few highlights of Arlington stops:

Rosslyn has District Taco, a smile booth, giant connect-4, and a congressman.

Ballston has Giant Jenga and tic-tac-toe, and probably some of the best prizes

Shirlington has the smoothie bike, Best Buns, and inflatable bowling.

Columbia Pike has both Sugar Shack and Acme Pie.

Then there are the two afternoon spots at Heavy Seas (where you can win a couple bikes for free) and the Shirlingotn New District stop where we’re giving away pint glasses.

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

Is DT worth dealing with a congressman? Especially one who’s a car peddler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@ShawnoftheDread 139659 wrote:

Is DT worth dealing with a congressman? Especially one who’s a car peddler?

Beyer has actually been quite helpful when it comes to congressional bicycle matters.

Also, DCVelo is sponsored by Beyer: http://www.dcvelo.com/

huskerdont
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 139662 wrote:

Beyer has actually been quite helpful when it comes to congressional bicycle matters.

Also, DCVelo is sponsored by Beyer: http://www.dcvelo.com/

Also, as car peddlers go, they’re much less dicky than, say, Browns or Page. At least in my experience at the Subaru dealer.

Might mean nothing, but I tend to think that the dealership would reflect the owner. Also, he’s pretty much behind fighting climate change.

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

So you’re both saying that District Taco will not be worth the gaseous emissions of a congressman?

Or am I reading that wrong?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.