pit stop tasting notes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    mstone
    Participant

Fair Lakes: they were still setting up, and in front of Noodles & Co instead of where they were supposed to be. (Presumably because the short lived supermarket went out of business since BTWD planning started.)

Government Center: Good sized showing. REI folks were there with REI swag. Fairfax bike maps, other assorted treats at other tables. I snagged a blinky for my daughter. Small FABB presence. Getting to it makes you remember how exurban Fairfax is. I managed to get lost on the way out.

Running behind at this point, so I skipped Vienna. Didn’t feel like going that far down 123 or circling back on the W&OD.

Merrifield: good sized showing. The HOT lane people were there again, which I still don’t get. Chinese food, some gel packs, etc. Their tables should have been back a few more feet from the trail, it was a bit of a mess.

Falls Church: terrifying. There were some kind of bells or cymbals that I heard from quite a way off, and tried to figure out what part of my bike was making that really weird sound. Thought my spokes were exploding. Then heard the vuvuzelas. There were a lot of people having a good time, but honestly the traffic cones in the middle of the trail were dangerous. Strong Bikenetic contingent. Croweded enough that I didn’t actually stop. Also in a hurry to get to…

Ballston: as usual, the high point of BTWD. Much swag including drawing, bananas, bagels, good number of tables from random places, including an odd fruit gel gum drop tasting. DJ. Many many odd people and odd bikes. Much fun, and lots of space. Except for a few people committing the faux pas of actually riding their bike through the BTWD crowd. Like, really?

baiskeli
    Participant

@mstone 115900 wrote:

Ballston: as usual, the high point of BTWD. Much swag including drawing, bananas, bagels, good number of tables from random places, including an odd fruit gel gum drop tasting. DJ. Many many odd people and odd bikes. Much fun, and lots of space. Except for a few people committing the faux pas of actually riding their bike through the BTWD crowd. Like, really?

I started at Ballston so I’ll continue from there. The fruit drops were good – not too sweet (no added sugar). I grabbed their card – they come from thefitdecision.com. There was a lady in a sort of knight/viking costume riding a horse/unicycle. There was a DJ with pink hair. There was Tim Kelley.

Rosslyn: DBB and Steve O giving out t-shirts. REI fixing bikes. More free water bottles and bananas and bagels and coffee. Don Beyer, car dealer, was there on a bike.

Freedom Plaza: Ran into a newbie commuter! You can tell them from their brand new clean bikes. AAA was there pretending to like bikes. The sun came out. Politicians made speeches. Someone won a bike in the raffle – one digit off from my ticket. More free water bottles!

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

EFC (where I was registered), didn’t get set up until 7am, so that put me behind in my tour, but I caught up with Dismal there and we hit Ballston and Shirlington, where I won a BikeArlington jersey!

Dickie
    Participant

Rosslyn at 6:15 for Java shack coffee and some friendly faces, then Crystal city… not much going on.. grabbed a granola bar. The big win… Shirlington! Best Buns giving free pastries… and the good ones… got a Bacon Cheddar Scone and a Lemon/blueberry muffin + Phoenix had good swag as well… amazeballs! Ballston next for a bagel, some swag and a great contingent of the forum gang. EFC for a free U-Lock, Falls Church for half a donut but perhaps the most fun of all…. what a awesome bunch of folks! This is why Jan runs the best shop in town… GREAT people! Mosaic last for some headphones and a Starbucks gift card…. 24 miles, 7 stops and tons of fun!

Raymo853
    Participant

My memory total failed me and I ended up failing to find the one on M and the Coast Guard one. The time I wasted then got me to my one on Suitland as they were closing.

Was still thrilled to see many more folks than usual en route and more bikes in the the Census than I have ever seen by a large margin. Usually there are 3-4 (2 of them being mine), today there were about 15.

bobco85
    Participant

Started at Shirlington where I was treated to Best Buns (they had multiple selections, but I had their delicious cheddar bacon scone) and Copperwood Tavern (nice lemonade with the right amount of tang to it and mesquite seasoned popcorn which they serve at the restaurant instead of bread while you wait for your food).

Next stop was Penrose Square where the Acme Pie Co. cart was located. They had 5 different kinds of pies, I had 2 slices (one there and the other to-go) of the peach-blackberry, very nice :) I also grabbed an everything bagel.

My last stop was at Ballston where I had that gummy made of a combination of various dark blue/purple fruits (black currant, plum, and a bunch of others, tasted interesting but not bad).

@TwoWheelsDC 115906 wrote:

EFC (where I was registered), didn’t get set up until 7am, so that put me behind in my tour, but I caught up with Dismal there and we hit Ballston and Shirlington, where I won a BikeArlington jersey!

How did the jersey taste? (note: “like victory” is an acceptable answer)

dkel
    Participant

East Falls Church Metro: no swag unless you registered there. That was my best haul last year; this year was a waste of time.

Falls Church: got a massive cheer from Bikenetic! It was the highlight of my morning (possibly because I know all those guys). The cones in the trail were a bit of a hazard, but it did get people to slow down. I was surprised at how many people seemed stunned or afraid going through that noisy gauntlet, or didn’t react at all. Whatever. I registered for that stop, so I got a shirt, but that’s it! I suppose I could have taken a banana, but I had packed one from home, since they are going bad, and I did pay for them. Disappointing on the swag scale.

Merrifield: by 8:20, after I had gotten my kids to school, there was nothing left but chicken from the Panda Express station (which was the second best thing I got today :p). I probably could have gotten a water bottle, but it would have required giving over my contact information to something I’m not interested in (Gym membership? I ride a bike all the time to avoid that!).

Vienna: I rolled through without stopping, as the only “swag” to be had was coffee, and there wasn’t even any of that left.

Admittedly I was late getting to Merrifield and Vienna, but really: this was a disappointing outing! I put extra panniers on my bike to carry all the swag for my whole family as we rode out together, and I definitely didn’t need to use them. I really appreciated what Bikenetic was doing out there…that’s about all I can say. :(

mstone
    Participant

@Dickie 115911 wrote:

The big win… Shirlington! Best Buns giving free pastries… and the good ones… got a Bacon Cheddar Scone and a Lemon/blueberry muffin + Phoenix had good swag as well… amazeballs!

I totally would have gone down to shirlington had I known that.

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

The BA volunteer at Rosslyn was doing her best to enforce a one-ticket-per-day rule, rather than the time-honored one-per-stop. Seriously? It’s like she’s missing half the point of BTWD. Or at least a quarter of the point.

Phatboing
    Participant

@dkel 115918 wrote:

Falls Church: got a massive cheer from Bikenetic! It was the highlight of my morning (possibly because I know all those guys). The cones in the trail were a bit of a hazard, but it did get people to slow down. I was surprised at how many people seemed stunned or afraid going through that noisy gauntlet, or didn’t react at all. Whatever. I registered for that stop, so I got a shirt, but that’s it! I suppose I could have taken a banana, but I had packed one from home, since they are going bad, and I did pay for them. Disappointing on the swag scale.

That was awesome! So awesome that my brain went “I must roll through this like a celebrity!”.

Then I heard KayakCyndi complaining about my not stopping, and my brain went “oh yeah, I shoulda stopped. BUT YOU WERE CHEERING ME ON! Do the pros stop when cheered on by crazies with vuvuzelas? No. They revel in the attention, meet the quota of low-fives, and they soldier on. Stopping is just poor form.”

The Tysons pitstop was sad in terms of turnout, but we got us some lights, oranges, and granola bars, with plenty left over. There was also a really loud singer, singing into a really loud microphone attached to really loud speakers. Conversations were impossible, and we couldn’t hang out for more than a few.

dkel
    Participant

@Phatboing 115931 wrote:

There was also a really loud singer, singing into a really loud microphone attached to really loud speakers. Conversations were impossible, and we couldn’t hang out for more than a few.

What?

Emm
    Participant

Del Ray @6:30 AM had warm cookies from The Happy Tart–a gluten free bake shop that I ADORE (even though I can eat gluten). This was the best start of the day EVER, and the Velocity staff handed me a chain cleaning tool for wearing pink, so that was a total win. I had some coffee and powerade too and snagged a water bottle.

Crystal City: Not much going on. Confirmation that I got a sweet crystal city jersey. I had a bagel and more coffee, and got my t-shirt. Met KWL, who I creeped up behind on Crystal Drive for the 2nd day this week (so I finally said hello vs being a total creeper).

Columbia Island: total fail.

Rosslyn: Nice and busy. Had more coffee and some kind bars and a banana. I skipped the bagels, which I regret a little right now since I’m hungry again. Got quietly handed a women’s sleeveless jersey from the Diabetes Ride person. A little big, but I desperately need a sleeveless jersey this was a serious win. They also had the car free diet t-shirts in a size S this year, so that was a win since I really like the design. Also got some sweet bike arlington socks, and ~4 more water bottles, and a t-shirt for my fiance from Potomac Peddlers. And more coffee.

Freedom Plaza: more water bottles, random AAA light up stuff, snagged a a t-shirt for my fiance. And had more coffee. Person who won the bike was 2 raffle tickets after me, so I was sad :(

At work now, with more coffee thanks to my coworker. I’m almost shaking from the caffeine, I feel AWESOME.

And I now have 8 water bottles (which I’m slowly giving away at the office).

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

@bobco85 115916 wrote:

How did the jersey taste? (note: “like victory” is an acceptable answer)

Like pure gold…the color of my winning ticket.

MattAune
    Participant

@mstone 115900 wrote:

There were a lot of people having a good time, but honestly the traffic cones in the middle of the trail were dangerous.

Dread and I almost got in a fight with Officer Friendly from the falls church police department. Phil from bikentic moved the cones every time the office walked away. Hopefully there wasn’t a wreck there.

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

Nah, I just piled on after you almost got in a fight and told him that it will be on him when there’s an accident.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.