pit stop tasting notes

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Rockford10
    Participant

DKel has already mentioned most of the stops, but:

We also got a lecture from Officer Friendly, um.
    I was promised U-Locks at EFC!! We’ve got some new bikes in the family that need locks!! #greedy
    I received NO water bottles this year.

The Tysons stop was OK. I hit that close to 9:00 when the singer was wrapping up. They did have a photo booth, so I got a photo strip of my-bike-and-me. A little odd, but nice.

dkel
    Participant

I’m feeling massively gypped right now.

(No offense to any gypsies out there. 😮 )

baiskeli
    Participant

@TwoWheelsDC 115906 wrote:

EFC (where I was registered), didn’t get set up until 7am, so that put me behind in my tour, but I caught up with Dismal there and we hit Ballston and Shirlington, where I won a BikeArlington jersey!

Are you going to post the pic you took of me behind your back?

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

@baiskeli 115958 wrote:

Are you going to post the pic you took of me behind your back?

Was actually shooting forward:

ac8ca862e006fb3c869340d61dc1e8d7.jpg

dkel
    Participant

@MattAune 115942 wrote:

Dread and I almost got in a fight with Officer Friendly from the falls church police department. Phil from bikentic moved the cones every time the office walked away. Hopefully there wasn’t a wreck there.

Having to swerve in order to get through a very narrow opening with constant two-way traffic is just bonkers. Half the people passing through veered around one side or the other just to avoid it (which was the safest thing to do).

hozn
    Participant

@dkel 115957 wrote:

I’m feeling massively gypped right now.

(No offense to any gypsies out there. 😮 )

They would probably take bigger offense to being called gypsies in the first place! :)

Coincidentally, there was a woman that joined Kevin’s 6am caravan (the only non-acquaintance-of-Kevin’s) from Romania. I do not think she was Roma (Romani? I give up.), though. :)

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@ShawnoftheDread 115928 wrote:

The BA volunteer at Rosslyn was doing her best to enforce a one-ticket-per-day rule, rather than the time-honored one-per-stop. Seriously? It’s like she’s missing half the point of BTWD. Or at least a quarter of the point.

Did you have a super greedy look in your eyes? :p

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8610[/ATTACH]

We’re fine with folks taking from multiple stops, just as long as everyone gets a chance. But we’ve had people go through the line several times in the past when they didn’t get a ticket color that they liked…

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 115974 wrote:

Did you have a super greedy look in your eyes? :p

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8610[/ATTACH]

We’re fine with folks taking from multiple stops, just as long as everyone gets a chance. But we’ve had people go through the line several times in the past when they didn’t get a ticket color that they liked…

That was hunger, Tim, not greed. You charmed-life guys wouldn’t understand.

CaseyKane50
    Participant

Carlyle had Oatmeal from Potbelly Sandwich Shop

Alexandria City Hall had donuts from Sugar Shack

Del Ray tasty lemon cookie from Happy Tart

Crystal City passed on the food, secured my jersey

Columbia Island nothing

Roselyn won a nice pair of BA sunglasses, no food

Shirlington a very good cup of cup and lemon blueberry muffin from Best Buns

But the best swag of all was the 2015 Arlington bike map I picked up at the Carlyle stop.

On my ride from Crystal City to Columbia Island Marina I encountered two riders on Cabi bikes stopped on Boundary Channel Drive. They were first time riders for Bike-to-Work day. I asked them if they could use some directional help. They replied that they were trying to get to Memorial Bridge. I gave them directions and started on my way. As I was riding away I realized that I had a map that would be of help to them. I stopped and gave them my new map and showed them the route to take. They were ecstatic to have gotten help and said I was a true “bike ambassador”.

DCLiz
    Participant

Eastern Market: Quite the line to check in. Had my bike evaluated by City Bikes, who diagnosed an out-of-true wheel – only costs around $12 at the shop to fix. Took advantage of their floor pump, which is SO. MUCH. EASIER. than mine to use. Delicious iced (and also hot) coffee from Peregrine – WIN! Another girl snagged the last Capital Bikeshare seat cover off the table just as I got there, which made me sad until later (keep reading!)

U.S. Capitol (not a pit stop): Grounds were closed … lots of cyclists trying to navigate on the street to get around it. A hearty THANK YOU to the car with Maryland (!!) plates that let me cross in front of him/her when I found myself in the wrong lane on Constitution trying to get into the Penn Avenue bike lanes. I signaled my desperation to get over, but wasn’t sure s/he would stop, but they gently honked to let me through.

Freedom Plaza: Missed out on the raffle (not sure where they were handing out tickets). But got jar openers from AAA (“Are you a member?” “No, I have Better World Club”) and a snazzy “I Love Farmers Market” bike bumper sticker from FreshFarms.

National Geographic: This has become my favorite downtown pit stop. #1 It’s National Geographic! That. Is. Awesome. #2 Last year’s deluge? No problem, we’ll just move inside our giant cafeteria. #3 Rolling raffles throughout the morning. One of these years I’m going to win a jersey. #4 Good swag! Got a nifty screen cleaner from TapIt Metro DC (which finally has an app!), added to my water bottle collection, and … got one of those bikeshare seat covers from GoDCGo!!! Also lots o’ fruit, fruit juices, and granola bars.

worktheweb
    Participant

Alexandria: I got there on the early shift. Misha’s coffee was delicious as were the Sugar Shack Donuts. Got some maps from LocalMotion’s setup and chatted with the reps from WABA.

Crystal City: Some more folks out, although less in the way of tables with info. Picked up a half banana and Corner Bakery Coffee (not quite as good as Misha’s, but still good) and got back on the trail.

Freedom Plaza: Lots of tables and people, more Corner Bakery coffee and bananas. Got my registered-for t-shirt as well as some other swag. Saw Jon from the forum, got to chat with Greg Billing of WABA, and talked with Congressman Earl Blumenauer. For the latter two, I talked about plowing the MVT. Both agree it would be good, Greg has a meeting next week with the GWP folks and plans on bringing it up (fingers crossed). I also saw Chairman Mendelson speak and failed to win the new bike and other prizes from BicycleSpace.

My firm: had a mini-BTWD welcome station by the garage with fruit (already had my fill from the other stops) and water, which I happily drank.

All in all another fun BTWD in the books.

Tania
    Participant

I’d just be echoing what everyone else has written here about Mosaic, Merrifield, WFC, EFC and Ballston.

Thanks to Matt, Dread and Boomer for riding in with me and then thanks to Dickie for the company on the way back west and for suggesting we stop at EFC (u-lock!!).

(The Bikenetic crew really are crazy. And…boisterous.)

Adding a thanks to Brian from Bikenetic for fixing my cross chaining. Now I’ll be as silent as a leaf on the wind.

americancyclo
    Participant

I was happy to have a convoy this year. We got to the Bikenetic stop in time for the 7am “noise allowed” time which was great. the vuvuzela gauntlet was super fun to ride through and two convoy members got introduced to the shop, which I think is a big win for everyone.

I got the Willy Wonka golden ticket at Rosslyn and scored a sweet new helmet to replace one of my 10 year old ones that i should have replaced years ago.
    11251740_703831856412163_1626657831_n.jpg

lots of friendly faces at all the pitstops. felt great to have such nice weather and see so many bike friends.

mstone
    Participant

@MattAune 115942 wrote:

Dread and I almost got in a fight with Officer Friendly from the falls church police department. Phil from bikentic moved the cones every time the office walked away. Hopefully there wasn’t a wreck there.

Wait, Barney Fife put those there? I’d assumed it was the Bikenetic guys being overly zealous. If it was little loudoun once again showing its “love” for cyclists it makes more sense.

mstone
    Participant

@dkel 115964 wrote:

Having to swerve in order to get through a very narrow opening with constant two-way traffic is just bonkers. Half the people passing through veered around one side or the other just to avoid it (which was the safest thing to do).

Yes, I rode through the grass.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.