Good News on Infrastructure thread

Our Community Forums General Discussion Good News on Infrastructure thread

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 595 total)
  • Author
    bikesnick
    Participant

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25396[/ATTACH]

The North bound traffic lanes are open.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25397[/ATTACH]

The sidewalk/bikelane(?) is not open.
    It is at road level with no curb.

Fairlington124
    Participant

@LhasaCM 211297 wrote:

Installation has started on the extension of the 15th NW PBL from Pennsylvania down to the mall (and eventually to the 14th Street bridge). Striping work is done between Pennsylvania and Constitution, but protection hasn’t yet been installed, so it’s not very usable yet. But soon!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25368[/ATTACH]

Was in town a few weeks ago, and I noticed that the PBL goes all the way to Maine Avenue, very briefly on Maine, and then ends as the riders go to/from Ohio Dr SW.

lordofthemark
    Participant

@Fairlington124 215070 wrote:

Was in town a few weeks ago, and I noticed that the PBL goes all the way to Maine Avenue, very briefly on Maine, and then ends as the riders go to/from Ohio Dr SW.

There are plans to fill that last gap. I don’t know the timetable.

LhasaCM
    Participant

@lordofthemark 215093 wrote:

There are plans to fill that last gap. I don’t know the timetable.

Last I heard – though it was originally hoped for in 2021, it should be this year when NPS repaves East Basin Drive (DDOT was responsible for the section between Pennsylvania and Maine).

chris_s
    Participant

Construction has finally begun on the extension of the Hayes St PBL to Eads along 18th
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]27168[/ATTACH]

Landmark Block construction will add a block of eastbound PBL on Clarendon Blvd, a block of westbound PBL on Wilson Blvd, a block of southbound PBL (at sidewalk level) on N Courthouse Rd, and a block of unprotected paint-only bike lane on N Courthouse Rd (and fix the narrow sidewalk in front of California Tortilla)

CaseyKane50
    Participant

The new Malcolm X Shared-Use Path (1.3 miles) in Washington is now open. You can pick it coming off the South Capitol Street Bridge and heading south towards Firth Sterling Avenue, S.E. You have to cross South Capitol Street, S.E. at the Firth Sterling/Defense Boulevard intersection (be careful of the trolly tracks). Ride less than a block to St. Elizabeths Road, S.E. and turn right onto the trail. There currently are no wayfinding signs, but the trail is easy to follow. You will continue along the trail until it climbs up South Capitol Street, S.E. to its end at Martin Luther King Boulevard, S.E. There are some great views of Washington, National Airport and Alexandria, as you ride along the trail. A nice feature of the trails are the many planted trees and installed lights. The trees are planted well below the trail surface and should pose no issues with root heaves in future years.

Looking north towards downtown
    f6efbd017cbb599634e918d402103b1b.jpg

Heading south along the trail.
    8e870dfc3345f9212eb2848c08618bf6.jpg

Looking north at the Malcolm X Avenue intersection
    a268792aaf60d502812af6ce60613a21.jpg

Heading south along South Capitol Street towards Martin Luther King Avenue
    2f1cd25420ad62116b8f4395f38b2859.jpgu

secstate
    Participant

@CaseyKane50 216887 wrote:

The new Malcolm X Shared-Use Path (1.3 miles) in Washington is now open.

Thanks for the update! Please excuse my ignorance of that part of the city, but for folks who don’t otherwise have business there, does it make any recreational rides easier? (E.g., looking at the map it appears it could make it nicer to get from Navy Yard to Oxon Run)

CaseyKane50
    Participant

@secstate 217042 wrote:

Thanks for the update! Please excuse my ignorance of that part of the city, but for folks who don’t otherwise have business there, does it make any recreational rides easier? (E.g., looking at the map it appears it could make it nicer to get from Navy Yard to Oxon Run)

Yes, I think it makes it a bit easier to do the loop you noted. Here is my ride when I rode the Malcolm X Trail https://www.strava.com/activities/6716828151/shareable_images/image?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJ1cmwiOm51bGwsInR5cGUiOiJtYXAiLCJ0b2tlbiI6ImJhZmYxYTc2OGUxMjc5YzY3YTQxOWI3N2QwMDI4ODVjMDc0ZjUzMzUiLCJ3aWR0aCI6NjM4LCJoZWlnaHQiOjk1MSwiaW1hZ2Vfd2lkdGgiOm51bGwsImltYWdlX2hlaWdodCI6bnVsbCwidW5pcXVlX2lkIjpudWxsfQ.8O43b8a_tFE4FY87j27S4L_QhNX_uGJ1NMKOB0LKlN0&hl=en-US

4e4f17b22f5393aa19e2c43e7c9c00bc.jpg

Steve O
    Participant

I rode my bike under the new Frederick Douglas Bridge to see how the downstream connector is coming along. It’s not complete yet, and it is still blocked off by this orange tape, an obstacle that was relatively easily overcome.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28424[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28425[/ATTACH]

LhasaCM
    Participant

While a lot has been done the past few months for the MBT extension to Fort Totten, it hasn’t necessarily looked like it. However, very visible progress has occurred over the past couple of days. It appears the site work is getting close to finished near Fort Totten, so the final asphalt segment has been paved. All that’s left is a bit of brickwork, cleanup, and removing the barriers. Hopefully soon!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29025[/ATTACH]

Smitty2k1
    Participant

@LhasaCM 218877 wrote:

While a lot has been done the past few months for the MBT extension to Fort Totten, it hasn’t necessarily looked like it. However, very visible progress has occurred over the past couple of days. It appears the site work is getting close to finished near Fort Totten, so the final asphalt segment has been paved. All that’s left is a bit of brickwork, cleanup, and removing the barriers. Hopefully soon!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29025[/ATTACH]

If you’re willing to go around the orange construction cones the trail is entirely paved from the transfer station to Ft Totten Metro! I rode it a few days back on my way back home to Petworth from a friend’s in Brookland.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

LhasaCM
    Participant

@Smitty2k1 218976 wrote:

If you’re willing to go around the orange construction cones the trail is entirely paved from the transfer station to Ft Totten Metro! I rode it a few days back on my way back home to Petworth from a friend’s in Brookland.

Even better – paving wrapped up about a week ago and Wednesday-ish (maybe the day after you went through?) the fencing was taken down for the bike path. There’s still some work in the area – mostly landscaping – but the path is open and it seems folks are loving it!

Smitty2k1
    Participant

@LhasaCM 218978 wrote:

Even better – paving wrapped up about a week ago and Wednesday-ish (maybe the day after you went through?) the fencing was taken down for the bike path. There’s still some work in the area – mostly landscaping – but the path is open and it seems folks are loving it!

Yep rode through Tuesday evening!

consularrider
    Participant

Looks like the trail work at Iwo Jima may be done although the detour/construction signs are still up

bentbike33
    Participant

@consularrider 218983 wrote:

Looks like the trail work at Iwo Jima may be done although the detour/construction signs are still up

Confirmed. They even made a trail entrance from Marshall Drive up near the Carillon.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 595 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.