e-Bikes – Let’s talk

Our Community Forums Commuters e-Bikes – Let’s talk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,364 total)
  • Author
    eBikeDude
    Participant

I see a number of pros and cons to e-bikes, and I’d like to get a conversation going on that topic. Any other e-Bike users out there? What do you like about it? Anyone with concerns about e-Bikes? Let’s hear from you too! Please be nice, though!

jrenaut
    Participant

I don’t mean to be rude, but are you a spambot?

Joe Chapline
    Participant

Welcome to the forum, eBikeDude. I don’t think anyone has mentioned e-bikes yet, but I’m sure everyone will be nice if they have anything to say.

Joe Chapline
    Participant

@jrenaut 4901 wrote:

I don’t mean to be rude, but are you a spambot?

I’m pretty sure that’s not the case.

CCrew
    Participant

Ok, where’s the popcorn icon?

OneEighth
    Participant

I have a thought on e-bikes. Namely, that they, just like gas-powered mopeds or any other motorized vehicle, do not belong on the trails.
    It’s already dangerous enough with people who occasionally outstrip their skill-level and commonsense on downhills. No need to exacerbate things.

Greenbelt
    Participant

There was a pretty well-commented thread from a DC-area e-biker on a liberal political blog a few days ago (most of the comments bike oriented, not political):
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/06/11/984188/-An-abortive-Bike-to-Work-Day–with-many-bike-to-work-days

My two cents is that if e-bikers only use the motor for hill climbing, not to buzz past pedestrians and regular bikes on the flats, we should give them a chance on the trails. Of course, the trails in my area aren’t too crowded, so my two cents might not be valid elsewhere.

StopMeansStop
    Participant

@Greenbelt 4910 wrote:

There was a pretty well-commented thread from a DC-area e-biker on a liberal political blog a few days ago (most of the comments bike oriented, not political):
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/06/11/984188/-An-abortive-Bike-to-Work-Day–with-many-bike-to-work-days

My two cents is that if e-bikers only use the motor for hill climbing, not to buzz past pedestrians and regular bikes on the flats, we should give them a chance on the trails. Of course, the trails in my area aren’t too crowded, so my two cents might not be valid elsewhere.

In Virginia it is illegal to ride any motorized vehicle on a trail or sidewalk.

CCrew
    Participant

@OneEighth 4909 wrote:

I have a thought on e-bikes. Namely, that they, just like gas-powered mopeds or any other motorized vehicle, do not belong on the trails.
    It’s already dangerous enough with people who occasionally outstrip their skill-level and commonsense on downhills. No need to exacerbate things.

They’re already not allowed on the W&OD. “No motorized vehicles” applies to them also.

Personal opinion is that if you’re too farking lazy to pedal that you need an eBike then Metro is the thing for you.

eminva
    Participant

At risk of venturing an opinion on a topic about which I know very little (so what else is new on the Internet!):

I don’t see too many eBikes in DC — just the occasional messenger or delivery person. I’ve seen more of them in Manhattan — again, usually delivery people.

Have not seen this, but I have heard of people putting a small motor on a cargo bike — especially helpful for when a mom is carrying a couple of kids plus gear and groceries and lives in a hilly place. I wouldn’t have a problem with this application because a family on a bike, even with a small motor, is preferable to a family in an SUV in my estimation.

My brother in law built his own eBike — he lives close to work, but home is at the bottom of a big hill and work is at the top. Plus he is an engineer/gadget guy who likes to make stuff.

As others have said, they are not allowed on the local trails. I think that’s a good call considering how congested the trails are already.

Liz

Mark Blacknell
    Participant

I’m not so sure there’s a clear prohibition against e-bikes on trails. There’s no local law governing it (to the best of my knowledge), and I’m not entirely sure how state law might be construed against them on trails. They’re not motor vehicles (in fact, VA’s code already provides a definition of e-bikes: Va Code ยง 46.2-100 – “Electric power-assisted bicycle” means a vehicle that travels on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and is equipped with (i) pedals that allow propulsion by human power and (ii) an electric motor with an input of no more than 1,000 watts that reduces the pedal effort required of the rider. For the purposes of Chapter 8 of this title, an electric power-assisted bicycle shall be a vehicle when operated on a highway.”). Maybe there’s a NVPRA regulation against them on the WOD, but that wouldn’t cover the Custis or lots of other local trails.

Putting that issue aside, I’ve eased away from my scoffing at e-bikes.* They’re not for me, but they could be for a *lot* of people. First group – older riders. We age, we lose strength and stamina. E-bikes can provide a level of backup/assurance that can be the difference between someone being willing to get on a bike or not. Similarly, there are a whole lot of potential riders out there that simply don’t – for one reason or another – have the physical ability to comfortably get up something like the Rosslyn hill. Since the Rosslyn hill isn’t going anywhere, maybe we should be a little more open to means of getting people up and over it that don’t involve cars? Finally, there’s no denying (I think) that the reduced physical demands of an e-bike make it an attractive commuting option for those who aren’t keen on changing/getting showers after they get to work. Especially in DC.

Finally, I think it might be helpful to differentiate between the various kinds of bikes we might be talking about:

– The (mostly) cobbled-together bikes with tiny combustion motors – I don’t think we’re in danger of getting overrun by those anytime soon (and lord knows we’ll get plenty of notice if they’re headed our way.
    – Full electric bikes – you twist the handle and go, pedaling having very little to do with it. These generally top out at 15mph (and since the electric motor does all the work, don’t get very far).
    – Electric-assist bikes – you’re still in charge of most of the effort (i.e., pedaling), but there’s an extra boost (that generally drops down, the faster you go). I think these are probably the most common in the US, so far.

*Unless you’re my friend M. I will continue to mock him and his 9000lb e-bike in the interests of preserving a tradition.

Dirt
    Participant

I see three dudes with eBikes on the W&OD on a regular basis. These things are fast…. REALLY fast. I’ve talked to one of the guys and asked if he minds me riding with him when I’m doing a spirited ride home. He didn’t have any problem with that. When I’m rested and riding my fastest road bike (sub 15-pound carbon fiber wonder-bike) I’m able to keep up with him if I’m absolutely at the limit. I can pull away from him on the super steep hills. He can pull away from me anywhere else if I slip out of his draft. If there’s any kind of traffic around, pedestrian or bicycles, I don’t even attempt this because it is very easy to get north of 40kph (25mph).

On this guy’s eBike, the concept of pedal assist is purely a concept. This guy would need a 55 tooth chain ring for his pedals to do any assisting.

That said, when there’s no-one around, it is a BLAST to ride with the guy. It is exactly like motorpacing workouts that I did in the 80s and early 90s.

Greenbelt
    Participant

If these things start getting marketed as rad new scooter-like toys for kids, to be used like the scooters that infest the U of MD campus, then I’m all for banning them on trails. On the other hand, if they’re marketed (and engineered) to help older or less strong riders commute by bike or utility bike by helping them on the hills, then I’d be much more tolerant.

jrenaut
    Participant

I’m all for them, so long as people riding them are good neighbors. And that’s the same thing I say about pedestrians, joggers, cars, f’ing Segways, and everyone else sharing the roads and trails.

Mark Blacknell
    Participant

Well, we’re probably going to get a bit of both, no? I think there’s something of a defense against the first, though – the cost of an e-bike. Even as they drop (somewhat) in price, they’re still quite expensive.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,364 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.