Does the new W&OD bridge over Rte 29 have a name?

Our Community Forums General Discussion Does the new W&OD bridge over Rte 29 have a name?

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Kbikeva
    Participant

@bikesnick 227106 wrote:

According to ArlNow in today’s post, it is “the Pete Beers Memorial Bridge”
    See today’s photo of the day.

https://www.arlnow.com/2024/01/02/morning-notes-3310/

Hate to burst the bubble, but that is wishful reporting by ArlNow. The W&OD has not named any bridge on the trail for any person. Some are named for the water feature they cross.

Pete was my friend, and I do think he merits recognition somewhere, but that bridge isn’t going to be where it happens.

At present, bench donation on the W&OD is on hold as well while the staff evaluate the existing benches for wear/tear and potential replacement.

One way to recognize Pete that would be awesome would be to install a set of bike tools somewhere along the trail where it’s a bit too much for walking between shops.

I’m the president of the Friends of the W&OD, so if anyone wants to promote that (or some idea we’ve not yet discussed), I’m happy to advocate for something that fits in the guidelines.

Steve O
    Participant

@Kbikeva 227110 wrote:

Hate to burst the bubble, but that is wishful reporting by ArlNow. The W&OD has not named any bridge on the trail for any person. Some are named for the water feature they cross.

Pete was my friend, and I do think he merits recognition somewhere, but that bridge isn’t going to be where it happens.

At present, bench donation on the W&OD is on hold as well while the staff evaluate the existing benches for wear/tear and potential replacement.

One way to recognize Pete that would be awesome would be to install a set of bike tools somewhere along the trail where it’s a bit too much for walking between shops.

I’m the president of the Friends of the W&OD, so if anyone wants to promote that (or some idea we’ve not yet discussed), I’m happy to advocate for something that fits in the guidelines.

A feature can be called something and be generally regarded as having that name, even if it’s not “official.” The Iwo Jima Memorial being an example: it’s commonly called that even though that is not its official designation. And everyone knows what is meant when it is referred to that way.
    Likewise with this bridge. If people (including ArlNow) continually refer to it as the Pete Beers Memorial Bridge (or “Pete Beers Bridge” for short), then it will de facto become that. Even more “de facto” if it has no competing official name, as versus the Iwo Jima Memorial.

kbikeva – just because no bridge in the past has been named after someone doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Guidelines are just that – guidelines. They can be changed or waived or disregarded if merited. I recommend you suggest the bridge be officially named its de facto name. After all, there have even been signs there calling it that, and there is – AFAICT – no downside.

Kbikeva
    Participant

@Steve O 227116 wrote:

A feature can be called something and be generally regarded as having that name, even if it’s not “official.” The Iwo Jima Memorial being an example: it’s commonly called that even though that is not its official designation. And everyone knows what is meant when it is referred to that way.
    Likewise with this bridge. If people (including ArlNow) continually refer to it as the Pete Beers Memorial Bridge (or “Pete Beers Bridge” for short), then it will de facto become that. Even more “de facto” if it has no competing official name, as versus the Iwo Jima Memorial.

kbikeva – just because no bridge in the past has been named after someone doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Guidelines are just that – guidelines. They can be changed or waived or disregarded if merited. I recommend you suggest the bridge be officially named its de facto name. After all, there have even been signs there calling it that, and there is – AFAICT – no downside.

I think we’ve all seen the downside of naming things after people. History often changes perception of how to celebrate different people and events. Not saying that would happen with Pete, just that by not naming things after people, one avoids a host of problems. That’s a NOVAParks decision throughout the system.

My point is that if people want to provide something that truly celebrates Pete’s spirit of helpfulness and kindness, placing some tools with his name on them is a great start. I don’t think he ever met a flat tire he didn’t offer to fix. That is something that would be appreciated, useful, and easily fits in current approval standards.

And with that, I’m signing off this discussion. Those who want to pursue something official can contact wod@novaparks.org

lordofthemark
    Participant

@Steve O 227116 wrote:

Personally I’d like to contemplate that while walking down 6th Avenue in Manhattan. Or to be closer to home, the 14th Street Bridge. I may say something about that on Twitter.

Personally I’d like to see a sign there that says “We should all go for a bike ride”, not sure what the rules about that are. Tools would be great too.

Starduster
    Participant

@bikesnick 227106 wrote:

According to ArlNow in today’s post, it is “the Pete Beers Memorial Bridge”
    See today’s photo of the day.

https://www.arlnow.com/2024/01/02/morning-notes-3310/

*Common usage* is an effective lobbying tool. Keep it up!

Henry
    Keymaster

FYI, Starduster and I are meeting with Arlington County Board member Takis Karantonis later this month to find out how we can formally start the process to get this bridge dedicated to Pete.

Chime in here if you want to help the campaign once we learn more about the next steps.

Henry

Sunyata
    Participant

Happy to help and can wrangle additional support through Team Bikenetic if needed.

Starduster
    Participant

Henry and I met with Arlington County Board Vice-Chair Takis Karantonis last week. The political process is started. We have allies. Allow us time to work some magic.

An advisory- The signs that came & went last year at the bridge remain a sore point with NVRPA. It’s their trail-we *must* have their consent. Though unrelated, the “Jay Fisette Memorial Trail” paint further down the trail could not have helped our cause. Anything further would be counter productive.

Remember you are loved.

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.