Does the new W&OD bridge over Rte 29 have a name?

Our Community Forums General Discussion Does the new W&OD bridge over Rte 29 have a name?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Henry
    Keymaster

Last weekend I spoke to Kevin Casalenuovo, manager of the W&OD Railroad Regional Park, and reminded him about the community interest in this memorial. He said he still doesn’t have his revised policy for trailside memorial benches, but expects to soon. I’ll follow-up again to let him know interest is still there.

Henry

Starduster
    Participant

Henry: Let the crew at Bikenetic know as well. They will want to be in on this.

kwarkentien
    Participant

Not that I’m advocating this or anything (disclaimer for all you lawyer types out there) but someone (or several someones) could go out surreptitiously one night and just install some bridge name signs at the approaches on both sides and just leave them there. You know, just sayin’. Could happen.

Steve O
    Participant

@kwarkentien 219093 wrote:

Not that I’m advocating this or anything (disclaimer for all you lawyer types out there) but someone (or several someones) could go out surreptitiously one night and just install some bridge name signs at the approaches on both sides and just leave them there. You know, just sayin’. Could happen.

I have no idea about anyone who might do something like that.

Steve O
    Participant

@Henry 219041 wrote:

Last weekend I spoke to Kevin Casalenuovo, manager of the W&OD Railroad Regional Park, and reminded him about the community interest in this memorial. He said he still doesn’t have his revised policy for trailside memorial benches, but expects to soon. I’ll follow-up again to let him know interest is still there.

Henry

I think the trailside bench was option 2, after the bridge itself. Pete Beers Memorial Bridge. Is Mr. Casalenuovo aware of that?

n18
    Participant

We could just call it Dirt Highway. Not really tied to anybody or any name. Not sure if the family approves.

https://www.roadtrafficsigns.com/personalized-street-signs

Henry
    Keymaster

The brand-new finished covered bench in the photo is not available for sponsorship, according to Kevin at Nova Parks. There is another bench across the trail that is need of replacing and Kevin suggests that might be appropriate for a Pete/Dirt/WSGFABR bench. My two cents is that it’s close to the Veterans Common memorial, and would probably be associated with that. A fine cause, but had nothing to do with Pete, and I feel he warrants a stand-alone memorial.

After Bike to Work Day, perhaps we can convene a group of interested concerned citizens to review options.

Henry

sjclaeys
    Participant

Saw this today.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]29168[/ATTACH]

consularrider
    Participant

Shhhh!

Starduster
    Participant

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29970[/ATTACH]

[Looks up & goes, “huh?”]

The spirit of Saint Pete Beers moves upon the land. And in this forum. #dirt

There can be no other explanation.

Starduster
    Participant

We hereby proclaim.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30386[/ATTACH]

Lt. Dan
    Participant

@Starduster 224501 wrote:

We hereby proclaim.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30386[/ATTACH]

Oh heck yeah!!!

Starduster
    Participant

I rode to see if Pete’s sign remained. It does. Both sides of the bridge. Printed green on white reflective sheeting.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30753[/ATTACH]

Folks, I believe…it is official.

We should go for a bike ride!

Starduster
    Participant

We saw the sign in February, but I went to verify that the sign was “official”, from a VDOT sign shop, and not some really good “guerrilla sign work”. And honestly worried it would be taken down. This is genuine-the sticker is a match for the two roadway hazard signs above it.

bikesnick
    Participant

According to ArlNow in today’s post, it is “the Pete Beers Memorial Bridge”
    See today’s photo of the day.

https://www.arlnow.com/2024/01/02/morning-notes-3310/

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.