Crystal City Bike to Work Week 2015

Our Community Forums Bike to Work Day Archives Bike to Work Day 2015 Crystal City Bike to Work Week 2015

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    jpetty1
    Participant

For the 5th year the Crystal City BID will be hosting Bike to Work Week in the Crystal City Water Park from May 11-15. We will be onsite from 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM each morning giving out free coffee and breakfast treats to all the riders. There will also be mechanics onsite Wed-Fri for any quick adjustments. Due to the growth of the program each year we have gone from the top 50 to the top 100 riders of the week will receive a Crystal City Cycling Jersey. Sign up online, or stop by and register onsite. We look forward to seeing you out there.

Liz
    Participant

@jpetty1 113517 wrote:

For the 5th year the Crystal City BID will be hosting Bike to Work Week in the Crystal City Water Park from May 11-15. We will be onsite from 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM each morning giving out free coffee and breakfast treats to all the riders. There will also be mechanics onsite Wed-Fri for any quick adjustments. Due to the growth of the program each year we have gone from the top 50 to the top 100 riders of the week will receive a Crystal City Cycling Jersey. Sign up online, or stop by and register onsite. We look forward to seeing you out there.

I think it’s great that Crystal City is doing this. It just stinks for Crystal City residents who don’t work in the area. I live in Crystal City and I like it a lot, but I leave between 6 and 6:30 so I can make it in to work with enough time to eat, shower and get to my desk by 8:30. Is there any way that BID would be able to open earlier to catch Crystal City bike commuters who bike out rather than bike in? The neighborhood is already significantly better for those employed in the area with mid-day activities and the majority of businesses closing between 5 and 6 (ex: I’ve never seen the corner bakery cafe open before, and it’s directly below my apartment building). Please do more for Crystal City residents as well as Crystal City employers.

Thank you!

A Crystal City resident and avid cyclist.

Sunyata
    Participant

@Liz 113519 wrote:

I live in Crystal City and I like it a lot, but I leave between 6 and 6:30 so I can make it in to work with enough time to eat, shower and get to my desk by 8:30. Is there any way that BID would be able to open earlier to catch Crystal City bike commuters who bike out rather than bike in? The neighborhood is already significantly better for those employed in the area with mid-day activities and the majority of businesses closing between 5 and 6 (ex: I’ve never seen the corner bakery cafe open before, and it’s directly below my apartment building). Please do more for Crystal City residents as well as Crystal City employers.

+1 to this.

Even though I do not live in Crystal City, I live pretty close by (Fairlington) and would love to be able to do the bike to work week there. However, I have an early job (my shift starts at 7). It would be awesome if they could open things up at 6 for the early birds. :)

Emm
    Participant

Yay! I moved to Alexandria and now can incorporate this into my commute–I was really jealous last year seeing all the photos everyone shared.

I may even bike over on my telework day just for the coffee and bagels…

Terpfan
    Participant

Food and coffee every morning? Ha, I will make it there, especially since my conference finishes up a solid two weeks beforehand this year rather than the week beforehand.

KWL
    Participant

A chance to win a jersey? And free food. Heck yeah, I’ll be there every day around 7:10am. Look for the guy who keeps getting fatter as the week progresses.

creadinger
    Participant

@Liz 113519 wrote:

I think it’s great that Crystal City is doing this. It just stinks for Crystal City residents who don’t work in the area. I live in Crystal City and I like it a lot, but I leave between 6 and 6:30 so I can make it in to work with enough time to eat, shower and get to my desk by 8:30. Is there any way that BID would be able to open earlier to catch Crystal City bike commuters who bike out rather than bike in? The neighborhood is already significantly better for those employed in the area with mid-day activities and the majority of businesses closing between 5 and 6 (ex: I’ve never seen the corner bakery cafe open before, and it’s directly below my apartment building). Please do more for Crystal City residents as well as Crystal City employers.

Thank you!

A Crystal City resident and avid cyclist.

Thanks for speaking up. I won’t be stopping either. I leave Del Ray by ~6:20 to get to Suitland by 7:30. It’s like all the Friday coffee clubs around here starting at 730-8am. Do people even work on Fridays or what?

wheelswings
    Participant

Sorry you will miss it… I feel your pain, having missed BTWD for 8 years because my shift started at 5 a.m. I feel lucky to be working later hours now.
    I expect it’s tricky to find BTWD volunteers to work so early, since we’re all so sleep-deprived. Actually it’s probably a challenge to find volunteers for the late shift, too, since we’ve all got to get to work!

cvcalhoun
    Participant

@Liz 113519 wrote:

It just stinks for Crystal City residents who don’t work in the area.

Alas, it stinks for all of us who don’t work in the area, whether or not we live there. I really wish there were more than just the one location that had a week long pit stop. But I do understand it’s hard to get volunteers/swag/prizes/etc.

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

The Crystal City BID runs the week-long bike promotion. Other BIDs in the region could do something similar. I know that in Arlington, there are also BIDs in Rosslyn and in Ballston. There are nine BIDs in DC. I don’t know if there are BIDs or Community Improvement Districts in Alexandria, Fairfax or Maryland.

Residents or workers in those BID areas could contact the local BID and suggest that they follow CCBID’s lead. A week-long promotion might not make sense in some areas, but it could in others, such as Downtown DC or the Golden Triangle (Connecticut Ave., Dupont Circle, Farragut Square, Pennsylvania Ave., K St NW).

http://dslbd.dc.gov/service/business-improvement-districts-bids

While many or most of the BIDs are bike-friendly, I don’t think any of them are quite as supportive of cycling as the CCBID is (the 1st Capital Bikeshare stations, Air Force Ass’n Cycling Classic/Challenge Ride, Phoenix Derby, Wednesday Night Spins, Bike to Work Week).

Terpfan
    Participant

So this starts tomorrow, right? I will drop by hoping there is a bagel there. And if I get my butt out of bed early enough, maybe some coffee too.

Emm
    Participant

@Terpfan 115418 wrote:

So this starts tomorrow, right? I will drop by hoping there is a bagel there. And if I get my butt out of bed early enough, maybe some coffee too.

Yup, it started. I got my 25% of a bagel and some coffee, along with a bike arlington light (this one in white, so it actually matches my bike for once). The jersey they’re giving away this year is pretty cool, so I’m hoping I can make it there every day and win one.

CaseyKane50
    Participant

I got there around 7:45, there were 30 registered riders at that time. In addition to the light, I got a tire patch kit, a cup of coffee and a banana.

americancyclo
    Participant

I saw dbb when i arrived, and was followed quickly by oneEighth, subby, and vvill. Nice crew to share some coffee and laughs before work.

615 caravan leaving falls church tomorrow, but I can’t stay much past 710 at CC.

kwarkentien
    Participant

Haven’t been on the forum in a while so I had missed this. I guess I know where I’ll be stopping tomorrow on my way in to work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.