West Glebe Bridge to close May 9, but remain open for bikes/peds

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions West Glebe Bridge to close May 9, but remain open for bikes/peds

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    lordofthemark
    Participant

The project is done. The underpass is now permanently (?) back open, and the bike lanes on the bridge are quite good, and are being fairly heavily used.

huskerdont
    Participant

@lordofthemark 226111 wrote:

The project is done. The underpass is now permanently (?) back open, and the bike lanes on the bridge are quite good, and are being fairly heavily used.

It was closed for a bit yesterday afternoon while they were up doing something to the west underside of the bridge. Hopefully just a minor, temporary thing. It was open again approaching 7 p.m., but the cones were still around for potential future use.

chris_s
    Participant

There will be a ribbon-cutting this Tuesday if anyone wants to ask some Alexandria officials when the new bridge bike lanes will connect to something useful on the Alexandria side :)

Join Arlington County and the City of Alexandria for a special celebration of the West Glebe Road Bridge completion and the opportunity to meet artist Vicki Scuri at this dedication event! Driving, biking or walking will reveal a series of graduating arcs and bubble patterns that enhance the experience of crossing this newly renovated bridge. The design encourages people to slow down, appreciate their surroundings, and reflect on the natural beauty of Four Mile Run.

When: Tuesday, Sept. 12, 2:00 p.m.

Where: Pizza Hut Parking Lot, 1049 W. Glebe Rd., Alexandria, VA 22305

This event will be held outdoors. In the case of inclement weather, the event will move into the Pizza Hut.

CaseyKane50
    Participant

@chris_s 226140 wrote:

There will be a ribbon-cutting this Tuesday if anyone wants to ask some Alexandria officials when the new bridge bike lanes will connect to something useful on the Alexandria side :).

Probably the most useful connection is the proposed extension of the Four Mile Run Park Trail. The trail is proposed in the “Arlandria-Chirilagua Small Area Plan” https://media.alexandriava.gov/content/planning/ArlandriaChirilaguaSAPEnglishCurrent.pdf. Unfortunately, timing is dependent on redevelopment of the properties along Four Mile Run

53f5e0943cdf622cb54c71b1f891a4b0.jpg

Judd
    Participant

@chris_s 226140 wrote:

This event will be held outdoors. In the case of inclement weather, the event will move into the Pizza Hut.

Laughing at the thought of a press photo of people cutting a ribbon in front of a salad bar.

chris_s
    Participant

@CaseyKane50 226141 wrote:

Probably the most useful connection is the proposed extension of the Four Mile Run Park Trail. The trail is proposed in the “Arlandria-Chirilagua Small Area Plan” https://media.alexandriava.gov/content/planning/ArlandriaChirilaguaSAPEnglishCurrent.pdf. Unfortunately, timing is dependent on redevelopment of the properties along Four Mile Run

I’d use the heck out of a connection that just got me from the bridge to Valley Drive without dealing with that West Glebe Traffic.

lordofthemark
    Participant

@chris_s 226147 wrote:

I’d use the heck out of a connection that just got me from the bridge to Valley Drive without dealing with that West Glebe Traffic.

The proposed trail would miss Valley. We have noted low volumes on that part of W Glebe, which would make it suitable for a road diet. But that did not make it into the new Arlandria/Chirilagua plan, and is not in the current 5 year work plan. There are three work plan items open for comment now, more on that very soon.

CaseyKane50
    Participant

@chris_s 226147 wrote:

Attended the ribbon cutting and talked some options with city staff. They said they would take a look at what could be done between Valley Drive and the bridge.

In the meantime, a relatively safe option to get to Valley is to take the upstream path on the bridge and either ride the sidewalk to Valley or wait to merge onto Glebe and stay in the slip lane to Valley.

0c1fd8d088c5723e3909d49d60af1642.jpg

semperiden
    Participant

Just moved out of this area. I used to like biking on it when the bridge opened for just one lane. My brain for some reason never adjusted, so I did merge into incoming traffic after the gas station when both lanes opened, which was kind of dangerous. If you want to ride safely, you are basically stuck to the sidewalk until you are at Valley drive. You have to dodge people walking in the sidewalk just getting out of a bus sometimes. I think restricting the street to one lane for that one block would work wonders, but doubt that will happen.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.