West Glebe Bridge to close May 9, but remain open for bikes/peds

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions West Glebe Bridge to close May 9, but remain open for bikes/peds

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Starduster
    Participant

Good morning. A screenshot from Arlington on the current state of the bridge project and the timeline for the remaining work. We will get the trail underpass back soon enough.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30792[/ATTACH]

Steve O
    Participant

@Starduster 225847 wrote:

Good morning. A screenshot from Arlington on the current state of the bridge project and the timeline for the remaining work. We will get the trail underpass back soon enough.

Doesn’t the stream flow the other way?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30793[/ATTACH]

Judd
    Participant

@Steve O 225851 wrote:

Doesn’t the stream flow the other way?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30793[/ATTACH]

Depends on the tides.

Steve O
    Participant

@Judd 225853 wrote:

Depends on the tides.

Yes, perhaps they were writing the notice while the tide was coming in. :rolleyes:

lordofthemark
    Participant

@Starduster 225847 wrote:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30792[/ATTACH]

I noted them dismantling the temporary bridge. Rode over on the side path/bike lane on the west side (IE the side further from the Potomac River) did not notice anything that looked like it still needed doing, but I guess I didn’t look closely enough.

Hope this doesn’t take much longer. I’d really like the trail back. I guess it is too late to complain about the beg button.

I assume when the bridge if considered fully open, work will begin on the ArlingtonRidge/Mt Vernon Avenue bridge.

consularrider
    Participant

@Judd 225853 wrote:

Depends on the tides.

I don’t think the tides gets quite that far. ;)

lordofthemark
    Participant

The trail underpass is open!

huskerdont
    Participant

Yes, the trail underpass is open, yet every day I see people still queued up at the light. It’s like the cage door is open now and people don’t notice it.

lordofthemark
    Participant

@huskerdont 225870 wrote:

Yes, the trail underpass is open, yet every day I see people still queued up at the light. It’s like the cage door is open now and people don’t notice it.

Tuesday on the way home from work, I went (westbound) to the light then realized what I was doing and doubled back to take the trail. Sometimes we get in our zone and ride by habit, doncha know. “the horse knows the way” as my dad (zichron le bracha) would say (when driving a car)

Starduster
    Participant

@huskerdont 225870 wrote:

As of 2pm yesterday, detour signage was still up at both ends. I first came upon this going eastbound on the trail, and was well below street level before I realized, “hey!”

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30795[/ATTACH]

Its newly opened state is less obvious westbound. But I’m happy. It reopened sooner than I expected.

Judd
    Participant

For folks going westbound that may be less frequent users, it is much less obvious that the underpass is open. Signage for the detour is still up. I probably would have detoured out of habit this morning if not for the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaseyKane50
    Participant

Be prepared. The trail underpass under Glebe Road was closed this morning.

a24ac19e04d2a55139a8e665a1154231.jpg

kwarkentien
    Participant

It was open today and I noticed that the plywood/catwalk on the downstream (Pizza Hut) side had been removed, so I suspect that was why it was closed yesterday. I didn’t pay close enough attention to see if the upstream (I-395) side still had any of the construction remnants hanging over the edge or if that had been removed as well.

Starduster
    Participant

Hey. This bridge is so close to completion that I can live with additional temporary detours to the street. The end result is so much better than before.

Judd
    Participant

I still space out about 50% of the time and start heading down the detour route before turning back around.

@Judd 225875 wrote:

For folks going westbound that may be less frequent users, it is much less obvious that the underpass is open. Signage for the detour is still up. I probably would have detoured out of habit this morning if not for the forum.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.