Strava discriminates against heavy bikes

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Strava discriminates against heavy bikes

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    peterw_diy
    Participant

All I need is a pedal-based meter, like this new one from Garmin which costs more than my bike & all its accessories. And then some pedal inserts so we can ride with street shoes. And some Ant+ device to collect the data. No problem. Ha.

Today Strava prompted me to enter a weight for a ride. I thought, hey, this is perfect for those of us with significant differences in cargo weights for different rides. Of course Strava just wanted my body weight. It seems I can always count on them to let me down! :-)

peterw_diy
    Participant

OK, I have to give Strava some credit. It appears that power estimates are tied to activities and not your current body weight. Leave your profile body weight blank and you can use Strava.com to manually trigger calculation for a ride, using different weights for each ride.

dasgeh
    Participant

BTW, Hope to see you on a Kidical Mass Arlington ride sometime! We have lots of fun types of bikes to ogle…

peterw_diy
    Participant

@dasgeh 71787 wrote:

BTW, Hope to see you on a Kidical Mass Arlington ride sometime! We have lots of fun types of bikes to ogle…

Thanks! I definitely want to do that, most likely once it warms up a bit, since I’ll be coming up from Alexandria and don’t want to ask too much of my passengers. We got the longtail pretty recently (barely missed the Halloween kidical) and I want the kids to really love their early experiences on it. I know, this would be a piece of cake with a box bike that included a rain/wind tent…

cvcalhoun
    Participant

I suppose I should be grateful that my bike is only about 64 lbs.–a hybrid bike, plus various accessories, plus panniers, plus whatever is in the panniers at the time. However, knowing that Strava thinks that no bicycle is more than 50 lbs. at least makes me feel a bit better about the fact that my average mph is only about 8. In my defense, many of my rides are up and down Wisconsin Avenue, and that two-mile uphill out of Georgetown definitely lowers my average speed!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.