Strava discriminates against heavy bikes

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Strava discriminates against heavy bikes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    peterw_diy
    Participant

I decided to populate the Gear data for my account and add my longtail family bike. What says Strava?

“The weight must be at most 50lbs”

Ha. My longtail is probably 60 pounds all on its own, and when I ride it I generally have another 30-100 pounds of gear and non-pedaling passengers loaded on it. But sure, Strava, if you can’t conceive of an, um, “athlete” riding a bike heavier than 50 pounds, I guess that’s what I’ll tell you. You’ll think I’m pathetic for my uphill speeds. But you know what, it’s your fault. Suck it, Strava.

KLizotte
    Participant

I wonder if they are trying to weed out ebikes?

peterw_diy
    Participant

@KLizotte 71686 wrote:

I wonder if they are trying to weed out ebikes?

I certainly think they don’t want to be associated with those types. Or adults on trikes. The horror! This is a social network for athletes, people!

dkel
    Participant

When I get my ELITE frame made out of beryllium, it will only way a couple of pounds, and Strava’s MINIMUM weight is 11 pounds…:rolleyes:

jcpetrson
    Participant

@peterw_diy 71673 wrote:

Suck it, Strava.

That’s a lot of hatred for a free site.

Rod Smith
    Participant

Tell me about it! Most of my miles are pulling a trailer (45lb), plus handtruck (15lb), Rubbermaid bin with supplies (15lb). Add bike with rack, lock, and bottles (34lb). Does heavy duty large Chrome backpack with radio and phone strapped to it count? More weight when I’m actually transporting large packages. I think I told Strava my body weight was 180 and they were asking for kilograms. Although I’m near the bottom on most segment leaderboards, my wattage is pretty high! :)

Tim Kelley
    Participant

If you really want to be elite, you could just ride everywhere with a power meter and not have to worry about Strava trying to make estimates based off of rider/bike weight…

mstone
    Participant

I’d actually love to see a bakfiets with a power meter. Suck it, racers. :D

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@mstone 71767 wrote:

I’d actually love to see a bakfiets with a power meter.

A Stages crank that fits both a cargo bike and a cross bike makes sense to me.

dasgeh
    Participant

@mstone 71767 wrote:

I’d actually love to see a bakfiets with a power meter. Suck it, racers. :D

I know a bakfiets you could install one on…

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@dasgeh 71771 wrote:

I know a bakfiets you could install one on…

Wouldn’t your electric assist mess up the data?

mstone
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 71772 wrote:

One person’s “mess up” is another person’s “hilarious bar to set”. I recommend a hub power meter for best effect.

dasgeh
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 71772 wrote:

What mstone said.

But as a serious question, would hub e-assist mess up a crank power meter?

And sometimes “we” turn off e-assist. And by “we” I mean “my husband”.

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@mstone 71773 wrote:

One person’s “mess up” is another person’s “hilarious bar to set”. I recommend a hub power meter for best effect.

I would think that a hub based power meter would under report an e-assist bike, if the e-assist was front wheel based. (Is there such a thing a e-assist rear wheel that incorporates a power meter as well?)

mstone
    Participant

I have no idea how an e bike works, and was assuming something like a motorcycle. It is a much harder problem to solve if the motor is in the hub.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.