Report a Trail Problem

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions Report a Trail Problem

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    mstone
    Participant

@Steve O 172606 wrote:

I wouldn’t necessarily assume that. I had a couple of good experiences using the VDOT Report a Problem getting debris cleared off parts of the Rte 50 trail in Arlington. Give it a try.

I’ve been told directly by VDOT reps that they don’t clear debris from sidepaths. Arlington is its own planet as far as VDOT, so I wouldn’t try to extrapolate from there to Fairfax.

Steve O
    Participant

@mstone 172684 wrote:

I’ve been told directly by VDOT reps that they don’t clear debris from sidepaths. Arlington is its own planet as far as VDOT, so I wouldn’t try to extrapolate from there to Fairfax.

Someone told me the same thing when I mentioned the Arlington issues, but it worked anyway.

Ellen
    Participant

There is a dangerous low hanging sign on the Roosevelt bridge. Someone must have moved the sign lower when working on the bridge – my husband got banged in the head by the sign while riding this morning. Fortunately his helmet took most of the impact, but it didn’t do his neck any good.

huskerdont
    Participant

@Ellen 176872 wrote:

There is a dangerous low hanging sign on the Roosevelt bridge. Someone must have moved the sign lower when working on the bridge – my husband got banged in the head by the sign while riding this morning. Fortunately his helmet took most of the impact, but it didn’t do his neck any good.

I’ve noted the sign was lower and thought it happened after our big windstorm. I think it’s actually slipping down further as time goes by because Friday I needed to duck a bit for the first time. I will look into reporting it with DCs 311 or whatever it is.

Ellen
    Participant

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17699[/ATTACH]
    The bottom of the sign is 5’5″ from the sidewalk (I measured it this morning).

Judd
    Participant

@Ellen 176897 wrote:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17699[/ATTACH]
    The bottom of the sign is 5’5″ from the sidewalk (I measured it this morning).

Is that a two piece sign? I know a guy at the DC Department of Transformation (if the real DC Department of 311 doesn’t address it in a day or two) that can reach the bolts midway up the sign but probably doesn’t want to stand on the rail to reach the top bolt.

huskerdont
    Participant

Apparently the DC 311 site requires all information be entered, including a photo. Without a photo, it would not allow me to enter the problem. Since you have the photo…

Ellen
    Participant

I went on the DC 311 chat – Ebony will report the problem.

huskerdont
    Participant

I took pics yesterday and will report it today as well. The more the better with this sort of thing.

huskerdont
    Participant

@Judd 176902 wrote:

Is that a two piece sign? I know a guy at the DC Department of Transformation (if the real DC Department of 311 doesn’t address it in a day or two) that can reach the bolts midway up the sign but probably doesn’t want to stand on the rail to reach the top bolt.

Juddster, here is the sign from the back. One piece, one bracket, quite rusted, slipped down to that giant hose clamp, which looks like it was attached to the lower part of the sign for extra stability before coming loose in the wind.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17702[/ATTACH]

Judd
    Participant

@huskerdont 176919 wrote:

Juddster, here is the sign from the back. One piece, one bracket, quite rusted, slipped down to that giant hose clamp, which looks like it was attached to the lower part of the sign for extra stability before coming loose in the wind.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17702[/ATTACH]

Nice! Is somebody able to turn the sign so it’s perpendicular to the bridge before help can arrive?

huskerdont
    Participant

Hey Judd. Someone may have turned it as much as they could away from the outbound direction of travel such that any blow would be a bit more glancing. The rusty bracket did not want to move any further with the amount of force that person was willing to apply to it.

lordofthemark
    Participant

@huskerdont 176926 wrote:

Hey Judd. Someone may have turned it as much as they could away from the outbound direction of travel such that any blow would be a bit more glancing. The rusty bracket did not want to move any further with the amount of force that person was willing to apply to it.

Don’t be afraid. Take a bad sign, and make it better.

bentbike33
    Participant

@lordofthemark 176930 wrote:

Don’t be afraid. Take a bad sign, and make it better.

The minute
    you turn it toward the river
    then you begin
    to make it safer.

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

McCartney wept.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.