Report a Pothole

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions Report a Pothole

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    SarahBee
    Participant

@Fulton 201711 wrote:

Careful if you ride down Marshall Drive (the downhill that goes from the back gate of Fort Meyer, where Meade Street ends, along the cemetery and Netherlands Carillon and Iwo Jima Memorial) to Route 110. Very deep and long pothole.

I contacted Arlington, which informed me that it’s NPS jurisdiction. I called NPS and reported it. Fingers crossed that they fix it soon.

It’s a doozy and at this location only taking the full lane is remotely safe. Just waiting for an Arlington cop to give me my annual ticket and mansplainy lecture :)

arlcxrider
    Participant

@SarahBee 201735 wrote:

It’s a doozy and at this location only taking the full lane is remotely safe. Just waiting for an Arlington cop to give me my annual ticket and mansplainy lecture :)

You could “explain back” to the ACPD that they’re in murky territory jurisdiction-wise on that road. :) That’s my normal commute route and I’ve only ever seen JBMHH (Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall) cops patrolling there. It is a nasty pothole. Usually not a problem to take the lane, moving downhill at a good clip. Hard for anyone to argue you’re impeding traffic.

SarahBee
    Participant

@arlcxrider 201737 wrote:

You could “explain back” to the ACPD that they’re in murky territory jurisdiction-wise on that road. :) That’s my normal commute route and I’ve only ever seen JBMHH (Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall) cops patrolling there. It is a nasty pothole. Usually not a problem to take the lane, moving downhill at a good clip. Hard for anyone to argue you’re impeding traffic.

I’ll try that next time. On a side note, I rode it yesterday morning, there was a car behind tailgating me who hit the pothole hard, I dodged. Their windows were open and I heard them cursing. So gratifying; it made my morning :)

arlcxrider
    Participant

Heh–if they had been paying attention you were their “early warning” device. “Hey, what’s that cyclist doing way over to the left?” KER-THUNK… Oh…

wheelswings
    Participant

@Fulton 201711 wrote:

Careful if you ride down Marshall Drive (the downhill that goes from the back gate of Fort Meyer, where Meade Street ends, along the cemetery and Netherlands Carillon and Iwo Jima Memorial) to Route 110. Very deep and long pothole.

I contacted Arlington, which informed me that it’s NPS jurisdiction. I called NPS and reported it. Fingers crossed that they fix it soon.

Hi Fulton. Are the street signs at Marshall/Meade and Marshall/110 the Arlington colors, black on white? Did someone in NPS actually confirm that this is their land? I called an NPS contact this evening and read him the above description of the location, and based on what you wrote he said your initial instinct was correct…that this road is Arlington County’s land. He said he once had to get Arlington’s permission to transport a heavy truckload for NPS on that very road. He said a lot of people are confused since it runs between monuments.

(But if your NPS person is taking responsibility and has agreed to fix the pothole, then great, they’re welcome to fix it!)

Judd
    Participant

It appears from the County GIS maps that Marshall is on a parcel of land owned by Ft. Meyer and may be the next place to go if NPS denies ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SarahBee
    Participant

@wheels&wings 201745 wrote:

Hi Fulton. Are the street signs at Marshall/Meade and Marshall/110 the Arlington colors, black on white? Did someone in NPS actually confirm that this is their land? I called an NPS contact this evening and read him the above description of the location, and based on what you wrote he said your initial instinct was correct…that this road is Arlington County’s land. He said he once had to get Arlington’s permission to transport a heavy truckload for NPS on that very road. He said a lot of people are confused since it runs between monuments.

(But if your NPS person is taking responsibility and has agreed to fix the pothole, then great, they’re welcome to fix it!)

The street sign is black letters in white background. Would have taken a pic this morning, but I was running late.

arlcxrider
    Participant

Site below indicates Marshall Drive between N. Meade and VA Rt 110 is “federal.” Presumably NPS handles snow removal as well.

https://transportation.arlingtonva.us/streets/state-roads/

dbb
    Participant

Alas, the Arlington map that shows snow removal seems to “lump” all non-Arlington responsibilities as VDOT

https://arlgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/PublicInformation/index.html?appid=217dfb1423b54b21a885091305a03679

It shows VDOT clearing the GWMP and the cobblestone section of Memorial Drive. It seems that Arlington was a bit cavalier in the coding.

arlcxrider
    Participant

As of this evening, the potholes in question have been filled. So, the request got into the right hands.

dbb
    Participant

A look at the County parcel records suggests that the Army owns Marshall down to the turn into the Cemetery, then the Cemetery owns a bit of it before it becomes VDOT property. NPS property line is to the north of Marshall, so they may not be involved at all.

I fear that may not be totally accurate as there is no property tax revenue to be had, so Arlington may not be paying too much attention.

Fulton
    Participant

@arlcxrider 201760 wrote:

As of this evening, the potholes in question have been filled. So, the request got into the right hands.

Thanks, all, for this discussion. Thanks to ARLCXRIDER, we know the repair has been done.

I don’t know if my call alone drove the solution, but note for future use the NPS number I called (which Arlington had given me).

It was 703-289-2500. A real (and courteous person) answered it and evidently took note of my report.

Cheers … Happy July 4 … Safe riding.

Fulton

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.