Pointless Prize: Wandrer’ About

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Pointless Prize: Wandrer’ About

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Dachs6
    Participant

Carol, thanks for the request…I overlooked making everyone an editor! That should be fixed now. If not, everyone please send requests, as Carol did, and I will grant permission as soon as I see it.

LhasaCM
    Participant

@dachs6 wrote:

Carol, et al., in my experience, the lag in tallying new miles on Wandrer is most prominent at the “busiest” times, which historically for me has translated to (East Coast) mid-day to early evening hours on Saturday and Sunday, and early evening M-F. YMMV.

To add to the YMMV caveat – there can be more variance in lag for unpaid users (in addition to having your entire history uploaded, paid subscribers get “priority processing of activities”)

sszibler
    Participant

It seems unfair that I lost another 11 miles of new wadrering tonight because I deleted my back-up ride (it showed about 2 miles less because I must have forgot to turn it on again after a mechanical). Isn’t there some way to reset it to pick up the new miles? It still exists on Garmin connect.

Dachs6
    Participant

@sszibler, the Wandrer site pulls only from Strava, as far as I can tell. In my experience, the ride you deleted from Strava will also disappear from Wandrer. At some point, Wandrer should automatically update the correct (remaining) ride in Strava…though it may not write to the activity description on Strava.

Dachs6
    Participant

REMINDER:

Please check Wandrer per the instructions I posted on February 27 (in page 3 of this thread) to find your mileage and then update your mileage in the google sheet. I cannot do this for you, as I cannot see your dashboards.

Thanks, Andy

LhasaCM
    Participant

@sszibler wrote:

It seems unfair that I lost another 11 miles of new wadrering tonight because I deleted my back-up ride (it showed about 2 miles less because I must have forgot to turn it on again after a mechanical). Isn’t there some way to reset it to pick up the new miles? It still exists on Garmin connect.

As @Dachs6 said – you should still have credit for the miles (maybe with a lag) since the activity should still show up in Wandrer, even if the activity description doesn’t say it.  You can always check the “big map” on Wandrer to confirm that the new* roads you rode on are showing as ridden.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

It looks like Wandrer is down. Last night’s ride, which took me over a lot of roads I’ve never seen before, shows no new miles on Strava. And when I went to the Wandrer site, I get a Cloudflare error. Sigh!

arlcxrider
    Participant

Got my March 1 data uploaded, but it required math. 🙂 Took the “this year” data and subtracted off March.

This is pretty illusory. As a non-subscriber it did not mine all my Strava data going back to 2019. While I have made more of an effort to explore new routes since Jan 1, not all those 532 miles are “new” to me, but those are the rules…

matteblack
    Participant

@arlcxrider – 532 miles?!? I guess I can start working on increasing my average speed then because I’m pretty sure you’re out of reach for me! 😲😢😅

That being said, I’m still going to see if I can’t finish the areas I’m focused on before 3/18 rolls around:  Centreville (> 90%), Chantilly (> 70%), Vienna (> 70%) and Fairfax (> 70%).

arlcxrider
    Participant

Even relatively tiny Arlington County (the 26 square miles the politicos harp on constantly) has 367 miles of county-maintained streets. (VDOT controls Glebe Road, Arlington Blvd., Langston and so forth for additional miles.) I’m missing quite a bit of Arlington–and going down every dead-end street does put the whammy on the average times.

LhasaCM
    Participant

@arlcxrider wrote:

Even relatively tiny Arlington County (the 26 square miles the politicos harp on constantly) has 367 miles of county-maintained streets. (VDOT controls Glebe Road, Arlington Blvd., Langston and so forth for additional miles.) I’m missing quite a bit of Arlington–and going down every dead-end street does put the whammy on the average times.

Yeah – Wandrer has 565 miles of streets/trails/etc. for Arlington.  DC has 1336 miles (within its 61 square miles of land) – pretty darn close in terms of density.

It’s a shame that Wandrer doesn’t track unique miles by year (rather than just the progress on the “lifetime” total, where “lifetime” is limited by the data it ingests) to make it easier to have a more “comparable” set of data for this leaderboard, but such is life!

LhasaCM
    Participant

I’m reasonably confident that riding down to FSLNHPP will result in no new miles, so I’ve gone ahead and posted my tally in the spreadsheet.

CaseyKane50
    Participant

Added my final tally into the spreadsheet.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

For the comfort of those disadvantaged by having already been Wandrer members, I will point out that I managed to come in dead last in spite of being a new and unpaid member.

LhasaCM
    Participant

@cvcalhoun – there are a lot of blank spaces in the spreadsheet right now, so who knows where you’ll end up?  Besides – that’s still an impressive total to have racked up while also hunting flags (soooo many flags), public art, whatever the day’s scavenger hunt was, and as applicable, finding feverish photos.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.