Pointless Prize: Wandrer’ About

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Pointless Prize: Wandrer’ About

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Laurie E.
    Participant

I just join but I don’t know how to find new rodes for me.  My account is all set up, my rides from strava has been loaded.  New roads on the rides that I have took has been identified.  But how do I make a route with new to me roads?  What do I do now??

LhasaCM
    Participant

In Wandrer on the “big map” you can toggle settings to show you just “new to you” roads.

If you’re a paid subscriber, Wandrer has a browser extension that interacts with popular route planning sites (e.g., RideWithGPS, Strava, Garmin Connect, etc.) so that it can add a map layer to wherever you plan routes.  (I haven’t used that myself.)

For a free user, you’ll just have to have two windows open so you can see in Wandrer your untraveled roads and plan a route accordingly. (This is what I do anyway.)

Joan
    Participant

Please include me in the Wandrer about PP.

Forum name Joan / Strava name Joan Britt (9133135)

Thank you!

Dachs6
    Participant

Still figuring this out…there will be a pointless prize. As for concerns about premium accounts vice non-premium accounts and mileage accrual.  Here’s the deal: when you make account, it pulls the data from your last 50 activities, credits only those rides fro your starting history (unless you opt in for premium, then it pulls ALL of your Strava data), then begins adding to it. Non-premium accounts DO NOT do a 50 activity rollover, meaning if you pulled 50 rides, and go ride, it does not erase the data on ride #1 so it can add ride #51. Non-premium accounts start the Wandrer count from the 50th oldest ride at time of joining.

As some have pointed out, this may put long time users are a disadvantage, since most of us do most of our rides from the same 2-3 places, meaning we have limited options for adding to our map. Take me for instance, I live in a place where I can ride extensively, and rides of 100km from my house typically add 50km if I am judicious about route planning, but those routes are inefficient and my avg speed is low and I am forced to figure out the trade off between total ride distance and new Wandrer miles. If fact, I often have to get 20-30km from my house or work to find a few new miles.

More to follow…waiting on a reply from the Wandrer admin.

Also, one other note, I am NOT able to provide troubleshooting/support if you cannot get Wandrer to sync with Strava, for any reason. I don’t know how the API works, I just know that it does. And, obviously, I have no connection to the web-app beyond being a user myself. Thanks for your understanding.

Thanks for sponsoring this! Please add me, I love to wander.

karenbikes2 / Karen Hass (38633292)

ahano
    Participant

Hope its not too late to sign up! Ahano/Akiko Hamada-Ano 36388817

arlcxrider
    Participant

Please add me:

arlcxrider / Paul Wilson (43537271)

Rod Smith
    Participant

OK, watch out, I’ve got ten new miles this year already! Rod Smith strava.com/athletes/1129136

matteblack
    Participant

Suprise, surprise, surprise:  I’ve actually been riding new roads over the past month!  My goal over the next month and a half is to completely finish Centreville and Chantilly (both currently just north of 50%), and will add Fairfax and Vienna as bonus targets.

This has definitely been a fun activity, but it hasn’t been a fast one.  Riding down endless courts in pursuit of getting rid of red lines on the Wandrer Big Map does nothing for the average speed but bring it down.  Oh well, at least I’m building a base for the spring miles to come. 😎

sszibler
    Participant

So, where do we see how we’re doing with new miles? Contact me on Facebook or Strava, please.

Dachs6
    Participant

Hey friends, I’ve been a bit hands off on this Pointless Prize for a few weeks. You may have noticed I’ve been riding my bike…but, it’s time to refocus my training because the Barry-Roubaix Psycho Killer is in a little less than 7 weeks and that means less volume, more structure, and some free time off the bike not just eating, sleeping, and working!

But, I’m here and ready to focus full attention on Wandrer’ About now. Fortunately, given the nature of how this prize works, it doesn’t require a whole lot of work on my part to maintain it. That falls on you! You have to go ride on new roads and ways. So, that said, here’s some updates and general thoughts:

• I should have everyone captured now, please check post #2 in this thread and verify you are on there, if not, let me know and I’ll get it updated…this is important because,
    • At this link you will find a Google Sheet that has 3 dates (1 Mar, 9 Mar, 18 Mar) to post your “new miles” total. Remember, these are “new to you” as captured by Wandrer based on your subscription level.
      • For 1 and 9, it is not important to be exact, if you miss by a day, that’s fine, it’s just a way to start tallying where each of us are at for BAFS24.
      • The 18 Mar tally requires precision to work. You must post your Wandrer total AFTER you finish your ride on 18 Mar, even if that ride finishes at 11:59:59pm, but before you log any new miles. The cutoff for accrual is the same timing as BAFS.
      • I will aim to validate your mileage with the Wandrer team by Friday 22 Mar. To help toward that end, please look on the linked Google sheet and compare the number in parenthesis with that on your unique Wandrer ID (you can find it by selecting “Settings” from drop down on the top, far right in the menu bar of the page and then scrolling to the bottom of the settings page). If I have NOT added your Wandrer ID (appears to only be drevil right now) to the sheet by 9 Mar, DM me.

Also, final decision…for this year, there is only one category of Wandrer: anyone who Wandrers. Yes, as @matteblack noted above, if you’ve ridden the main roads, and now have to fill in neighborhoods, it’s not efficient or fast. But, if you are a serious Wandrer, you were going to have to do it at some point anyhow. So, why not now?

cvcalhoun
    Participant

I’m trying to figure out how the March 18 tally works. A whole lot of us ride until 11:59 at the FSLNHHP. We then have to turn off Strava to make sure that ride counts for Freezing Saddles. However, we have to ride home from there, so we immediately start a new ride. And Wandrer does not seem to recognize miles immediately. I’m not sure how long it takes, but my impression is that it’s sometimes more than an hour. So how do you ensure it will record the March 18 miles without recording the March 19 miles before you do your count?

It seems to me the only way for this to work is to allow them to do the count after recording some March 19 miles, but then to subtract the March 19 miles.

LhasaCM
    Participant

To @cvcalhoun’s question – yes, I think because of the lag from when rides are uploaded to when mileage is calculated and how some people might be riding late/early, folks will just need to look at the what’s reported as the “year to date” total at that time and manually subtract any March 19 rides that are there.  Or to avoid any math, just make sure you don’t ride on any new roads March 19 before grabbing the data.  Whatever’s easier for you.

Dachs6
    Participant

@cvcalhoun said:

“I’m trying to figure out how the March 18 tally works. A whole lot of us ride until 11:59 at the FSLNHHP. We then have to turn off Strava to make sure that ride counts for Freezing Saddles. However, we have to ride home from there, so we immediately start a new ride. And Wandrer does not seem to recognize miles immediately. I’m not sure how long it takes, but my impression is that it’s sometimes more than an hour. So how do you ensure it will record the March 18 miles without recording the March 19 miles before you do your count?”

Carol, et al., in my experience, the lag in tallying new miles on Wandrer is most prominent at the “busiest” times, which historically for me has translated to (East Coast) mid-day to early evening hours on Saturday and Sunday, and early evening M-F. YMMV. My recommendation is that you take a look at Wandrer on your phone (if you can) and see if the ride you uploaded get counted. If it doesn’t populate within a minute or two on the activity page, so that you can then check your dashboard for the total mileage, just screenshot the activity (even if it is not crediting new miles yet), and continue on home (or wherever you’re headed), then send me a note and we will work it out. I trust that everyone here is being on the up and up and we can get this arranged, ev en if I have to do it with you manually.

BTW, just so everyone knows, my mileage is going to be posted for posterity, but if I wasn’t clear, I am not counting myself in the leaderboard for the prize, since my goal is encouraging you all to find the new roads. So keep Wandrerin’!

cvcalhoun
    Participant

@dachs6 wrote:

At this link you will find a Google Sheet that has 3 dates (1 Mar, 9 Mar, 18 Mar) to post your “new miles” total. Remember, these are “new to you” as captured by Wandrer based on your subscription level.

Just for everyone else’s reference, in order to post your miles on that sheet, you need to request editing access. I got it very quickly when I went to the spreadsheet and requested it.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.