Pointless Prize: Rescuing Food by Bike

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Pointless Prize: Rescuing Food by Bike

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    sktrMarti
    Participant

Hello everyone! My 3 rescue attempts have all been cancelled around 8:30pm the night before. Good news is the Food Rescue staff have been very supportive. I really want this to work and not be a negative sign.

CBGanimal
    Participant

@kwarkentien 226980 wrote:

I’ve done several rescues pre-BAFS and think this is a great program. Might I suggest a small change for the Challenge? Instead of mileage, how about we tag the ride where we did a rescue with #foodrescue and then just tally the total number of rescues completed? If you did more than one rescue (not several trips for the same rescue), then mark it with an “x2” (or whatever number of rescues conducted) at the end of the hashtag. This will be easier than having to do multiple “rides” to separate out food rescue miles. [mention]Henry [/mention] , what do you think about this modification?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ditto this if this PPrize guru considers it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CBGanimal
    Participant

Henry, today was the first day I did rescues that would count toward this pointless prize. I did 2 rescues and having to start and stop and start and stop strava 5 times to make all my miles count really made my fingers freeze. If possible I’d like to only participate on the part of this prize that counts how many rescues I do vs how many miles. I can imagine you can verify my number thru the app of those with my name on them and that I completed them? I’ll still put the #foodrescue in my title if that helps. Thanks for considering

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EvaReynolds
    Participant

Hey all! Apologies for my radio silence, the forum website transition stopped my notifications so I’ve missed this entire conversation. I agree that simplifying the food rescue tally makes sense – no need to freeze fingers.

@CBGanimal
    , I’m so happy you’ve had such success with your rescues! I’ve loved seeing your name all over the app.

@sktrMarti
    I’m so sorry that you’ve had no luck with Tatte, I’m sure Kate has conveyed our difficulty with them. We’re happy that they do such good business that they sell out often, and it’s easiest for us to plan for a rescue than to scramble someone last-minute; but it is always sad to have to cancel our volunteers. I’m considering adding “(Tentative! See notes)” to underscore the fact that people shouldn’t build their morning around a rescue that often gets cancelled.

@cvcalhoun
    good note about the Levain Bethesda. I think the Georgetown location’s donations are typically smaller so we assumed Bethesda would be similar, but I might remove the Bikeable tag in that case. The same rescue is open for MLK Day 1/15, if you want to bike that round again 😉

Henry
    Keymaster

I am all for simplicity. Since we’re still in the first week, I think we can just make it a single metric of Total Food Rescues, and then just mark them with the #foodrescue hashbrown. One rescue ride = one point.

Does anyone strongly object to this change?

Henry

agroves
    Participant

This is such a cool idea! Thanks for putting it together! I had never heard of this program, but I’ve now signed up for two rescues next week! Time to get my commuter bike fully ready for cargo! I also agree with the earlier comments about the rescue being what counts as opposed to miles.

CBGanimal
    Participant

Thank you Henry for the simplicity…If I do 2 or 3 rescues in one day I just put that many hashtag rescue in my title.  I’m loving all the new “friends” I’ve met and the mental challenge of getting 200 bagels on my bike!!!

agroves
    Participant

Is there a reason this pointless isn’t being tracked on the FS website? Just curious…

EvaReynolds
    Participant

Hey @agroves, first off thank you for always commenting “Freezing Saddles” when you close your rescues! It makes it a lot easier to track/corroborate. I’ve just checked in with Henry, apparently the pointless prize tracker is in the webmaster queue aka it should be appearing on the FS site soon.

agroves
    Participant

@EvaReynolds Thanks so much for the update! I figured it was something like that, many thanks to the wonderful volunteers who put on FS and handle the website! Glad the commenting is helpful, I’ve been enjoying the rescues, especially since “adopting” a route.

CBGanimal
    Participant

@Henry any update on a pointless prize tracker?  Thanks!

Henry
    Keymaster

Nope. As with many volunteer endeavors, looks like this one didn’t get made. Will get the final results from @EvaReynolds and announce at BAFSHH.

Henry

Henry
    Keymaster
Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.